4.0 out of 5 stars More action than before
Published 17 months ago by A. Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough with the DLC packs already
Ok, first off, this game is brilliant, it's everything you could expect from a Dead Space game, maybe not as atmospheric and scary as the previous 2 instalments and a lot more action based but still a really good game.

Published 8 months ago by D. Krol

4.0 out of 5 stars More action than before, 11 Mar 2013
A. Griffiths "Adrian" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Dead Space 3 does move in a different direction to the first few games. It is more open, including space walks and short planet hops, lots of outside exploration and lots of shooting. At first I thought this was diluting the experience, and in terms of being atmospheric and frightening, Dead Space 3 does NOT compare to the first two. However it does have it's own features that make up for this...more on that later.

So basically, things go like this: Isaac is still the protagonist, and in this installment he is helping another team of survivors to track down a key object that will help with a 3rd attempt to save the human race. So not much different there. What is different is the locations, as mentioned before, there is a big element of outdoor exploration of the frozen planet that makes up much of the game. So the action is not limited to one claustrophobic interior of an infected spaceship any more, so the "haunted house" analogy of DS1 has all but disappeared. The outdoor elements are fun, and well implemented (the snow looks great), but the sense of dread caused by creeping along corridors is pretty much missing.

There are other differences which I want to list here. Firstly, all ammo is now the same for every gun. This is great, it means you never have to hoard supplies for your favourite weapon. Next, the weapon upgrade system has been changed. It's no longer a path of adding "nodes", instead you now build your own weapons from parts. This is a total overhaul and takes some getting used to. I found it off putting at first, but had to learn it out of necessity to make my weapons grow in strength as the enemies got tougher. And of course after I had learned it I found it fun after all. The ways to change your weapon features are very varied and dozens of combinations can be tried out. But here's the drawback to this exciting mini-game: you can now only carry TWO weapons around with you! I found this very disappointing, as nearly all my bizarre inventions had to be left in the safe, as only two could be carried to play with, and those workbenches/safes are often very far apart. A bit mean, that aspect, especially as you used to be able to carry four weapons! However another good aspect is that you can create some really boffo weapons even on your first playthrough, so if you want a shotgun that shoots nails coated in acid, or an exploding javelin rifle, there is a a way to do it.
Now here's a really big change - ammo and healing supplies are now almost embarrassingly abundant. I've played all the games on the normal setting and I was never this swamped with ammo and medkits before. Even if you run out, you can make more of them yourself out of "spare parts" that enemies drop when you kill them. Interestingly, there is no money in this game, so no "shops" to buy things in. But I think the glut of free stuff has overcompensated for this. It makes the game too easy, and for several hours of playing, that was my main concern, as it was very difficult to be in too much danger of dying.

So my thoughts on Dead Space 3 were that the gameplay is rather one dimensional, as you just blast everything indiscriminately and move from one simple task to another. A lot of the tasks just seem to be invented as obstacles to impede your progress. A disabled launch needs mending, so you have to search for three components. An important alien specimen is found, but three parts of the body have been hidden so they need to be found. Some floating debris in space has to be collected to fix something else. It's all very contrived, and very convenient that it's Isaac who does all the donkey work in this story and it's Isaac who ALWAYS gets separated from the team by a collapsing rope bridge or lift and has to "find another way around". Doesn't really give the player a lot of motivation.
All right, I've said enough about the story, because now I want to point out what I have decided is the best part of the game. Much to my surprise, this is...Co-Op mode. I hardly ever play online, but this time I wanted to try it because there are story-related co-op missions in the game that can only be unlocked when you play with another person. There are only three, but the main reason why they are so good is that the game creators play a trick on you, which at first had me and my partner player totally confused (we were talking on the phone as we played), but then as we got deeper into the co-op game, we realised that it was all part of the plan and once we were on the third and final co-op chapter, I thought the whole concept was a masterstroke and my overall impression of the game almost doubled as a result of this. Therefore I urge all prospective buyers to get a friends to buy Dead Space 3 at the same time and join each other in the co-op missions and just see how clever they are. Oh and make sure you play them in order! Amazing fun, and great pure gaming at it's best.

Eventually though I did complete the whole game, and it does feel very satisfying to reach the conclusion. For the very addicted, there are percentage completion scores for each chapter, and you can replay these at anytime to try and obtain the full 100% - there are rewards for doing this that make it worthwhile, but brace yourself for some of the items that require you to explore OPEN SPACE and look for tiny collectibles among miles of floating debris. That part was nearly not fun. But to finish off, I decided in the end that Dead Space 3 is a success and great fun to play. It is definitely more action oriented than the previous games in the series, but how can making a rocket launcher with a stasis coated, rivet firing chaingun, and just being badass, not be fun?

