5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value
Had this phone a day - first impressions; this really is cracking value, a fully featured Android phone for £100, there really is nothing that come close to this for price against spec.
It's fast, it has a good screen and neutral styling and come with the promise of Ice Cream Sandwich, *soon*.
You simply can not argue for the money - highly recommended...
Published on 1 July 2012 by JazzieG - Reading

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
Published 18 months ago by McFlono McFlunilu

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Vodafone Huawei Ascend G300 Pay as you go Smartphone - White/Silver (Electronics)
You simply can not argue for the money - highly recommended.
Pros: big screen, fast processor
Cons: not a desirable brand name
Yes, I totally recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smartphone challenges those twice the price, 21 Jun 2012
At a hundred pounds, this is absolutely amazing value.

Excellent resolution on a 4" screen, 1Ghz CPU and decent RAM, microSD for expandable storage, HSPA 72Mbps for very fast UK internet (its seems as fast as my ADSL at times!), and more...

Clearly at this price this won't challenge a Samsung SIII or a HTC One X... but you get a lot of smartphone experience with this G300. I held off for ages as the phones at this price were unusable when I tried them.

Browsing the web is pleasurable - even for a good amount of reading. The UI is fluid. The apps load fairly fast. Add a microSD card and add lots of apps / media.

The screen as I say has excellent resolution 800x480 (usually priced more than double) and the size is good too. Its brilliant indoors - but be warned, its very hard to read in bright sunlight.

The Android version is 2.3.6 - and a 4.0 is promised as the device is capable. Great - even better value from this investment. Huawei have done what most carriers don't do - they haent' spoilt the Android experience with too many changes, too many apps, too many things getting in the way, too many battery life sucking extras. The Android skin here is light, and actually useful - well done Huawei .. other carriers learn from this.

The bad - and there will be some at this price, but won't detract from the rating I give this because this phone should cost twice or thrice the price - the screen is not great in bright sunlight, and the touch buttons at the bottom are not always responsive. That's it! Oh - and I can't get the gmail app to sync when I want it to but that's an issue for Google as it appears to affect other phones/carriers.

I got mine unlocked for free at a Vodafone store - haggle and you'll get it unlocked for free.

Let me put it this way - if I lost this today, I'd happily get the same phone as replacement. That's a recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, 7 Aug 2012
Iv had the phone now for a few days, i have now had the chance to use it and its features to help me write this review.
Out of the box as previously described in other posts, this phone looks the business, not dissimilar to the HTC One. Having never owned a smart phone let a lone used one it took me around 30 minutes to get to grips with the menu buttons. Using the instructions helped in my initial set up.

Being in the IT trade, my first concern was the virus protection. Theres an app for that. I used AVAST, a free app which appears to have a good write up and looks easy enough to use. After the first day and full charge, i noticed that that battery was barely lasting half a day. Looking at the processes running, it appeared that i had almost every app running. Not to worry, i installed ADVANCED APP KILLER by android. Having a short cut to one of the 4 home screens, means that in one touch, all apps running in the background are closed. I can now have the phone on all day with mild use and still have over 60% battery left by 7pm. Next up is the firmware update. Apparently it fixes plenty of current issues with the original operating system, sound issues ect.

Apps are easy enough to install, once a google account is created. Better still you can use your home pc to down load and install to your phone, without the use of cables. As long as you are signed in on your phone and the pc, google will do the rest.

App killer, Virus Software, operating system update installed you are now free to customise your phone however you want it. Another useful tool is the battery saving software however i have not felt a need to install one yet. I have also heard of an app to boost your screen brightness further than the current default. Il be looking into this as in any form of light, the screen is quite had to see - but not impossible.

So to surmise
Pro
Easy to set up and customise
Future updates to firmware are in the making and will work on this phone
Fast and responsive.
Phone calls are crystal clear
Internet is fast enough.
Even for my fat fingers, texting is surprisingly easy, given the size of the "keyboard".
Iv not had much luck with the voice recognition but that's probably down to me using it wrong. It looks like it would be a neat little tool tho.
Excellent for the price. £99 from Asda or online at Very.
I can already tell that there is so much to this phone that i have yet to discover all the other pros i have not yet come across.

