Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 September 2012
I really enjoy this album and have been playing it almost non-stop since buying it. It's a little different in style to some of their previous albums but no less moving or evocative. It's instantly recognizable as being Calexico and the music and vocals are still captivating.

The second disc is a live album which is also incredibly good. Some of the tracks included on that one are Black Heart, The News About William, Inspiracion, Two Silver Trees, Quattro & Crystal Frontier.
on 20 September 2012
Calexico have been departing from the Spaghetti Western sound of songs like 'Crystal frontier', not wishing to get too stuck with a particular sound. The mariachi horns and spanish guitars are still there but they take their epic wide-screen sound to a slightly different, more brooding, more atmospheric and, somehow, haunting level. It matches the quality of 'Feast of Wire' but is a very different beast; the musicianship is at a peak and if that isn't enough, there is a whole live album of their older material with strings, horns, the full works, in glorious quality. The vocals are outstanding throughout and the instrumental on the live album is not only epic and wide-screen but also technicolour. Stunning. The live album also has some wonderful variants of their more famous songs, including 'Crystal Frontier'. This new collection is fantastic value and its hard to imagine anyone being disappointed. If you've never heard of Calexico, try this, it'll be the best purchase you've made for a long time.
on 1 January 2013
Calexico are pretty much my favourite band and their last studio album 'Carried to Dust' is a truly great album. It would feature in my 'all time great top ten albums list'. So I was wondering how on earth they would follow it.
Maybe it was my inflated expectations, but I must admit that on first hearing I was a little disappointed with 'Algiers'. If you experience something similar my advice is 'stick with it'! After playing it two three times I can't wait to hear it again. For me the album gets stronger and stronger the more I hear it. It's right up there with Calexico's best work. No doubt the song 'Fortune Teller' will be mentioned by many - and rightfully so, it's a song of spine tingling beauty that is worthy of Dylan at his absolute peak. But the other songs come creeping up behind it gaining strength the more they are heard. Joey Burns appears to be gaining in confidence. His vocal performance on the album is stunning.

Just one addition. In my haste to hear the album I almost downloaded the MP3. I'm glad I didn't because the Cd version contains a bonus CD 'Spiritoso'. All Calexico fans must have this! It is a live performance with the band augmented by what sounds like a huge orchestra and brass section. The string arrangements are exquisite and the performances are inspired. Again, Joey Burn's vocal performance in front of such a massive band is powerful and mesmerising. Incredible.
on 20 July 2013
Calexico definitely deserve to be better known on this side of the Atlantic. Having been hooked on some of their previous tracks such as "El Picador" and "Roka", I purchased this album purely on the strength of knowing the unique and rich soundscapes their work always contains. Strangely enough, the fusion of Mariachi instrumentation with contemporary Western instrumentation produces a truly refreshing and inspiring series of soundscapes which often have a worldly and even, at times, an ethereal element to them.

Personal favourites from this album include the moody and emotive "Para", the melodic and jolly title track "Algiers" which evokes feelings of a distant land, and the smooth and emotive closing track "The Vanishing Mind", which is truly like someone playing on heartstrings.

This album has proved a fantastic purchase and I wish Calexico all the very best, and hope they continue to grow and thrive in the years to come. Fantastic artists with an extremely impressive range of tracks. Absolutely love them!
on 2 October 2012
This is my first calexico cd, I can only surmise from some of the 3 star reviews that I am in for a treat when I dig into their back catalogue. Anyway to Algiers, it is an excellent album with great depth, it carries the listener along and has superb multi layered tunes with insightful lyrics, how anybody could give this album less than 5 stars baffles me, like I said earlier I can only think that they have been spoiled by what came before Algiers, this is a top drawer album
on 17 February 2013
This an excellent album from Calexico and to my ears is the best they have done since Feast of Wire. The songs are all well crafted and are a mixture of genres which is what you get with Calexico. My favourites are Epic,Splitter,Fortune Teller and Para. If you going to buy i would recommend the version with the additional live CD which is excellent. I can vouch for how good they are live after seeing them last night.
on 4 May 2015
I came across this artist more or less by accident whilst searching a website in The States for possibly "obscure" trance records as one of his CDs featured in a European Top Ten CD Chart the website produce, so decided to give the guy's music a listening to. Found I really loved the clean, crisp sound so proceeded to buy this and 2 other albums. Quite obviously NOT trance, so probably won't be bragging to friends about this extremely "out of character" purchase! Not only is the music extremely relaxing, but in most cases, the lyrics are really great.

Once again, this is only my opinion and as music is extremely subjective, I don't expect everyone to like this. It's remains a pity that Amazon's "Samples" only last 30-seconds, so I'm pleased I found it on a site that gives you a full minute!
on 1 October 2012
I have kept an eye on Calexico for some time as they have produced some brilliant tracks ('the crooked rose and the briar', 'ballad of cable hogue', 'the ride', 'minas de cobre', 'stray', 'all the pretty horses') amongst a lot of dross. In my opinion I don't think they have created a truly great album, so I listened to this not really expecting much and I have to say it is quite brilliant and beautiful. I liked it so much I actually bought it!! The standout tracks for me are 'Epic', 'Fortune Teller', 'Para', 'Maybe on Monday', 'Better and Better', 'Hush, 'The Vanishing Mind'. It bypasses the brain and goes straight to your soul.
on 28 November 2014
Calexico are an Indie/Folk band from Tucson, Arizona, who with "Algiers" present their seventh full length album.

For the bands die hard fans, it's considered to be up there with their best work to date.
Whilst recording the album, they stayed in a suburb of New Orleans called Algiers, from which it was given it's title. Immersing themselves in it's vibrant atmosphere, they gained valuable inspiration that lent itself to this excellent recording.
As a result, the record is a meld of styles ranging from soft blues to gentle rock. A coherent and harmonious set of songs throughout.
on 8 October 2012
Wasn't sure what to expect from this one given the references to garden ruin and some 3 star reviews. So people have different taste. For me it's up there with their best work - perhaps a bit less cinematic and more concerned with individual songs than most of their albums. Don't really get the reference to garden ruin - maybe not their best album but with its moments. Excellent second CD as well if you buy the deluxe version containing orchestral arrangements of some of the album tracks and earlier songs.