5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed the witty repartee
Published 22 months ago by Sadie Forsythe

3.0 out of 5 stars A few good moments
This book has some nice ideas, but not enough to keep my attention in light of the somewhat clunky characters and plotting. Lots of action/adventure keeps the story bombing along, but it can also feel a bit rushed, and the story relies on the heroine vacillating wildly between sheer stupidity ("yes, I will go into that deserted and dark place with a strange man")...
Published 3 months ago by A-Canadian-in-London

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed the witty repartee, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
What Kills Me was a pleasure to read. The very beginning left me wondering if 'Zee' was going to be one of those ultra goody-two shoes that are simply too pure to stomach, but she wasn't. I liked her immensely. She was strong, without being cold; sarcastic, without being irreverent; and vulnerable without being a snivelling weakling in constant need of protection. Don't get me wrong, she needed protecting, but she wasn't one of those useless female leads who just flails about waiting for the hero to do all of the work. The hero, by the way, is also fabulous. Lucas is just as strong as you would expect him to be, but shows a surprising depth of emotion, despite his gruff exterior. Yummy!

What I loved most, however, was the witty repartee between the two of them. It was done very well and I think warranted five stars all by itself. It was often used to lighten a tense moment, without making either character appear oblivious to danger or overly flippant. I did think Uther's timely arrival there at the end was a little too convenient, but by that point I was so afraid the whole thing wasn't going to wrap up and be a cliff-hanger that I has too happy to care.

After reading the book and Channing's bio I have to admit to feeling a little inadequate. Apparently she is an awesome writer with an awesome job. I would ask how any one person could be so lucky, but it would be naive to think that there is no connection. I am definitely up for reading another of her novels in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic YA Read, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
Okay, you caught me.....I'm not necessarily the target audience for this book. It's aimed squarely at the YA market and even with the best soft focus camera shot I could not be described as anywhere near YA - but bloody hell, I loved it!!

From the first page the story dragged me in and I just could NOT put it down!! I fell head over heels with Lucas, but I also have to pay my respects to Zee - one of the most likeable, least whiny young female leads I have come across in a long while. The story is well written and fast paced - with enough twists and turns to keep this old codger happy :)

I hope to all that anyone holds holy that this turns into a series - and if so I will be first in the queue to get the next one! 3 Cheers for Wynne!!

5.0 out of 5 stars To Die For, 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
Wynne Channing's debut novel, "What Kills Me," is to die for. I'm not being cute here; this vampire novel kicks the you-know-what out of most other vampire novels out there.

The premise is original. The characters are well developed. The settings are beautifully described. The story is fluid and fast-paced. The action is almost non-stop, but never over the top. Most importantly, the series' potential is unlimited.

The main characters, Zee and Lucas, make you want to cheer. They're damaged, yet determined. They're also a great team, whether working in tandem to remove heads and limbs from enemies or supporting each other through a never-ending series of betrayals and heartbreak. Thankfully, Channing depicts how they deal with their burgeoning feelings for each other with style and finesse, instead of overwhelming the reader with endless prose about physical attraction and pseudo-narcissism.

The ending was one of the best I can recall. While bringing the story to a satisfying, albeit surprise, conclusion, the information revealed has the potential to turn the entire series on its ear.

I eagerly--but not very patiently--await the next installment.

I highly recommend "What Kills Me" for fans of YA, paranormal romance, and urban fantasy ... although I firmly believe it should be on the must-read list for anyone who loves great fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Review, 9 Jun 2012
By Bwgan on behalf of Zasah 04

I have never written a review before even though I have read and enjoyed loads of books. I liked this one so much I felt I had to tell people about it.

I downloaded What Kills Me yesterday and I could not put it down. It was so easy to read and a definite page turner.
The way in which Wynne Channing wrote it made it very atmospheric resulting in the story being easy to visualize in my head. Even though it would be good to see the relationship between the two main characters develop Ms Channing thankfully hasn't ruined the story by adding a complicated relationship or love triangle like so many authors have.
The characters are believable and well rounded and the motivation and behaviour makes sense unlike a lot of authors. The plot unfolded at a smooth and good pace.
To sum up, the story was interesting, the characters believable and I really cared about what would happen to them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 14 July 2014
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
A different take on the vampire stories, understated, slow to take off but persevere because it is worth the trouble. I liked this story and axelia and Lucas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowwww, 5 May 2014
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this down omg! Downloaded as it was free and being a teen wanted something vampiry to read, well Impressed :)

5.0 out of 5 stars not usually a YA reader, 2 May 2014
loumar (Perth scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
This is not my usual read in that its a YA book but god I loved it the main characters are fab and the story is different I will defo be getting the next one x

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 29 April 2014
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
This story follows See who is studying in another country when she meets a boy. He's not all that he seems and when he takes her into a church for seclusion her life changes forever.

She soon meets Lucas and their relationship begins as un trusting and bitter but they soon learn to rely on each other as the stakes rise and her life is on the line.

This is a well written young adult novel and the relationship between the two main characters leaves you wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 15 April 2014
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
This was definitely easy reading. A fast moving well written vampire adventure. It was very difficult to put down once I started reading and I admit to enjoying every page. Great well written with a very punchy style. Definitely recommend this as a perfect holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 14 April 2014
This review is from: What Kills Me (Kindle Edition)
Read this book within the week, was very intriguing and I enjoyed the characters, looking forward to seeing how her abilities will develop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›