5.0 out of 5 stars Good Wireless Adapter
This ASUS Wireless adapter has two good features

1. Looks. It actually looks like a small pyramid and had fancy blue glowing lights...I work in IT and anything with blue glowing lights has to be good. The shape allows it to be pushed onto a corner and forgotten about, without aeriels sticking up everywhere.

2. Connectivity. It supports two power...
Published 19 months ago by Richard Kelly

1.0 out of 5 stars Unknown
More than 6 weeks after paying my money I still don't have a working model, or information as to when I may expect one. There was a fault with the item I bought (which I did receive promptly) and this has been returned, but I have not had any communication to attempt to resolve the matter. Unhappy customer!
Published 6 months ago by frankiesilver

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Wireless Adapter, 30 April 2013
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus USB-N66 450MBps USB 2.0 Wireless Dual-Band USB Ethernet Adapter (Accessory)
This ASUS Wireless adapter has two good features

2. Connectivity. It supports two power modes (normal and high) to try and boost signal strength. Support for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency ranges - I've been trying it with a TP-Link TL-WDR4900 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit CABLE Router and it works fine on the 5Ghz range (I've also tried it with and older router and it was fine on 2.4Ghz connections).

Connection and installation was pretty quick. Plug it into a USB cable, run the installer, configure your wireless settings or use WPS (the button is on the bottom near one of the feet). I would be tempted to download the latest version of the configuration software form the internet as the supplied version is quite old, although to be fair it did work fine.

Overall I'm quite impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if this is any better than a smaller model, 25 April 2013
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although it may look like a model of the Great Pyramid of Giza, the USB-N66 is actually a (comparatively large) USB wireless adaptor, for PCs that don't come with Wireless 'N' networking built-in. Measuring 122mm wide by 111mm deep and 62mm high, it definitely isn't designed for those on-the-go, not least of all because it needs somewhere to sit rather than just sticking out of your PC like a Wi-Fi dongle. It's squarely aimed at home-based PCs but I will admit that it looks quite nice when turned on, with a startling internal blue LED lighting effect showing up its lines quite nicely. This extra size is to house dual-band, orthogonal antennas, which supposedly means wider coverage and a faster connection rate - a whopping 450Mbps according to Asus.

You don't get a hard copy manual with the Asus but you do get one on the included CD. It's quite helpful in a lot of areas, explaining to non-techies (like me) what the various terms mean and how to go about getting the most out of the N66. But if you don't like reading, don't worry, because the Asus was - almost - plug-and-play straight out of the box.

I say `almost', because if the Asus Wireless 'N' dongle I bought not that long ago was anything to go by, getting the N66 up and running seemed like a fairly simple proposition. I sited it on the desk next to my PC and plugged it into one of my PCs available USB ports using the included cable. It draws its power from USB so it doesn't need a separate mains adaptor to work, meaning less trailing wires, if not necessarily more portability. I already had some Asus wireless control software installed on my PC from my old dongle, but it wasn't able to control the N66 so I had to install the N66's utility software from the CD. This was a little perplexing, as this software looked almost identical to that already installed and appeared to work the same way, but I had no choice but to put it on my PC in order to get things up and running.

And getting the N66 up and running was the first hurdle I had to overcome, and this took me a good hour of effort. I installed the utility software and drivers from the CD but I couldn't get my PC to connect to my router, either using the Asus software or the Windows Zero Configuration utility. I re-started my PC, with no effect, and then decided to re-install everything and to go through the connection process again. After stopping and starting the N66 utility, and switching between it and the Windows Zero Configuration several times, I finally managed to connect to my router, although for the first 10 minutes or so the connection was intermittent and the connection speed variable. My previous dongle gave me an almost unflinchingly solid connection and a pretty much constant 300Mbps connection rate from the off, and although the N66 eventually did the same, it never reached the claimed 450Mbps transfer speed. Then again, that might have been a limitation of my router. There's a high/standard power switch located at the back of the adaptor but the manual doesn't say what this is for, nor did alternating between the two modes have any appreciable effect on the signal or speed.

The Asus N66 utility software was, at least, easy to install and to get to grips with, once the adaptor itself was working properly. Nicely, pretty much all of the settings are pre-fixed at their optimum levels so there's very little tinkering to do, unless you really want to start mucking about with things. In addition to adjusting the network settings, the N66 utility also allows you to scan for wireless networks, monitor your network's status and to use the adaptor in what's known as 'Software Access Point' mode. This turns the N66 into a wireless access point for devices to connect to, similar I would imagine to a portable wireless router, although the size of the N66 does limit its appeal here a little. Although you don't need to use this software if you don't want to - the Windows Zero Configuration utility does the job as well - you are advised to do so even if it's just to make sure that the settings are correct.