Cons
The 3 soft keys at the bottom once in a while become un responsive. But this is not an issue, another press and all is forgiven.
In the 4 days iv had it, it has become with regards to apps, unresponsive twice, giving me the option to wait or cancel app. Its quicker to cancel and go back into what ever I was trying to do than wait.
Screen brightness is a problem. Having used it inside since I had it, I was gutted when trying to do some internet banking outside the shop. It left me curled up in my car trying to block out as much light as possible. As mentioned earlier, I think there is an app to brighten this up.
No case or screen protectors provided. Iv got mine from amazon total cost about £10.
I will defiantly recommend this phone as the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without doubt the best "budget" Android phone!, 10 Aug 2012
Mr. J. S. Dare "John Dare" (Bedford) - See all my reviews
I bought this phone with a heavy heart - I had recently lost my much loved iphone 3G and could not afford to buy a replacement iphone. I had a budget of around £100 and after some research decided to buy the Huawei Ascend G300. I am so glad I did! What a fantastic phone, it completely exceeds my expectations! An easy to use capacative 4 inch touch screen, fast download speeds and quite decent battery life all combine in a great smartphone. OK the camera is not the best but I prefer to use a dedicated camera anyway. My only criticism relates to the screen not being easy to see in bright sunlight. Other than that the Huawei Ascend G300 gives many more expensive smartphones a run for their money. It may not perform as well as an iphone 4S or a top of the range Samsung but for what it costs it is incredible. If you want a great value and very capable smartphone at a very affordable price and you are not blinkered by brand snobbery then the Huawei Ascend G300 is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone - note: it is locked to Vodafone - great Amazon customer service to resolve, 4 Feb 2013
I've already got one of these phones and am very happy with it - a very good Android phone for the money that is readily upgradeable to ICS etc.

Family members wanted one for themselves, so I bought a pair. As the description (at the time ordering) clearly and unambiguously said the phone was unlocked, that was a bonus.

Unfortunately when the phones arrived, it was clear that they were Vodafone locked and with the Vodafone firmware load. Getting the phones unlocked wouldn't be a problem, plenty of services out their (I use MobileUnlocked - go via giffgaff to get a discount), but it was still money I hadn't planned on spending (£10.90 per phone)

A Vodafone branded phone isn't as bad as you might think - unlocking is a doddle, yes, there are a few applications that you can not get rid off (I don't do facebook, so wanted to completely uninstall it), but the big bonus is you still get the Vodafone Android patches / upgrades - my original phone was on Jellybean but easily upgraded to ICS.

So, if you're looking for a good aggressively priced Android Smartphone, you definitely should look at this one

Read on now for a great example of customer service....

One of the reasons I shop with Amazon is Customer service when things go wrong. On this occasion I mailed the customer service team describing the problem and telling them that I liked the phones, so didn't want to return them, but now had an additional unexpected cost on my hands.

Within a couple of hours I had a reply telling me that I could get the phones unlocked and they would refund the cost of the unlocking. I called them to check whether they'd need receipts (they didn't) and to let them know the cost. Then within a few more hours I had the notification of the refund back onto my payment card. I love the way that Amazon empowers their Customer Service teams to solve problems quickly. Amazing.

