5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound
Published on 5 Nov. 2012 by Davis Byars

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little thing...But not loud enough.
Published on 29 Sept. 2012 by Mr. Glyn D. Ingram

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, 5 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
I bought the Sony Walkman to replace a Philips Songbird which I carelessly lost in Romania. The Songbird wasn't bad, but I thought the loss gave me opportunity to get something better. I chose the Sony rather than iPod because I just don't like iTunes, they really irritate me. Windows Media and Winamp, plus AVS Audio Converter, are far better for uploading and file conversion. Another reason for the choice was that Fiio supply a docking lead for the Walkman, so that you can use one of their portable head-amps for on the move. I had read complaints here that the Walkman doesn't have enough output: but this is only true for the pathetically inadequate earbuds supplied with the product: in the event, I found amplification completely unnecessary. I am using Etymotic 6i in-ear phones, and the combination seems to be absolutely ideal. The output is more than enough; I don't even have to use full volume always. The 6i's are a little bright, and their base roll-off is perfectly compensated by the base boost given out by the Walkman. The result is extraordinarily exciting sound, perhaps not exactly accurate, but more than adequate when you're on the move. The navigation is very quick and easy: the one snag is that I haven't yet discovered how to stop it moving onto the next playlist when one is finished. I would readily recommend this product to any one interested in buying a good quality handy little MP3 at a reasonable price. The only snag is you need to buy decent headphones to go with it.

Update 03/06/2014. Glad to see so many people have found my review useful. Since reviewing, I have tried other devices playing FLAC files,but haven't found the sound any better, and the facilities much inferior. The Etymotic ER-6i's lost a channel, after 7 years' use, so I replaced them with ER-4PT's, and find this an even better combination. The EU Nanny-Cap never comes down on me, despite generous volume. Still impressed by the good sound, the battery life, the file capacity and the easy navigation. The one niggle I find is the sensitivity of the touch controls: slip it into your pocket and you may find you have activated the start button and it's been silently running the battery down! A good buy still nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 7 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
To go against a lot of opions, I have never got on with the I pod.
I do not really like the sound quality, and find the software, a lot of trouble.
The sound quality on the Sony Walkman for me is great,to transfer music files you have two options.
You can just drag and drop folders and files, as in windows, which is a lot faster, or use the software, that comes with it.
If you like good sound, have a listen to the walkman, before spending money.
The only problem is, that it is only 8GB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
I recently bought some quality headphones, and discovered the sound quality of my ipod classic and nano was really very poor. So I was looking for an alternative to apple, but that would work with my existing music collection in itunes. I was tempted by some of the Cowon mp3 players as they have a good reputation for sound quality, but as they're not compatible with AAC files I couldn't face starting again wiith converting all my CDs. This Sony player therefore seemed to the best, affordable option. I wanted to pay for a music player, not a multi function device with apps, games etc that I don't need - I've got an iphone for that!

Having decided on the Sony, the sound quality is really very good, with easily adjustable equaliser and sound settings. There's so many possible combinations, I haven't been able to try them all yet. The bass thumping if you want it, but can be toned down to suit your preference or music genre. The supplied headphones are also good, but are open-backed, so possibly not the best if you don't want to disturb your fellow passengers.

I have found Sony's Media Go software very easy to use, and dragging files directly from itunes onto the walkman surprisingly simple. Transfer time seemed a little slow, but that may be down to my USB connection.

The walkman also looks and feels lovely, small, slim and made of the same sort of aluminium as ipods. Only the patterned fascia around the screen is plastic I think. Having used apple touch screen products for a while now, I've found it quite a nice change to use actual buttons - adjusting the volume or skipping tracks without having to look at the screen is a definate plus. It's also more discreet whilst out and about, no need to have expensive kit on show as it can stay in your pocket.

The only downside to this product might be that it's only 8gb. If only Sony made it in different memory sizes - I'd definately buy a 16 or 32gb version!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
This is the second sony I've had & I have to say, it's just as good as my first one.
The media go software is easy to use, especially if you want load your own cd's on it.
Sound quality good & very easy to use menu.Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little thing...But not loud enough., 29 Sept. 2012
Mr. Glyn D. Ingram (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
Based on an earlier review of this product on Amazon, I decided to take a punt and purchase one of these players. Sadly, contrary to what the customer writes, the little contraption features a volume setting which is capped, and it absolutley is not loud enough, even if he insists it is. I'm 33 and have no known hearing problems. I'd probably say it's a little louder than previous Sony players I've had, but this may only be because it comes with a set of those nasty right-in-the-ear headset thingies that help to block out noise around you. Otherwise, many tracks, even at 'full blast,' are just too damn quiet. I formated it, placed it back into the box and returned it.

Otherwise, it seems a decent enough player (hence the 3 stars); it's small, light and is also pretty easy to navigate around and download tracks to. As to whether the 8g storage is enough for you all depends, and I'd certainly agree that the sound itself is very clear. Personally, however, I'd strongly advise you spend a bit more and have one imported from outside the EU (what I did before) where this ridiculous volume cap thingy is not installed, as there appears to be no way whatsoever to override it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid little unit, 18 Sept. 2013
Flaco "flacolito" (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
I absolutely agree that these units should be small, but it causes me problems because I can't see the writing unless I'm wearing glasses and my clumsy fingers occasionally make the wrong selection because of the close bunching of the controls. The sound quality is excellent, albeit it ruined in terms of volume (lack of) because of the usual EU directive nonsense. There might be a firmware download to rectify that but having bricked a Sansa in the past with a simple firmware change, I'm reluctant to attempt it. That's the nitpicking over.

Sound quality of the included earbuds is perfectly good for me, and I'm normally picky over that. What I like most about this unit is that it is just dead simple and intuitive to use. The list of functions is not massive, but perfectly adequate. You will not need to waste time reading a manual because from the moment you switch it on it is instantly obvious what all the icons are for.

I use this unit for storing and playing backing tracks for my wife's singing via a PA system. Making an ordered playlist of the songs for a show is quick and simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loves it, but beware..., 30 Dec. 2012
Brought this for my 9-year old daughter for Christmas. She loves it, however not impressed that iTunes audio books are not compatible with the device without having to spend more money on audio converting software to do this (which takes ages to do!). Have since discovered that Amazon audio files are compatible so would advise people to purchase from them rather than iTunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
I listen to audio books & this player gives a good clear sound, easy to use & holds a lot of data

2.0 out of 5 stars Fault with the volume control, 19 Jun. 2013
In itself this is a great MP3 player. I’ve owned them before and they are simple to use and offer plenty of functionality such as the usual playlist functionality, FM radio etc.

I chose this model to use whilst running, at the gym etc. It seemed to have a robust build quality, however there is a fault with the volume control. The volume is a push button on the side of the unit, however for some reason this has broken and I’m unable to either increase or decrease the volume. I’ve looked it up online and apparently it’s quite a common fault and isn’t something that can be fixed.

If the unit had taken a knock or not been taken care of I probably wouldn’t mind, but that one element of its design/build is just a bit too fragile.

So, in itself I’d recommend this MP3 player, but be aware that there may be issues with the volume control breaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars freedom from the tyranny of iTunes :), 18 Oct. 2012
John Davison - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (Electronics)
I love this little machine. It is small and elegant. Too big to lose at the bottom of your bag, but small enough to slip into the tiniest pocket. After experimenting I ignored the Media Go software that came with it and went with Windows Media Player.

Simple controls - I particularly like the simple Hold button on the side to prevent programmes jumping around. No irritating touch screen. I like everything about it.

Seven stars.