5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution of the series doesn't detract from its brilliance
I was reluctant to buy Dead Space 3 due to the amount of negative reviews claiming it's not scary and has lost its way. I loved the first game but thought the second was average at best, with a nice multiplayer option. I was offered a digital download code via Origin for 15 so took the plunge and boy am I glad I did!

It's true this isn't strictly survival...
Published 14 months ago by A. Burton

Dead Space is one of the finest game series' ever created. Its levels of ingenuity and originality are combined with a first rate control system and result in a game that should not be missed, even in light of its issues. I'll cover both the positives and negatives with no spoilers.

Published 3 months ago by O. Hancox

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution of the series doesn't detract from its brilliance, 8 May 2013
A. Burton (Up me bum on second shelf) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

It's true this isn't strictly survival horror like the first game, but I'm glad they didn't just make another Dead Space 1.5 (which is exactly what they did for DS2). But the evolution makes complete sense within the context of the series. Isaac Clarke isn't an engineer fighting for his life anymore, he's a man on a mission, and his experience dealing with Necromorphs mirrors the player's, we're used to fighting them now and have been given an arsenal of weapons much more suitable for dispatching them.

The new weapon crafting option has really opened up the game's combat in some interesting ways, whilst at the same time, made some of the more traditional options redundant. The Plasma-Cutter for instance, is rendered completely pointless, it's slow, deals too little damage and you'll discard it the first chance you get. That's a shame, because not only was it a brilliant weapon, its core attribute of shooting off limbs has also been made redundant in favour of massive firepower weapons that will just blow away everything in their path. However, now that you can craft your own choice of weapon, you have total freedom to pick any two weapons old and new and combine them into one weapon with two fire modes (plus additional bonus effects like electrocution or acid rounds). The previously useless Force Gun which just pushes enemies away and deals a very small amount of damage, becomes an incredibly useful secondary fire option on just about any weapon. I've teamed it up with the Chain-Gun, which is a bullet hose with a clip of 110 rounds and a ridiculous rate of fire. It ranks along side any weapon I've ever used in a shoot-em-up game in the satisfaction stakes, an absolute joy to behold.

This crafting system can kill the pace of the game somewhat, I repeatedly found myself backtracking to a work-bench to modify weapons to my liking, but I imagine on the second play through, now I've got a good feel for it, I'll just pick my favourites and get on with it.

The main reason I bought Dead Space 3 was for the co-op option, which is something I've longed for since the original, and it doesn't disappoint. It's been the most enjoyable co-op experience I've had since the original Halo, which is a statement in itself. The game really does feel much more like a fast paced shooter when played with a friend, we absolutely blasted through the first eight levels and I'm really looking forward to finishing our joint play through. Playing it in co-op makes a lot of the design decisions seem like very good ones, it would have been a disaster to make a co-op game built on suspense and tension when you're laughing with your friend over the microphone all the time.

I'd also like to address the issue of Origin, I've previously avoided digital DRM downloads, I don't have Steam installed on my machine, but had Origin already for Crysis 3 and it's been fantastic. I have two PCs at home, one is cutting edge and the other is an aging Athlon X2 machine. Origin syncs your save games in the 'cloud' so when my partner comes into our living room and kindly requests I turn this 'disgusting hideous game' off, I simply go upstairs and continue my game on the other machine immediately - very, very handy! It also scales remarkably well, it looks stunning on my large TV, and plays remarkably well on my five year old machine whilst still looking better than an Xbox 360 game, I was really impressed with both.

The final point I'd like to mention is the sound, both the score (which is hauntingly similar to Aliens) and the effects are absolutely fantastic and really add to the experience.

So it's not the ground-breaking masterpiece of the original - it never could have been - but it has evolved into a very solid, hugely entertaining, dark, fun game. What it lacks in nerve shredding tension, it makes up for in sheer adrenaline pumping thrills and I don't think they could have done a better job.

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review of Dead Space 3., 12 Aug 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
As a fan of the series since its first installment, I had high expectations for number 3, so here are my thoughts on each particular part of the game.