4.0 out of 5 stars A good game overshadowed by a handful of flaws, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
I really enjoyed this game and would recommend it. I played it 4 times on different difficulties for over a month. If you are a Dead Space fan, nothing below should put you off playing it as the pros far outweigh the cons.

The Good
* Excellent story--especially if you're a fan of The Thing (1982) or have read The Terror by Dan Simmons. The atmosphere and backstory of Tau Volantis fits in very well with the bleak dystopian future of Dead Space and the contemporary story is very enjoyable.
* Replay value--after completing the game it unlocks unique modes of difficulty which make subsequent replays fresh and interesting.
* Resources and crafting--Isaac now feels like a proper engineer rather than a guy who spends money at a kiosk.
* Improved enemies--enemies are now much tougher than they were in previous games and require slightly different tactics than before.
* Optional side missions--a good idea and well implemented. These missions are no push-over either, a couple are harder than most of the main campaign. They also reward the player with a lot of loot and unique components used for crafting.

The Bad
* Too much action, not enough horror--Dead Space is a horror series, not an action series. This is the least scary Dead Space in the series (especially when compared to the first game), and is much more action-orientated. The horror element is predominantly supplied by the backstory, rather than what is actually happening.

The Ugly
* Co-operative play--this is probably the game's biggest failing. Not because coop is bad, but because in this instance it feels like it was shoe-horned in at the last moment at the behest of EA. It is poorly implemented, badly designed, and adds nothing to the experience, only succeeding in detracting from what little horror there is in the game. It is also advertised as "easy drop-in, drop-out play"--nothing about it is remotely "easy".
* Money-grabbing EA--aside from the over-priced DLC, even the resources in this game are purchasable with real-world money. Fortunately, this is not a requirement to finish the game, but it illustrates a mercenary attitude EA are pioneering to squeeze as much cash out of gamers as possible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough with the DLC packs already, 5 Dec 2013
D. Krol "deano76" (bradford) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)

The improved graphics, sound and a whole new weapon upgrades system, only add to the games charm but once again, a really cool game has been completely let down by the game designers desire, to fleece every last penny they can out of their customers. It's insulting.

By all means, make some additional levels or areas which you can purchase to add to the games experience, AFTER you have completed it but when are they going to stop being allowed to release games where half of the content in the game you've just paid 30-40 for, is useless without the addition of DLC packs, which cost extra money and need an internet connection to buy them?

Here we have a set of weapons that for the most part, are as much use as a balloon bazooka or a beanbag gun when trying to kill hoards of space zombies. At times you are attacked by up to 10 big creatures, which you are advised to shoot at their limbs to disable them.

Fair enough, the big problem here, is that even though you blow off their legs, they still crawl after you as fast as if they were running at you. Each monster/alien takes around 5-8 shots to kill with the useless weapons you acquire, the weapons are slow firing, run out of ammo within seconds and take an age to reload. Bare this in mind when you have 5 big creature slashing at you at once, as if they are on fast forward and you get how mega frustrating this game is. You put 2 down and then have to wait 4 seconds to reload while you are being torn to shreds.
Also, lots of enemies attack you and render you useless while you have to bash the X button repeatedly for 4/5 seconds to break free, all the while, the rest of the nasties can still slash at you while you are trying to perform this procedure. Should you get backed into a corner, you may as well just let go of the joypad and re-start the level which costs you an hours gaming each time, as there are no save points in the game. It simply saves automatically when it feel like it.

You can, however, spend lots more of your money upgrading your weapons with downloadable content which you can't get in the main game to make it easier at a ridiculous cost. You can also pick up little robots that go around collecting loot for you but again, their upgrades have all to be purchased as DLC packs. It's scandalous.

Unlike Dead Space 1 and 2, where you could collect everything you need to fully upgrade your weapons and armour in the game you purchased. Dead Space 3 is littered with purposely placed obstacles that can only be resolved by buying online content to add to the game. It's almost like one long advert.

People don't want that! They want to buy a game that has everything there to be able to fully enjoy and complete the gaming experience. Extra levels and areas are fine but charging gamers for weapons/armour and other items you should get with the game to start with is unacceptable.

It's like buying a car at full price and then having to buy the seats and gearstick separately, that wouldn't be legal so why is this?

Overall, a very good game from a very poor company who's only goal seems to be to rob their customers blind. If the next Dead Space game is the same as this one, I for one will boycott it immediately.

If you're going to bring out a new game, then bring it out complete or not at all, enough already with this DLC madness. It's getting to the point where buying a game complete, is costing nearly 80 which is unacceptable.

