4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Knight of Sound & Vision in York
I have seen the band on numerous past UK and German tours and for this specific tour we chose the following night's Buxton concert rather than the York show at which they filmed this DVD. It has been an eagerly awaited DVD as a record of another wonderful UK tour.

Published on 10 July 2012 by P. Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Why tamper with perfection
Published on 7 July 2012 by Steve

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Knight of Sound & Vision in York, 10 July 2012
P. Kelly (UK) - See all my reviews

Other reviewers have mentioned the extreme editing of the show, which I can understand their frustration particularly if they were present at the show. There was a significant amount of jokes and crowd banter from Candice and particularly Richie (who was very much in fine form) during the song intervals. I assume the reason for the editing is that they have chosen to focus on the more recent songs from the last two albums on the set (with the exception of Fires at Midnight which they slightly reworked) and hence the reduced running time.

So what do we get: an absolutely crystal clear blue-ray picture of the concert with so much detail and wonderful deep rich colours. The DTS 5:1 sound is mind blowing. First job is to adjust the sub-woofer volume down, even if like me, you like excess bass in the mix. It is very easy to damage the ears and any free moving object in the room. The 5:1 mix is not too elaborate and all the instruments are clear within the surround-soundstage without any sonic gimmicks. OK it is not on par with being present live at one of their shows but it is still extremely impressive to the ears.

Very predictable as I am an veteran Purple/Rainbow fan the stand-out favourite parts of the concert are when the Stat comes out in The Circle and Journeyman. It appears from what I can remember from the Buxton show the electric guitar solos in these two song were extended for the York video. However, the whole concert is very good and I do not think there is a bad song on the release. I still love watching Richie Blackmore playing any type of guitar/renaissance instrument. He appears so happy in this band and his enthusiasm for playing is still very much in evidence.

The band seem to improve every time I see them. However, I do miss Sisters of the Moon, I felt they laid down an extreme melodic sound-stage and complemented the wonderful lead vocals of Candice so well. However, the band have adapted well and continue to mature playing as a solid unit. Every new member coming into the band continues to be a very high calibre musician. The violin on this DVD sounds brilliant and has become more pronounced in the songs over the last two albums with the arrival of 'Gypsy Rose' .

To conclude, I gave it four stars for what's present rather than what's not and I recommend this blue-ray version particularly for established fans. However, if you are new to the music of Blackmore's Night and what to see what all the fuss is about, I recommend you purchase the Castle of Dreams DVD first. Although its older material it gives a much more in-depth overview of a brilliant band than does this release.

5.0 out of 5 stars black knight..., 18 July 2012
I could understand why people who were at the concert would prefer a complete live show. As I live in an isolated city in the far reaches of the world, to me this DVD is well represented with more new songs from their last two albums. It compliments the last two DVDs like "Castles and Dreams" and "Paris Moon" and made an extended updates on the live collections. I am happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why tamper with perfection, 7 July 2012
Despite the many CDs and DVDs that I have purchased from Amazon, this is the first time I have felt compelled to add a review. I too was at this concert and can confirm that it was a magical night with excellent music with a few laughs thrown in, Ritchie conversing with the audience no less. The DVD does not convey that warmth that the band have with their fans, particularly those who take the trouble to enter into the spirit by donning the garb. The running order has been severely edited with the old favourite Home Again being condemned to the rubbish bin and weaker tracks introduced. I still rate the effort as they are a very accomplished set of musicians and Candice's voice continues to amaze me but why, oh why did they not leave the concert as it was and treat everyone to a what was a very special Blackmore's Night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 11 July 2012
Its not the full concert, but who cares. Ritchie on top form , but sad that that Malcolm has now left as their long standing drummer, that being his last tour. The blu ray quality is very good and the sound far more superior to the bass heavy Paris Moon . For me it still captures the magic of the night and memories of that scorching weekend in york, also the stressed out look of some of the film crew in a nearby pub afterwards. Beer hard earned perhaps !

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, 20 Jun. 2014
A Knight in York by Blackmores night a brilliant concert great sound and what a singing voice by Candice a must for any blackmores fans. Good quality item and delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars We were there 30/09/2011, 17 July 2012
This review is from: A Knight In York (Live) (MP3 Download)
The best gig in 20 years !!!! and the album represents that. Sadly only a part of a much longer set, but if Ritchie wants to be Sir Galahad, on the evidence of his band and their brilliant musicianship, thats OK by me !!!! Candice is not bad either !!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars discs warped, 8 Mar. 2014
The four stars are for the music only. One star for the condition of the product. I decided to buy this on vinyl after buying a new turntable , on receiving the first album both discs were warped , I returned them for an exchange only to receive another pair of warped discs , I could not be bothered with the hassle of returning them again as they fortunately do play , but that's not the point . I have a feeling Amazon have no idea how to store vinyl albums , or they have a batch of warped discs , which I doubt

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT AS USUAL FROM THIS GREAT BAND, 26 May 2013
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS CONCERT FROM THE AMAZING BLACKMORE'S NIGHT. MADAM CANDISE SOUNDS LIKE AN ANGEL AND SIR RITCHIE'S GUITAR PLAYING IS UP TO HIS USUAL STANDARDS . IT PROVES WHERE THE TALENT WAS IN DEEP PURPLE. THE BAND
(THE MINERALS) ARE EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS & THEIR COVER OF THE BEE GEES FIRST OF MAY IS AMAZING. THIS IS A BELIGHT TO LISTEN TO FROM START TO FINISH .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gig !, 14 May 2013
Blackmore is Blackmore ! I think it's not worth hurry to bury Blackmore's Night after Autumn Sky. Blackmore is genius (especially under wise guidance of Candice) !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., 27 Jan. 2013
Great. Candice Night and Richie Blackmore at their best (again). Glad that I got the DVD as well as the CD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›