Story: Without giving too much away, the game is set a couple months after the end of the 2nd game. Isaac is a broken man, which does show throughout the story. His main priority? Find the woman he loves, Ellie, with the whole "save Earth and humanity" thing coming second. That's all I'll say about the story, but in my opinion it is particularly engaging especially if you've played the second game.

Gameplay: While the 1st and 2nd game have fairly significant differences, the 3rd game will feel pretty familiar to you if you've played number 2, on single player anyway. Cutting the limbs off of Necromorphs is still the most effective way to kill those abominations, however the Plasma Cutter is more under-powered this time around, with it taking 6 shots on the Normal difficulty setting (3 for each arm or leg) so you'll want to upgrade it as soon as possible, which brings me nicely onto the Bench. The Bench is completely different this time. Power Nodes are gone, and instead have been replaced by Upgrade Circuits which you'll find scattered around throughout your journey. You can only have 4 upgrade circuits applied to each weapon, unless you have a second weapon attachment, which will bring it up to 8 upgrade circuits.

Co-op campaign is a new addition to the franchise, what's great about this is that there is NO A.I. controlled bot in single player, it's just Isaac, with the dialogue being somewhat altered if you're playing with a friend or a stranger.

In Dead Space 1 and 2 you were allowed to have 4 weapons on you at all times, this is not the case in Dead Space 3. You're limited to 2 weapons, but if you have a weapon attachment on each gun then it effectively brings it back up to 4 again. Visceral made an interesting decision there, and it DOES work. It supports creativity, you can make an electrified Plasma Cutter, or a Pulse Rifle with a flamethrower attachment, almost any weapon you desire can be made in this game if you have the necessary resources.

There was a lot of criticism towards Dead Space 3 prior to and on its release, first for its apparent lack of scares, which it has to be said, is completely true. The game isn't scary, and that's very much the case if you've played the previous games. And secondly the micro-transactions, which really pissed off a lot of fans. The micro-transactions don't really stick out like a sore thumb though, they really are just there for lazy people. There is a known glitch that allows you to duplicate resources as much as you want, which Visceral themselves have acknowledged and would probably rather you exploit the glitch than avoid it and pay with real money, which is odd but not unwelcome of them.

Bonus content and other modes: After you've completed the game, you'll be allowed to start a new game with whatever equipment you had when you finished your first play-through, Classic mode will be unlocked (Single player and Dead Space 1 weapons only) as well as Pure Survival, a mode that forces you to scavenge for resources to make health and ammo (you will never FIND health or ammo in this mode). Hard core difficulty also returns for you to attempt. Dead Space 2's hard core difficulty allowed the player to save the game 3 times with no checkpoints. It was tough, but not as tough as it is in Dead Space 3. Here, you get NO saves and if you die, it's back to the beginning, though you can save and quit, then resume from where you left off again at any time (if you haven't died).

So to sum up, the game is NOT scary, there's no ability to skip cut-scenes which has been a lingering issue throughout the whole series. Also the Advanced Suit doesn't return this time, which personally really annoyed me, but that's just me.

Overall, the game is fun while it lasts, which is a good 12 hours the first time around. However you'll likely grow tired of never being able to skip those damn cut-scenes on your 2nd or 3rd replay.

7.5/10

2.0 out of 5 stars A good game struggling to get past its EA inflicted drawbacks, 7 April 2014
O. Hancox - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

Graphics: Usual Dead Space quality, very clear and very good. Not quite as up to date in my opinion as the previous two games were for their time, but this doesn't detract from the presentation.

UI(User Interface's): For the most part the same very cool floating holographic interfaces as seen in the previous games. I won't spoil any story elements when explaining why, but for story reasons the interfaces in the world (stores, doors etc.) are all screens and styled to look old. Whilst this is in theory fitting with the setting, it doesn't feel quite right. Its difficult to explain, but the devs could have implemented the old-style in a better, more attractive way. Just because its old, doesn't mean its simple and ugly. The design philosophy was a little bit newb-level on that one.