Given its size and purported benefits over a smaller, less featured, dongle, I was expecting wondrous things from the N66. Granted, I may have been expecting a little too much, especially given how few problems (none, in fact) my older Asus dongle has given me and how well it works. It may be of benefit in some situations where the signal from the router is patchy or blocked by several walls, but in my tests it didn't pick up any additional routers (although I know they're out there), the connection strength was no better, and the transfer speeds were the same. It may well be better for someone living in an old house with thick walls, or in instances where the router is well away from the connecting PC, but neither unfortunately applies to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alien looks with real world performance, 20 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Upon first seeing this, it looks like something an Alienware owner would love and a little tacky. However being more interested in getting the most of my BT Infinity 2 product, the specs sold it for me. A wireless dual band adapter, with access point functions. A real winner.

It being USB2, I thought that it would act as a bottle neck. I have a micro usb wireless-n adapter that is rated as 150mbps (Have no idea what this means in theory) but in practice this meant that nevermind how close I was to my router, the maximum speed I could get was 15-20mbps out of a potential 65mbps that Infinity 2 can deliver downspeed.

This product was rated 450mbps, so I immediately thought that worse case scenario, I should get at least 3 times the speed of my micro-usb adapter (the logic may be wrong) which likely as a result of my max speed turned out to be the case. Windows 8 says I'm connecting at 130mbps, and speedtest.net says I'm getting around 60mps download which is truly impressive. I expect that network congestion or other factors prevent me from getting the full maximum.

So in all, the design is a bit crazy. Like something out of a sci-fi novel, but it performs it's core function well. Note that it can also be used as an access point. E.g. Something other devices connect to. This is especially useful if you're looking to extend the range of your internet connection for instance. Also marketed is a high power switch, that is supposed to increase the wireless coverage. This being used in my desktop pc indoors, one floor away from the router, I can't say if high mode made a difference in coverage, but I'm currently using it on standard as recommended by a review I read online which said there wasn't much impact on using high power mode.

Be sure to plug in the device and install the windows drivers, before installing the utility from the disc. This utility seems only useful to turn it from a wireless adapter station to an access point, so if only performing the former, it's probably not an essential install.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've tried cheap internal wifi cards and USB dongles but this blew them away, 21 Mar 2014
Mr N. Jones (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
As a software developer I regularly come across different hardware configurations and have tried lots of devices to try and get a decent download speed over wifi, and this device has justified its cost.

When used with my BT Infinity broadband I get download speeds of around 8 or 9 megabytes per second.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good bit of kit for the price, 19 Dec 2013
Regardless of whether you like the backlit pyramid design the effect on upload and download speed was impressive.

Installation was simple and the interface is also pretty straightforward.

The Wireless access point option might be handy if you have deadspots but I haven't used it so I can't pass further comment.

All in all a good bit of kit for the price.

All I need to do now is get my ISP to replace my router/modem!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 18 Nov 2013
R. Sullivan "Ron" (England) - See all my reviews
I have upgraded my son's old 2006 Acer laptop with a larger and faster HDD and memory. Currently. this device has increased the internet connection speed from 2.4 Ghz 802.11g 54Mbps to 5Ghz 802.11n 450Mbps using Channel 44. I use the matching Asus RT-N66U N900 Router. It was necessary to download the latest Router Firmware v 3.0.0.4 374_979 in order to try and get this device to retain the faster 5Ghz speed. I still have my doubts as to whether it will retain the faster 5Ghz speed after hot reboots, which is why I have only given it 4 stars at this time. Maybe a latest spec. laptop would get around this possible problem but then again, the on board internet adapter would preclude the use of this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect USB Ethernet Adapter, 2 Aug 2014
Perfect and speedy Dual Band! I use it already over the month and everything works without any issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Aug 2014
Good reception. Good stuff, will not buy anything else except this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides high strength wi-fi connection, 9 Feb 2013
Bought together with an Asus RT-N56U router to upgrade from the weak Virgin Super Hub products. As a result wi-fi transfer rate increased from around 30Mbps to a constant 300Mbps with no drop outs since purchase 2 months ago. Installing the adapter was straightforward.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unknown, 29 April 2014