on 9 February 2014
Following Nina Stibbe's entertaining and very readable collection of letters to her sister, written during her period employed as nanny to the delightful Frears children during the 1980's, a huge and troubling lacuna remained, how was Sam Frears ?.
The delight in finding that "Being Sam Frears" was a recent mini biography of a very extant Sam , who has suffered the appalling and worsening rigours of the Riley- Day syndrome since birth, made the book a must. The humorous and stoic Sam the younger brother is more concerned about incipient baldness and West Ham than the more deleterious features of "the Riley-Day" as Sam refers it.
A satisfying companion to the serendipitous "Love Nina".
on 14 July 2014
Very moving story about a young man with a horrific disease. I bought this as "Love Nina" was my favourite book of last year. The style is direct and it's a short book and it was nice to "catch up" with the people from Nina Stibbe's book
on 12 August 2014
Amazing

Could not stop reading until the end. Sam is so brave, funny and completely charismatic. The story of Sam's life and how he and his mother cope with his illness is extraordinary. Nothing less than life affirming.
on 22 November 2014
I knew a bit about Sam as a child having read 'Love Nina' - which I absolutely loved. This was a further insight into this interesting man's life, beautifully and sensitively observed and written..a really special little book and I thoroughly recommend it.
on 18 December 2014
I bought this because I was interested to know what happened after reading about him in Love Nina. It is a very short book and ends abruptly but I was pleased that he is coping with a difficult lide.
on 15 August 2015
Interesting to learn more of Sam, from Love, Nina...Despatches from Family Life. More educative than thrilling, but an interesting and worthwhile read.
on 14 September 2014
Read this cos Sam was my fave in Love, Nina. Nice to catch up with the older Sam. Would have liked to have spent longer with him in the book.
on 2 December 2015
Excellent little book. I was left wanting more. I read it after reading a book called 'Love Nina' which Sam played a part in.
on 12 August 2014
I finished the Love Nina book & wanted to know more about Sam . He's an amazing chap blessed by amazing family & friends
on 19 October 2014
Very interesting and moving. Also read Love, Nina by Nina Stibbe about the same family!