Story: As I'm not including any spoilers I'll stick to general terms. Its a rather simple story. Its gone to a huge, far reaching scale that further pushes the series into the 'action' game area rather than the 'horror' area that the first game sat in so perfectly. To add insult to injury, its not even convincing and is full of rather predictable and lame hollywood-style(i.e.only suitable for children and the unimaginative) twists that barely interest the player and a Jeremy Kyle relationship sideshow that leaves you clawing at your ears. If you want a Dead Space 1 style story full of intrique, horror and insanity, this will disappoint.

Controls: Layout is obviously customizable, so no comments needed on botton placement really. Default is perfectly fine. The system used is rather good. Not much change from the previous editions. Perfectly compliments the game setting.

EA: Deserving of its own section. I don't take part in EA bashing for fun. But it's usually necessary anyway. EA have grabbed this series and turned it into an action-fest full of scripted events, boring hollywood story elements, and microtransactions. The implementation of weapon customization is interesting, but turns away from the previous industrial-tool-turned-weapon-in-desparation style which suited the games concept so perfectly. Furthermore, it seems to have been created and implemented purely to give EA something to sell in game. EA have almost ruined this game and its series when you compare it to the first Dead Space.

To be frank, this game is not worthy of the Series. It is a very good game in its own right, but when compared to the rest of the series, particularly the first installment, its just desperately sub-standard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strayed from its roots and turned into yet another shootfest, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Right off the bat I will say this - DS3 is nowhere as good as the 1st (the best IMO) or the 2nd. Those games were survival-horror (SH). This ones not. They have also run out of ways to scare. Someone new to DS playing DS3 for the first time will get scared no doubt, or at least be made to jump. But once you see the chest-level walls & *human opponents* appear....uh oh CHEESY SHOOTER ALERT!! Also ridiculous that you can only carry 2 weapons. Im finding the game a slog and we all know its so linear but sometimes is SO linear you feel like you are playing an interactive animated movie. And the BORING fetch quests. Get this. Do that. Go there. Solve this. Pull train cars together. Yawn. Where is the Alien-style SH game DS1 was so brilliant at?

And the pick-up annoyances with their annoying noises. Holo-alerts in your face all the time. Ammo pack. Med pack with that electronic squawk noise!

Positives...it looks great even though theres nothing ground breaking here. I found disabling VSYNC on Eyefinity improved performance but thats on my rig and there are so many different configs out there. Also looks great sent to a big TV. Some nice weapon animations when you bring them up to aim. If you look at it from the POV of a mindless shooter then yes...you can have fun with this game. In the meantime the wait for a truly great SH goes on.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 29 Jun 2014
WohExile "WE" (United Kingdom - Carlisle - Cumbria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Dead space 3 is a great game but not as creepy as the first , i wish EA did not drop this IP as the franchises is worth keeping , unlike many other games that come out every year.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 25 April 2014
Jetstar "B707" (Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
First 2 were good games,this is one is pretty good as well not as good as the first one but a fun play.

3.0 out of 5 stars My take on this game, 7 April 2014
FB (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
While this tittle is still very enjoyable the previous games were a little scarier aswell as harder. I usually play casual games such as this one on normal or hard difficulty but something is lacking in this specific tittle that makes me a little disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars good detailed game, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
much much better than deadspace 2....!!!
deadspace 1 and 3 are well made. The detail in graphics is brilliant. runs very very smooth. like the ability to construct own gun types!!!
overall very enjoyable game. could have had more big BOSS FIGHTS....

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fun being scared!, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
All in all this game is fantastic. The graphics are superb, the music is very atmospheric and the story line is excellent. My only complaint is that the upgrading of weapons has become very complicated,(or perhaps I'm getting older and slower), but this is a very small problem when compaired with the total enjoyment of playing this game. Electronic Arts can usually be relied on for excellence, and this game is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I love this game. I have spent about 8 hours playing and have still only completed 23%!

Excellent gameplay and a believable story. Graphics are superb.

Dead Space 3 (PC DVD)
Dead Space 3 (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
18.49