5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read
To say I liked this book would be an understatement, I absolutely loved it!
Published on 26 Nov 2012 by C. Plunkett

3.0 out of 5 stars An insight into the world of a croupier...
I obtained this book for free many months ago and finally got round to reading it... it was not what I expected at all!

It read like a diary entry, and immersed me into the world of a university student in the early 80's taking a job in playboy. I expected to read shocking tales and to visualise the glamour and excitement, but (and this is why it is rated a 3)...
Published 16 months ago by Vanessa Wester

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read, 26 Nov 2012
C. Plunkett (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bunny on a Bike: Playboy croupiers in 80s London (a Bev and Carol adventure Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
To say I liked this book would be an understatement, I absolutely loved it!
From the very first page I was totally engaged in the memoir of Bev Spicer as she recounted the escapades she got up to with her best friend and partner in crime Carol. From the hilarious interview rounds they had to get through in order to become Playboy Bunnies, who would have thought that maths would be so important?! Through to the disastrous digs they found themselves staying in, it is a laugh a minute. I found myself totally transported back to the 80's and was nodding my head up and down in agreement with so many of the funny sayings and nutritionally devoid food stuffs we used to live off back then, anyone for a Pop tart?
I really enjoy reading memoirs and prior to reading this my favourites have been by Emma Kennedy. Shh! Don't tell her but Bev Spicer has only gone and taken the top spot now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, and very funny!, 13 Nov 2012
I loved this book and found it very funny, especially the creative use of swearwords which made me burst out laughing more than once. I should mention that I knew Bev already although I didn't know anything about this chapter of her life. The stories all rang true and her sharp eye and ready wit shone through the page. Carol sounds like a great mate to have alongside you on an adventure and the bit about the two of them sharing the grisly flat was brilliant.

The only thing that would have improved the book for me is a few photos of the 80s outfits Bev mentions - I'm not sure my imagination did them justice!

If you are wavering about this book, just buy it, read it, enjoy it. It will put a smile on your face!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Basement Bunnies - brilliant! (by Peter Davey), 27 Sep 2012
Growing up in the sixties and seventies, the Playboy Empire, imported to London but with its unmistakable whiff of The New World, seemed the embodiment of glamour and sexiness, the ultimate in fast-lane living. Seldom did one stop to wonder about the lives of those gorgeous blondes and brunettes who, though dressed as bunnies, seemed more like languorous, exotic birds; one simply assumed that they were as wonderful as those of the stars and millionaires to whom they dealt cards or served drinks.

Bev Spicer's hilarious recollection of her time as a Playboy bunny in eighties London blows that notion clean out of the water. She and her friend Carol, footloose, fancy free, fresh out of Uni and - like most young people in Thatcher's Britain - unemployed, respond to an ad for croupiers in a Playboy casino "just for a laugh". The world they end up in is one of chilly lodgings, malfunctioning loos, comfort-eating on Pop Tarts and bacon butties (when not forbidden by one of their employer's enforced diets) and going to work, not in a Ferrari, but on a bike.

Bev Spicer writes in a dry, funny, ingenuous and chatty style which is highly individual and very readable. She describes in merciless detail the back-biting, bitchiness, brushes with celebrities (by which she and Carol seem singularly unimpressed) and the way in which their own lives and loves are woven around their bizarre career. Yet she never for a moment lapses into salaciousness or moralising and the characters she encounters (such as the ubiquitous, bum-fondling Keith) are wonderfully three-dimensional, described with a razor-sharp yet always kindly eye. Though this reads like a novel, it is, of course, all true and its authenticity shines through every page. A rare treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughs aplenty!, 7 Sep 2012
I loved this light-hearted tale which made me reminisce about London in the 80s. I thought the dialogue between Bev and Carol was very natural and laughed like a drain on the train! (What I mean is I was on the train while reading, don't know if trains have drains.) Some excellent character portrayal and a glimpse behind the doors of the Playboy club. Looking forward to Bev's next offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Laughed out loud, 19 Jun 2012
I really did laugh out loud reading this amusing account of two young womens' ambition to join the glamorous world of Playboy. Their immersion in the reality of a new lifestyle is hilarious. It dragged me into the life and times of "swinging" London. I am waiting for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful and engrossing distraction, 12 July 2013
It's the 80s and Carol & Bev have finished their degrees and are aimlessly looking for their next adventure. They stumble across an advert offering jobs as Bunny Girls in a London casino.

With a simple and fresh humour Bev Spicer brings us this light-hearted tale of youth and frivolity that brings those wonderful years of freedom flooding back! In addition it gives an interesting insight into the behind the scenes of the famous Playboy organisation.

Spicer's writing is confident and fluent. Rather excitingly, this is the first of a number of works by her already on the market, including 'One Summer in France', the prequel to 'Bunny on a Bike' only recently published and I, for one, can't wait to read it.

If you're looking for some cheerful and engrossing distraction this is the book for you!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to read this immediately after finished prequel, 25 May 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed One Summer in France and had to download this book immediately to see what happened to Bev and Carol. Loved their experience of becoming croupiers at Playboy and descriptions of their life in London and training at Stocks in Tring. Def my era and loved reading every word. Would love to know what happened next - any chance of a sequel Bev?

5.0 out of 5 stars Leg crossing suspense, 27 April 2013
A very entertaining account of two young women having adventures in 1970s London. Well written, well plotted, and full of horrifying period detail and useless boyfriends. The relationship between the two women was so close that I wasn't sure whether they were going to get together or not, and I was kept guessing right to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of Bunny, 26 April 2013
Bunny on a Bike is simply hilarious!

It is also a warm hearted, easy going and chatty memoir.

What's not to like about the real life story of two young girls with little responsibility applying for jobs in the (not so) glamorous Playboy Empire of the early 1980's....and surprisingly get taken on!

Not yet in the serious stage of their lives they just want to have fun....and they do that in spades. The bed-sits are dingy, their landlords stingy, their diets unhealthy. Then there's the catty colleagues, the wannabe's, the celebrities (when they recognise them) and of course the punters. We also meet their long suffering and extremely patient boyfriends.

Reading this is a bit like sitting in a pub with a pint in your hand and eavesdropping on the table behind. Lots of things are going on, but try as you might you just can't drag your attention away, not even to go up to the bar to get another drink; you're stuck there, glued to the seat, listening and laughing along as the girl behind tells her story....you just can't leave, because you know you'll miss something interesting!

A bunny girl...on a bike; do I really need to say anything else?

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Bunny!, 25 Feb 2013
Fantastic! Loved it! I have always liked reading the memoirs of ordinary people since reading James Herriot's books in the 1970s. Bunny on a Bike is a joy. I loved Bev's narrative voice, so natural and witty and some of her descriptions had me in stitches. The rapport between her and Carol came through so well I felt I was a fly on the wall of their friendship.

On a serious side it was interesting to learn about the world of a bunny girl croupier, something I know nothing about.

This book is warm, amusing and entertaining. It was so funny and I laughed so much I was still laughing when I got in bed! I'd love her to write a sequel about her life after Bunny but in the meantime I'm off to download the prequel!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›