5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound
Published 22 months ago by Davis Byars

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little thing...But not loud enough.
Published 23 months ago by Mr. Glyn D. Ingram

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought the Sony Walkman to replace a Philips Songbird which I carelessly lost in Romania. The Songbird wasn't bad, but I thought the loss gave me opportunity to get something better. I chose the Sony rather than iPod because I just don't like iTunes, they really irritate me. Windows Media and Winamp, plus AVS Audio Converter, are far better for uploading and file conversion. Another reason for the choice was that Fiio supply a docking lead for the Walkman, so that you can use one of their portable head-amps for on the move. I had read complaints here that the Walkman doesn't have enough output: but this is only true for the pathetically inadequate earbuds supplied with the product: in the event, I found amplification completely unnecessary. I am using Etymotic 6i in-ear phones, and the combination seems to be absolutely ideal. The output is more than enough; I don't even have to use full volume always. The 6i's are a little bright, and their base roll-off is perfectly compensated by the base boost given out by the Walkman. The result is extraordinarily exciting sound, perhaps not exactly accurate, but more than adequate when you're on the move. The navigation is very quick and easy: the one snag is that I haven't yet discovered how to stop it moving onto the next playlist when one is finished. I would readily recommend this product to any one interested in buying a good quality handy little MP3 at a reasonable price. The only snag is you need to buy decent headphones to go with it.

Update 03/06/2014. Glad to see so many people have found my review useful. Since reviewing, I have tried other devices playing FLAC files,but haven't found the sound any better, and the facilities much inferior. The Etymotic ER-6i's lost a channel, after 7 years' use, so I replaced them with ER-4PT's, and find this an even better combination. The EU Nanny-Cap never comes down on me, despite generous volume. Still impressed by the good sound, the battery life, the file capacity and the easy navigation. The one niggle I find is the sensitivity of the touch controls: slip it into your pocket and you may find you have activated the start button and it's been silently running the battery down! A good buy still nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Oct 2012
This is the second sony I've had & I have to say, it's just as good as my first one.
The media go software is easy to use, especially if you want load your own cd's on it.
Sound quality good & very easy to use menu.Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 7 Aug 2012
To go against a lot of opions, I have never got on with the I pod.
I do not really like the sound quality, and find the software, a lot of trouble.
The sound quality on the Sony Walkman for me is great,to transfer music files you have two options.
You can just drag and drop folders and files, as in windows, which is a lot faster, or use the software, that comes with it.
If you like good sound, have a listen to the walkman, before spending money.
The only problem is, that it is only 8GB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased - my 7 year old daughter loves it!, 12 Feb 2013
We bought this after buying a different company's 25 mp3 player, which broke almost immediately - you get what you pay for I guess.

However, Sony, despite their recent financial problems, are still a reliable brand name with solid products.

This MP3 player was specifically chosen because it is pink, and my daughter just loves pink! It's also possible to change the wallpaper, and that is now pink too :-)

The player itself is easy to use. Plug it into a PC, and software is installed allowing you to rip CDs and upload them to the player with a minimum of fuss. Additionally, the software searches your PC for any (nonDRM) music already present, and can upload that too. Drag and drop can alternatively be used. AAC and MP3 are supported, among other formats.

But it's not just an MP3 player! As a bonus, it's possible to upload photos, watch videos, take voice notes, play podcasts and even comes with a couple of pre-installed games (like the old Nokia games of a few years back - think Snake, not Angry Birds!) It's also got an FM Radio too :-)

The volume seems plenty loud enough for me - in fact, in a quiet room, I was unable to crank it all the way to the highest setting because it became too loud for me. The bundled earphones seem to be of a high quality too, doing a nice job of fitting inside the ear, and blocking outside noise. Different sized ear buds are included.

I would imagine this is a great product for working out in the gym, for example, as it's very lightweight and nice looking. 8gb is easily enough space too (over 1,500 songs - good enough for most sessions!)

Can't comment on the battery life yet, although we charged it for an hour straight out the box, and it's still going strong a few days later.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. It was a little more than I was originally intending to pay, but am pleased with the build quality and functionality of the product.

