5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Replacement
Published on 13 Mar. 2013 by David Fitzjohn

1.0 out of 5 stars The original strap which came with the device (bought around February 2014) worked fine until this week
The heart rate detectors appear to keep failing on these straps - I've bought 4 straps so far. 2 went in the bin and these were bought to replace them.
The original strap which came with the device (bought around February 2014) worked fine until this week. I bought replacement straps to be used when needed, but both straps failed on first use. Now out of returns time...
Published 7 months ago by Shazz

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Replacement, 13 Mar. 2013
David Fitzjohn (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
The original strap that came with my Garmin device was OK at first but as I completed more and more workouts the electrode pads became distorted. Also, the HR monitoring became intermittent. After reading on several forums that the Garmin strap was prone to this defect and the Polar version was recommended as an alternative I purchased one from Amazon. The new strap is comfortable and the Garmin sensor/transmitter fits neatly onto the Polar belt without modification. I've been using the new arrangement for many weeks now and the intermittent HR tracking has not been apparent. I would recommend this product as an alternative to the Garmin original if you are having the same issues as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Garmin ANT+ Transmitter, 29 Jan. 2013
I found a tip online that this strap worked better than the full Garmin model. I have to say I have been very impressed, they proper soft Garmin strap was going to be 3 times the price and as one had let me down already I was reluctant to pay out for another.

So anyone who has a Garmin strap that has started failing, this is a great and cheaper alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. The smaller size of the XS-S has made my heart rate monitor much easier to use, 1 Mar. 2013
The smaller size of the XS-S has meant a much better fit with less slippage. The strap expands to about 28 inches. I previously had the standard M-XXL soft strap that came with the monitor and this has a minimum size of about 28 inches, so it was always a bit loose and kept falling off if I wasn't careful (I'm quite small).

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably great, but do your research first., 30 Oct. 2014
I'm sure it's a fantastic strap given all the other reviews, but I'm unable to use it with my Garmin HRM3. Foolishly I didn't do my research thoroughly and it would appear that he lugs will not accept my HRM as the plastic surrounds are lipped thus preventing a connection.

Beware before you purchase if you are looking for a Garmin strap replacement!

Edit: Given that returning the item would have incurred quite a hefty fee I opted to modify the belt slightly for my Garmin HRM3 (I'm assuming it would work with the HRM2 also) and am happy to say that it works perfectly.

I simply cut back the rubber around the connectors careful with a knife and hey presto! connection is possible

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for Garmin strap., 2 Dec. 2013
I bought this to replace an 18 month old Garmin premium soft strap that was starting to give erratic and unreliable readings. My heart rate profile in Garmin Connect looked square and blocky, it used to be fine detailed peaks on the graph. After some reading online I found this Polar strap was rated highly and would fit my Garmin HR monitor. The fact its less than half the price is another great reason to get it! It fits, it works, I trust the accuracy of the HR data again. Full marks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Garmin, 4 May 2014
P. Cheetham (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a Garmin soft strap that was getting unreliable after 2 years use, after reading in several places that it was compatible.
Not only is it compatible, it performs better than the Garmin strap and is more comfortable, at about a third of the price.
This has longer electrodes than the Garmin strap, which seem to be made out of conductive rubber rather than the harder plasticky electrodes of the Garmin, and they are more flexible. Because they are more flexible the electrodes mould to your body better, making them comfortable and allowing them to get better contact.
The Garmin sensor just clips straight on without any problems.
A great investment

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice strap - does not fit Garmin HRM3-SS module without modification, 15 Jan. 2015
David Green (UK) - See all my reviews
I have a Garmin HRM3-SS (the latest premium strap, black with the grey woven material and the extra contact patch on the left side). I wanted a spare strap to cycle through the washing.

I can confirm that as of Jan 15 this polar strap does NOT fit the Garmin HRM3-SS without modification. You can with a craft knife and about 10 minutes cut it to fit. As others have said you need to cut away some of the plastic around the studs. That is what I did and it works a treat and is as comfortable of more so than the Garmin. No warranty though as I have chopped it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars great alternative to Garmin Premium Heart Rate Strap, 2 May 2014
Mr. Iain Wood "woodi" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Do you have a Garmin Premium Heart Rate Strap, do you have fluctuating heart rate measurements showing on your HRM. Then chances are you need a new strap. This Polaris chest strap is virtually the same and compatible with the Garmin model, but at a fraction of the cost. Well made, comfortable, compatible and cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice strap., 8 Dec. 2013
I purchased this strap for use with my Garmin Edge 800 after having had 2 x Garmin Heart Rate (HR) Monitor chest straps each fail after about 18 months of heavy usage, and I did follow the care instructions regarding washing, the tightness of the strap and I used ECG gel between skin and pickups. After reading various forums I found that the Garmin HR pickup head will fit directly onto the Polar HR chest strap poppers and the general consensus is that the Polar strap is a superior item at a cheaper price. I have now used the Polar strap for a month - 500 miles on a bike - and I am very impressed. I find it more comfortable than the Garmin strap and if it lasts longer it must be better as it is far cheaper to replace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for anyone using a Garmin HRM, 20 May 2015
J. Andrews - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace the strap for my Garmin FR220 heart rate monitor. The Polar strap is compatible with the Garmin transmitters (both use press-studs to attach the transmitter to the strap). The Polar strap is reputed to provide a better signal and overcome the known Garmin problems of spikes, excessively high HR records during the start of a workout, and susceptibility to wind effects (more relevant to cyclists than runners). You can find out more about this these issues on the excellent DCRainmaker website.

The Polar strap needs minor modification to work with a Garmin transmitter - just to trim about 1mm off the plastic collars around the press-studs on the strap. This will take you about 30s with a sharp knife. Once that's done you are good to go.

After a few runs, I can confirm that everything is true - the HR plots for my runs now omit the "Garmin Spike" of high HR during the first 5 minutes, and everything works perfectly. It has saved me from wasting money on a complete new strap & transmitter.

Polar Chest Strap Soft Strap