5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent - read it already!
Wonderfully entertaining stuff - this is essentially a pre-television soap opera, much like the novels of Dickens or George Eliot.
The essentials of the story are as follows: our hero is a young painter hired as tutor to a young heiress. The lady in question is remarkably pretty, innocent, sweet-tempered (etc etc) and inevitably our hero falls for her hook, line...
Published on 14 Mar 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read
I found the language hard going and therefore gave up which was a shame because the plot seemed good .
Published 11 months ago by Angela Chambers

2.0 out of 5 stars The woman in white, 23 Feb 2014
I found this difficult to read due to the antiquated language. Did not enjoy it, did not finish it and have deleted it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for me!, 6 May 2013
I am finding it very difficult to get to grips with this novel. it is too slow/boring! Not my type of book I'm afraid!

1.0 out of 5 stars So tedious, 2 Feb 2014
I'm 24% into this book on my kindle but I'm afraid that I'm just going to have to give it up. The author's long winded descriptions of everything and everyone are so very tedious. I don't care that Laura is "moving her fingers along the paper" or "is wearing a blue dress." I want to know what she is saying and what she is thinking. I want the author to say something witty, thought provoking, clever or amusing and if he can't manage that, I just want him to get on with the story. But he bores us with endless, unnecessary descriptions and gives us a thousand words, where ten would do. DONT READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars The woman in white, 25 Feb 2011
This is my favourite story of all time and I've just had the pleasure of reading it again on my Kindle. I love my Kindle - best present ever!

4.0 out of 5 stars longwinded dickens clone, 25 April 2013
An essential classic to fall asleep with zzzz zz z zz z z z z z zzzz zz zz zz

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 1 Jan 2014
My 14 year old daughter is reading this book as part of her school work and is finding it boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars too long and consise, 17 Nov 1999
By A Customer
what is good about this book is that you get all the different viewpoints and the plot of course is very fascinating as well. but there is no excitement at times beacuse you feel that Collins has planned every word out from the first page to the last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another lose baggy monster, 21 Jan 2003
Markus Isch "mege1" (Schweiz) - See all my reviews
The bad news first: did Wilkie Collins have to tell his story in so many words? I would have thought that his editor suggested some severe cuttings for serial publication. But no; it seems as if neither author nor editor cut out anything. Serves me right for reading the unabridged text, no?
The good news is that Count Fosco is a masterpiece of a villain. For so long, I suspected that he kept sneaking around, always at the edge of the episode he was not mentioned in. Eventually, I grew schizophrenic, and either he or his wife always seemed to be one step in front of Walter and Marian. This alone made me finish the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars narrator, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Woman in White (Audio CD)
Who narrates i? - I cannot see who it is anywhere - could not be looking in the right place of course, but it should be - yes SHOULD BE - OBVIOUS. The book could be brilliant (and is) but even more important on an audio book is WHO reads it: it can then become a totally naff book if the reader is not right.

I know the book and the DVD very well, so I did not buy the CD because I could not see who was reading it. And, being a listener of audio books, find it vitally important who reads the book: without knowing that or being able to hear a sample, I will not buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yaaaaawwwwnnn, 27 Mar 2008
E. W. Thomas "cyanide breathmint" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is the most rambling, tiresome thing i have ever had the displeasure of reading. I finished it only because it was on my A level syllabus. Avoid like the plague