I will answer any comments, and let me know if this review was helpful to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, 29 Sep 2012
I recently bought some quality headphones, and discovered the sound quality of my ipod classic and nano was really very poor. So I was looking for an alternative to apple, but that would work with my existing music collection in itunes. I was tempted by some of the Cowon mp3 players as they have a good reputation for sound quality, but as they're not compatible with AAC files I couldn't face starting again wiith converting all my CDs. This Sony player therefore seemed to the best, affordable option. I wanted to pay for a music player, not a multi function device with apps, games etc that I don't need - I've got an iphone for that!

Having decided on the Sony, the sound quality is really very good, with easily adjustable equaliser and sound settings. There's so many possible combinations, I haven't been able to try them all yet. The bass thumping if you want it, but can be toned down to suit your preference or music genre. The supplied headphones are also good, but are open-backed, so possibly not the best if you don't want to disturb your fellow passengers.

I have found Sony's Media Go software very easy to use, and dragging files directly from itunes onto the walkman surprisingly simple. Transfer time seemed a little slow, but that may be down to my USB connection.

The walkman also looks and feels lovely, small, slim and made of the same sort of aluminium as ipods. Only the patterned fascia around the screen is plastic I think. Having used apple touch screen products for a while now, I've found it quite a nice change to use actual buttons - adjusting the volume or skipping tracks without having to look at the screen is a definate plus. It's also more discreet whilst out and about, no need to have expensive kit on show as it can stay in your pocket.

The only downside to this product might be that it's only 8gb. If only Sony made it in different memory sizes - I'd definately buy a 16 or 32gb version!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little thing...But not loud enough., 29 Sep 2012
Mr. Glyn D. Ingram (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
Based on an earlier review of this product on Amazon, I decided to take a punt and purchase one of these players. Sadly, contrary to what the customer writes, the little contraption features a volume setting which is capped, and it absolutley is not loud enough, even if he insists it is. I'm 33 and have no known hearing problems. I'd probably say it's a little louder than previous Sony players I've had, but this may only be because it comes with a set of those nasty right-in-the-ear headset thingies that help to block out noise around you. Otherwise, many tracks, even at 'full blast,' are just too damn quiet. I formated it, placed it back into the box and returned it.

Otherwise, it seems a decent enough player (hence the 3 stars); it's small, light and is also pretty easy to navigate around and download tracks to. As to whether the 8g storage is enough for you all depends, and I'd certainly agree that the sound itself is very clear. Personally, however, I'd strongly advise you spend a bit more and have one imported from outside the EU (what I did before) where this ridiculous volume cap thingy is not installed, as there appears to be no way whatsoever to override it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 Nov 2012
I listen to audio books & this player gives a good clear sound, easy to use & holds a lot of data

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loves it, but beware..., 30 Dec 2012
Brought this for my 9-year old daughter for Christmas. She loves it, however not impressed that iTunes audio books are not compatible with the device without having to spend more money on audio converting software to do this (which takes ages to do!). Have since discovered that Amazon audio files are compatible so would advise people to purchase from them rather than iTunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars freedom from the tyranny of iTunes :), 18 Oct 2012
John Davison - See all my reviews
I love this little machine. It is small and elegant. Too big to lose at the bottom of your bag, but small enough to slip into the tiniest pocket. After experimenting I ignored the Media Go software that came with it and went with Windows Media Player.

Simple controls - I particularly like the simple Hold button on the side to prevent programmes jumping around. No irritating touch screen. I like everything about it.

Seven stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, so far., 3 Aug 2012
Amazon Customer "Photofox" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this from Amazon just after it was introduced; there was no detailed product description nor any reviews so it was a bit of a leap of faith.
I've only used iPods before so was unfamiliar with the Sony Walkman.
Of course, being a man, I neglected to read the on line manual and dived straight into it...bit of a mistake, but I managed to transfer songs OK. However, I'm a bit stuck now re Playlists and such, so will have to open the Help manual. (I hate those on-line Helps because, if you can't open two screens, you have to flip backwards and forwards)
I have a number of tracks on Windows Music which will not download for some reason.

One thing I was worried about were the many comments about other Walkman's which complained that the volume did not go high enough. Well, I'm quite aged and my hearing is not what it was but with the volume slightly over half way it is easily loud enough for me.
I'll probably not use the photos or podcast features but, no doubt, others will find them useful.
I'm happy with the quality of this product and with the various features (which I'm still exploring)

Forgot to mention that the headphones supplied are also excellent.

UPDATE: Can anyone tell me how/is it possible, to shuffle songs in a playlist? I've created several playlists but don't want it played to me in Artists order. I want to have them play randomly. Thanks.