5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
I picked this up for 104 and it is fantastic.

Published 12 months ago by Fraggle

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...
Ordered this as just before Christmas and was pleased to have received it within a week so well done for the 5 star delivery service.
However, after less than one month of using the motherboard it started to go wrong.
Firstly it would throw up BSOD messages, sometimes it would refuse to boot up at all....

The Motherboard 'ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 has...
Published 18 months ago by Caroline

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 990FX, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, 1 x eS-ATA, 2 x USB 3.0, Socket AM3+) (Accessory)
I picked this up for 104 and it is fantastic.

Firstly, the Asus AI Suite that comes on the installation CD is excellent and words from your desktop like any other application, and automatically overclocked my new AMD FX8350 processor safely to 4.5ghz. No fiddling about in the bios (which you can still do), which is quite daunting for most people. It also allows you to control the speed of the fans from the desktop. When you first install the motherboard, the fans are going like the clappers so they are quite load. Click it onto silent mode and the noise level drops to a much more acceptable level, and you can set the speed of the fans lower if you want to. The built in temperature monitor which you can again access via AI Suite tells me that the temperature of my CPR and case are still in the mid-thirties.

The manual is also really helpful and guides you through installation well.

The only issue I had which left me stratching my head is that my PCI-E cards, such as my graphics card and sound card, were not automatically detected. They were in, and with other systems Windows would detect them and try to install drivers. They also did not show up on Device Manager.

More oddly, my PCI wireless network card was detected and the drivers installed by Windows automatically when I did my clean install of Windows. I didn't need to do anything, it was just there, working from the off.

Anyway, I took a punt and installed the AMD Catalyst drivers anyway from the AMD website, knowing that they would refused to install if there was no AMD card. The drivers installed and the graphics card was there and works brilliantly. I did the same with my sound card and ditto. Very strange. Perhaps there is a plug and play option in the bios which I do not know about.

My only other tip for people buying this motherboard - and probably any other motherboard - is that a clean install of windows is a really good idea (make sure you do a full back-up of your files first, as you will lose them otherwise). Also install all of the Asus software straight away, as this includes drivers for USB3 and so on. I gave it a try with just plugging in my disk drives and running windows from that and it did not like it.

Once you clean install Windows and install all of the Asus software/drivers on the disk they give you, it really works brilliantly (I'll ignore the above anomoly because the rest of the features make up for it), and is really user-friendly. 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Motherboard around!!!!!, 29 April 2013
Offers fantastic performance, future proof with the next set of AMD CPU's! I think it is better than my Sabertooth 990fx as it costs less and performs the same. My sabertooth has been sent back multiple times where this is just solid and is now used in my high performance pc instead of the over priced sabertooths which are the exact same board but in brown and with a fancy name! get this board asus are the best and this board offer value and the best performance on the affordable market!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST board i have ever had., 20 Jun 2014
I'm getting outstanding performance from this motherboard, with one click it took my FX 8320 from 3.5 to 4.25Ghz. (stock volts)

Even though the cpu is overclocked the onboard EPU processors are keeping everything cool and quiet, basically it only runs at 4.25 when it needs to. This is a winner for me can have the best of both worlds.

It boots mega fast too, the graphical BIOS is the best ive seen, it's set out excellent, however this is not a board for a beginner.

You can take the cpu to very extreme levels 5 ghz + but you will need a water setup to do this.

I have my Crucial Ballistix Tracer LED 1866MHz ram running at 2400Mhz with no problems whatsoever.

This board performs exactly the same as the sabretooth but without any of its problems so I highly recommend you buy it.

Wouldn't be surprised if this motherboard is asus's best seller, it really is that good, I can re-encode a 2 hour 1080p mp4 movie in 9 minutes using BADABOOM software and that's without any graphics cuda acceleration either.

I highly recommend an ASUS EAH series graphics card for this board wether it be AMD or NVIDIA as then you will complete the UEFI chain and be able to boot instantly bypassing all the routines in the bios.

here is a list of cards that support epu [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome MOBO for overclocking, 24 April 2014
- Great quality
- Great features

Very happy with this buy.

Overclocking my RAM was so easy, just change the speed settiings in the BIOS by selecting DOCP and the MOBO does everything itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Mar 2014
When you consider the price of this motherboard, not all that much more than the old budget one I had, this is amazing. Everything about it is quality, solid build quality, more PCI slots than you'll probably ever need, and a whole load of USB slots, which works well for me since I need a load of them for all my peripherals.

The bios on this board are easy to use, even in advanced mode. I don't tend to overclock much but just turning the board into Asus recommended settings put my FX8350 up to 4.4Ghz.

Make sure you take all plastic covers off when installing. It may sound stupid, but if someone is in a rush they may not notice them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid motherboard, 21 Feb 2014
Christopher Allen (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Good board, quality build, my fx 8350 has a nice 4.5ghz overclock on it 24/7.
Love the colour scheme too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing build quality very advanced, 18 Feb 2014
Awesome board in every way. Extremely advanced settings especially for overclocking and top build quality. Highly recommend for advanced serious users

5.0 out of 5 stars solid performer, 31 Jan 2014
excellent board, easy to install & setup. Performs well and should last a good while. Plenty of options for those who like to tinker!

5.0 out of 5 stars it's beautiful !!! :D, 24 Jan 2014
i honestly can not say that i have ever made a purchase better than this one ever online. for the price of it, this thing blows everything right out of the water. i can't express in words, how amazed i am with this motherboard. I'm a programmer, gamer and a computer enthusiast but for the price i never expected so much quality and features all in one board. thank you ASUS.
can not allow myself to recommend something else. u have the money for this ?! don't hesitate !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Motherboard, 29 Dec 2013
Has so many features and the BIOS is so easy to use. It works really well with my AMD FX-8320 and Asus GTX 760.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›