9/10 for the game itself, which complete would be awesome - minus 4 for the insulting DLC caper. - 5/10

4.0 out of 5 stars You know your enemy, now kill!, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
For me personally, the Dead Space franchise has been one of the most unique, enthralling and indeed, outstanding series during this generation cycle. Dead Space one invoked the spirit of such classic movies as Alien and Event Horizon; an unholy match made in the depths of hell if I do say so myself, and bless it for being so. Dead Space two took this formula and whilst it did sacrifice some of its claustrophobia, did so in the noble venture of expanding the universe and giving us a bigger and bolder version of the first, complete with occasionally disturbing bouts of marker and PTSD induced dementia. But to the question, can the third live up to this legacy?

I must confess, having just complete the game not three hours ago, I'm somewhat still pondering this. From the very start it is made clear that this will be a more action-based game, ditching many of the suspense-filled moments of tense silence with the gun shots of fanatical unitologists hell bent on killing Isaac from scene one. Now while it has gone down the path of action, I think this was for the best, and even made cognitive sense when you factor in the world they have developed, previous events and the character of Isaac Clarke. I must confess even I was face palming when I saw early videos; however my great fears where not to be realized in full. Yes there is more action, however most of the action and shootouts are relatively minimal and don't detract from that classic Dead Space vibe we all know and love.
The game world is bigger than ever; ranging from the classic tight corridors of derelict spaceships, open space walks/flights and the ice planet far below. The environments are still amazing, and even I on more than one occasion found myself just staring at the backdrop scene beyond Isaac and marvelling at it size and beauty. Floating in open space with ship debris and parts floating around me whilst I stared down at the gigantic world below me sent shivers down my spine.
The game itself is still the same game we all know by now, however the option for co-op now exists, which dose occasionally reap its own rewards , however not at the expense of the single player experience. The ammo is now of one variety, which is both good and bad; good because it streamlines the whole process, but bad because it feels a bit forced due to the new weapon crafting mechanic . Speaking of which, I personally found no need to craft any weapons, as the Plasma Cutter itself was more than enough to kill everything.

Overall, Dead Space 3 was an enchanting game, with just enough of the hallmarks of the previous two to allow me to enjoy the experience and not feel I was just re-treading old ground with new grass. It's not a great game and certainly has its faults, however this is mainly because we are now all very familiar with the enemies present and this eliminates much of the previous fear. I would not call DS3 a survival horror game, nor a full blown action game, but rather a satisfactory compromise of the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good end to a series, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Dead space three sees us continue as our long suffering protagonist Isac Clarke but this time with Co-op support from an angsty soldier character. The game maintains most of the original features from the first two however the Necromorphs (enimies) are noticably weaker and more numerous giving a much more traditional third person shooter experience in places with much less of the edge of your seat terror than the first game.
The characters are already well devloped but a handy recap reminds us what happened in the two previous games. Our protaganist is much more verbose than before (Isac didn't speak at all in the first game) and elaborates on many of the plot points with colourful language.
The game will take most people less than a week of regular play and there is limited replay value. I didn't enjoy the multiplayer aspects enought to spend much time on them thoug i did purchase an additional few hours of gameplay DLC from Playstation Store and it wasn't really worth it.
An award winning game but best played as part of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to be afraid?, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
There are already some very well written and informative reviews for Dead Space 3 but I thought I'd my add my thoughts anyway. I think Dead Space 1 and 2 are probably my two favourite 1-player games on the PS3 and I've played them both over and over again. I'm not sure which of the two I prefer. DS1 is clearly more survival horror, but you do retrace your steps a lot in the claustrophobic setting. DS2 is bigger and I like the addition of Isaac's voice to the story. It's more action-orientated without losing the nature of Dead Space. DS3 extends this premise another stage.

I must admit that I was a bit worried about this game when I heard it was going to be a more action based offering than DS2 and would also come with full co-op. I like co-op games but I like to have games that are purely single player too. It was these changes that ruined the Resident Evil franchise for me. Once I could only play with an AI following me about I really started to enjoy them less.

So, let's do the co-op first. What's really important for me is that you can play DS3 as a 1-player without an AI. You do meet up with the other characters at regular times, and they do have to stretch the narrative a tad to make it work, but it does work. There are trophies and collectibles that you cannot get unless you play with a partner, and that is a bit irksome, but I can live with it.

Now, the action versus horror point. The demo made me think that the whole game would be on that ice planet, and much of it is, but not all. It starts out in space and on various ships and I enjoyed that. Yes, there's less skulking around and being frightened of every noise and every shadow, but they haven't lost that completely. The new ammo and weapon crafting changes the ethos of the game too, and it took me a while to get used to the latter, but it's actually quite fun once you do. There are more occasions when you are swarmed by baddies from all sides, especially in the optional missions, and it's a real struggle, but these happened in DS2 and even in DS1. Those damned annoying regenerative beasties do turn up quite early on but they are only in one chapter and one side mission, so it's bearable.

I should just point out at this point that I haven't played all the co-op missions yet, but I fully intend to. However, I have now played through the whole game several times, and even tried the Classic, Pure Survival and Hardcore modes, and I wouldn't put that much effort into a game that I'm not really enjoying, I assure you.