I have asked that the description of the item is changed to make it clear that it is a locked phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 10 Mar 2013
The phone is very good for it's price! It has everything that you can want from a budged smartphone and more! I have it for 2 months but lately I have a problem with the outgoing calls, every 2nd or 3rd call is going thrue but I can't hear anything from the other side, that's only when I'm makeing a call to someone and I have to call 2-3 times to actually start hearing the other person and make a conversation.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brightest Star in the Budget Android Heaven., 25 Nov 2012
The Huawei Ascend G300 is the best phone in its class
punching its weight and way above its weight in terms
of the features available on it,its looks and its performance.
With the available update to ICS installed the phone raises the bar even further.
The scrolling (an issue on the original Gingerbread )becomes seamless, the contacts easier to manage
and all in all the navigating around the phone is enhanced.
For a hundred pounds you really can't go wrong with the Huawei Ascend G300.It looks and feels with its
big "screen" and build quality like a much more expensive smartphone.
The fact that it is made totally of plastic should not put you off as it feels like metal.
It is not at all cheap in the hand but has substance and although the camera and video are not
up to HD standard they are perfectly adequate for the job of capturing spontaneous happenings.
Most of us have dedicated video and camera equipment anyway so for me there are no bad points with this phone.
The android market has certainly seen some affordable stars rising in its ranks of late the most notable being the Huawei Ascend G300
offering specs that a year and a half ago were cutting edge and while they fall short of their much more expensive counterparts
they surely will sound the death knell for these self same contemporaries by dint of their affordability.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy bunny, 2 Sep 2012
very pleased with my huawei - got it unlocked for a fiver and put my monthly tmobile sim in - works a treat. the 1gig processor keeps things moving nicely. you may need to set up your data manually but you can google all that - excelent screen size - took my 8gb micro card with no probs - result!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more than you'd expect for £100, 12 Jun 2012
Received this phone from Vodafone last week. I will be reviewing the G300 from the point of view of someone switching from the Samsung Galaxy SII to this phone.

Moving from a SII to the G300, I expected to really feel the lower processor speed, fewer cores, lower RAM, and smaller screen. The actual switch though has been a lot less of a downgrade than I thought. Yes, the G300 feels slower on certain operations - say 0.5 seconds more to open a webpage or an app. There is a slight hesitation which was not present on the SII. However, I have had no problems with running out of RAM (Android will kill off processes when you open new apps which require RAM). The screen is generally a decent substitute for the 4.27" SAMOLED+ on the Samsung (smaller size + same resolution = higher PPI, finer detail), though colours are not as bright. I'm not into intensive multi-tasking so the fewer cores have not impacted my experience.

If you're on a budget, this is definitely the phone you want to get. It beats the sub-£150 competition with variously its bigger, sharper screen, faster processor, bigger battery, camera flash, Hauwei's planned software upgrade, and solid build. As a package there is nothing to beat it at this price level.

It's not prefect though, of course. Bad points: legibility in sunlight is not great. The buttons below the screen are a bit shoddy in terms of responsiveness 'out of the box'. I find the phone heavy (140g vs 113g weight of my previous phone), the sides quite slippy, and it could be faster in operation. Also, one thing I miss is having a front-facing camera.

Overall, for more than a £200 differential between this and my previous phone I am pleasantly surprised. I did have low expectations though!!

For those of you who are comfortable with such things, I strongly recommend upgrading the device software. There is a ROM on the MoDaCo forum called the B888 build and it greatly improves the responsiveness of the buttons below the screen. This may or may not invalidate your warranty - I accept no responsibility.

EDIT: There is an update to ICS 4.0.4 in the wild. All details on MoDaCo link above

4.0 out of 5 stars My Huawei G300, 29 Jan 2013
Received my phone a couple of days ago. On the selling page it states that:

Product Description
SIM FREE - UNLOCKED - JELLY BEAN ANDROID 4.1 PREINSTALLED - PLUS APPS OF YOUR CHOICE ADDED - UNLOCKED

I therefore made the assumption that that was what i would get, ie, an unlocked, sim free phone with the latest version of Android O/S, Jellybean, installed. Wrong! the phone is locked to UK Vodafone, full of Vodafone branding and is running Android Ice Cream Sandwich! Although the phone works fine and is value for money, given it's functions and amount paid, buyers beware! ATM there is no Jellybean for the Huawei G300, it is locked to Vodafone and full of Vodafone branding, so extra needs to be spent to unlock and debrand!