I've read some consternation around micro-transactions, and I understand that, but I've finished all modes without buying anything extra, although I do have the Limited Edition game and its extras, and I am no young gaming god.... far from it!

It does feel like a natural progression for the series, but I do hope that there are survival horror games still available for those of us who enjoy them, and that games such as DS never lose sight completely of what made them great in the first place.

Overall, I think you do need to tweak your expectations of Dead Space a bit, and the third installment might not be quite as easy to get fully into as the other two, but it's still a brilliant franchise and another excellent game that I will come back to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Evolution of the Series, but 'Dead Space' has changed..., 25 Mar 2013
Dan Morgan-kane (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
...and whether or not that is a bad thing is entirely up to the gamer. That will (largely) dictate whether you enjoy this game or not. If you are more into the frights, shooting and story 'Dead Space 3' has got your back. If you're chasing that pure horror experience (perhaps that the original managed to provide well), then I'm afraid you will largely be left out in the cold.

But I am the former and I defend this game. The truth is that 'Dead Space' has a pre-established back-story and experience. Largely because of this and the benefits of familiarity to gamers, it certainly appears as if 'Visceral' has gone with a theme of continuation placing the story completely (which was increasingly familiar with the Necromorphs and their tactics, if not all their guises) at the motivational centre of the experience. I for one, would have preferred a fresh, completely haunting experience and I do believe now that this story (even if not this universe) has reached its natural conclusion. Indeed, towards the end of the game, I could feel the familiarity of the game-play and the experience beginning to work against it. It's been powered along by evolutionary steps in narrative, and game-play and environmental variety up to now. But, the system is five years old now and it's starting to show a bit in places.

But I do not for one second, criticise the team for taking this direction. The characters, the back-story and the experience all mean that, without completely shifting the focus of the game (probably away from Issac Clarke, from being primarily a horror-shooter, and the whole "Marker-Plot"), it wouldn't really have fitted all together. Neither choice was perfect.

There are some criticisms to be had though. For example, I'm still not on-board with the whole micro-transaction thing, and I would encourage almost all not to invest purely for the sake of the experience. There are also one or two minor technical choices, such as the unified ammo system, which seem to upset the balance between shooting and survival. But with fantastic production values (if perhaps a somewhat over-intrusive musical score), familiar game-play with a great weapon customisation system, an incredibly well-balanced co-op mode and a pure, natural narrative driving the whole thing coherently, there's a lot to love about 'Dead Space 3'. In short, it's certainly worth smashing through the story and trying the co-op, and definitely deserves your cash more than any other horror-based game out there at the moment.

3.0 out of 5 stars No mo horror, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Entertaining but has lost its meaning of being the best horror game it used to be. But i had a great time playing it so it was ok, not as spectacular as the first one though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Action shooter not survival horror, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Continues the story of the first 2 games even with a few plot holes/changes. The horror is gone just a few jumps at most. Still a good game even though it has been simplified. Good weapons system, one for all ammo dumbs it down a bit. Plenty of replayability with different difficulties. Get it if you are a fan of the previous games/series or even just looking for a good 3rd person action/shooter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Looking & Intelligent Horror/Survival, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Dead Space 3..Hmm after reading some of the 1 Star reviews i thought that i would give the Game a go for myself,and i was very pleasantly surprised.The Graphics are superb and the Colours and Textures are amazing as are the Enviroments.I particularly like the way that the Game has evolved into not simply being another Slash and Hack Type Zombie killer Game.The Controls are very simple and easy to use,and i can honestly say that i have not encountered ANY Glitches of any kind.The content of the Game has certainly expanded as well.No longer are you stuck on a Space Craft,you also now get Planet side as well.The Weapons Crafting Side of things takes some getting used to,but if you make a Mistake simply dismantle the Weapon and start over again.Some Reviewers mention that they have had to spend Real Money at the Sony Store to purchase Upgrades for their Weapons..This is a Mistake on their part,yes you can purchase Weapon and Suit Packs,but when you want to Modify and Upgrade your Weapons simply deploy your Scavenger Bots in the correct Locations and you will soon be raking in a lot of Materiel to craft and upgrade youe Weapons with,also sell your Ration Cans to purchase Materiel.If however you cannot be bothered with experimenting with making your own weapons,simply purchase them from the Pre Built weapons available at the Bench.Reading some of the Low Scoring Reviews for DS3 it seems to me that some of the Reviewers have simply not given the Game a chance to unfold and immerse themselves in the Dead Space 3 experience.If they dont like Dead Space 3 or find it far too challenging for them,i suggest that they may well fare far better with the Dire Aliens/Colonial Marines Offering as this may well be more suited to their expectations and abilities.

Dead Space 3 (PS3)
Dead Space 3 (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
11.25