Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 14 July 2012
It's been years since I've felt motivated to review an album, but this is simply so good I feel obliged to put finger to keyboard. I have all hot chips albums but, despite this, wouldn't describe myself as devoted fan. This is simply because with their previous albums there has always been too much average surrounding a handful of standout tracks. In our heads is the album I did not think Hot Chip were capable of making, Consistently stunning. My favourites are Flutes; Ends Of The Earth; Motion Sickness; These Chains; Let Me Be Him... I could keep going.

Don't Hesitate.
on 19 September 2012
Bought 'One Life Stand'when it came out and thought it was great,but this new album is something else.Catchy,intricate synth beats form the back drop for music that will not leave your head,the fragile but spot on lyrics make it human.
Have seen the band a couple of times and the sound reproduction is perfect,do not ignore this record or band,they are about to take over the world!
on 5 August 2012
Rarely does a band put out an album with no duff tracks! This album seems a bit lighter and more dance focused than previous - it's easy to listen to, but not in a predictable way. The balance seems to be just right with gorgeous, catchy tunes, lyrics that make you smile (do I look like a rapper?) or think, and beats that make it difficult to stay still on public transport. As I say all the tracks deserve their place on the album but I particularly rate Flutes for its generous run time and juicy helping of nostalgia.
Highly recommended.
on 24 August 2012
Review: In Our Heads, HOT CHIP

Holy sheep! This album is helluv a sonic and lyrical treat not only for die-hard chippers, but also for those coming new to the band. Firstly, to really appreciate what the boys are up to, purchase the best hi fi system you can-include a decent pair of cans too for those times when you might have a Camberwell Carrot to hand. It is also quite important for the first couple of times to listen to the work in the order of its creation before you hit the shuffle button or program your tracks. You see, IOH is a journey, or if you will, a roller coaster ride that makes the most sense with the trail firmly fixed.
The opener, Motion Sickness was conceived surely with a Hollywood Bowl or MSG performance in mind. I can only imagine the crowd going ballistic when the syn-horns blast their way into the auditorium and thence up and away to the stars. Well, perhaps a bit of hyperbole but not excessively so.

Track two is the funky How do you do? Which makes one think that Alexis and Joe might have Afro antecedents--which of course they do; we all do. Yep, it's funky all right.
Don't Deny Your Heart comes next which has three (at least) different sections, all of which are great and ends with a spectacular percussion jam.

At four we have the wonderful, gentle and life-affirming Look At Where We Are. Listen yourself.

These Chains is another chance to swa' and dance to in your PJs or what-have-you.
At the half way now and Night and Day (probably the most commercial tune on here and great for the youngsters--in Aye Napa or Annapolis or Algiers, it don't matter. It's also where we find the neologism: swa'.

Flutes. Well, what to say about this? I'm reminded of John Cale's verdict on Venus in Furs: there was no tune like that before or since. The same with this one with its Buddhist chants and crowd noise sampled for the first minute and half (great for the chaps and chappette on stage to get a bit of a breather) then into the remaining five odd minutes of mind-blowing dance-floor euphoria. It would make the most melancholic person elated, or, as George Carlin might say: `more than happy'.

Now There Is Nothing follows, and since Flutes is such a hard act to follow, is somewhat of a disappointment, but hey, the listener needs a breather too and I'm pretty sure this one is grower.

Ends of the Earth is not bad--which in HC territory, is pretty damn good.

We now come to the penultimate track which is, to my mind, up there with the very best that HC have given us over the last ten years(!) with the added bonus of having a join-in refrain of OH-OH-OH-OHs popping up a couple of times and the priceless line: Work hard; play hard at work. Lend me your ideas--but not too fully formed. Sheer genius.

The journey ends (or with your remote, begins) with Always Been Your Love. One for anniversaries, intimate dinner parties and such good times. Personally, I can't wait for album six. Perhaps they'll call it Out of Our Heads.

If you found this review helpul (or indeed, repellent) consider visiting our feed the seed organization occr.org
abidingly,
rev doyle aka abu...
on 18 February 2013
Having not heard much material by Hot Chip prior to this release, I wasn't sure of what to expect - how could I have been so blind. This is a wonderful album, full of catchy lyrics and great music. For me it tails off in the latter half as the album draws to a close, but 'In Our Heads' is definately one of the best albums from 2012. A pleasant suprise from a band that I had up to now took little notice of!
on 24 August 2012
I've never bought a hot chip album before but have liked the singles I'd heard. I was persuaded by the reviews to give this album a go and I'm glad I did. I listened to it several times initially on a long trip to the southwest and it made the journey considerably more fun!!! I'm not going to go through the album track by track, all I've got to say is if you are considering buying it I would recommend you do. It's a very good album and consistently good throughout, I now intend to buy previous hot chip albums which is a recommendation in itself!!!!
on 13 October 2012
Great talented band, bringing the fusion of a subtle, yet modern sounding techniques along with great musicians, simply makes for a some great quality music.

Seen then live 11 Oct at the o2 Academy and they were exceptional. Superb performers and great tracks. This new album is one to go for, from start to finish is billiant......
on 16 June 2012
Surely the best effort yet from Hot Chip. It's got a wonderful retro feeling but with up to date sounds. The melodies are their best yet and I am already looking forward to their live performance. Best songs for me are Motion Sickness and Flutes; I am not too fond of Now there is nothing. All in all highly recommendable and a clear candidate for album of 2012.
on 12 June 2015
Fantastic disc, highly recommended. Quite complex music bound up in compulsive electro beats. The only track I don’t really like is ‘Night and Day’, which I think was a single (if that terminology still holds), so that might explain its rather crass lyrics and treatment. The three following tracks are all masterpieces of the genre; ‘Flutes’ (hypnotic, upbeat), ‘Now there is nothing’ (introspective, melodic and seems to use a dog bark as percussion- can that be right?) and ‘Ends of the Earth’ (complex musical themes with a riff that sticks in your cranium). But hold on… high pitched vocals (cf Jon Anderson), impenetrable lyrics (ditto), counterpointed riffs... are HC turning into prog rockers? Come on lads, do you have a concept double album in you? Go for it!
on 20 May 2013
To be honest after their last album 'One Life Stand' I was expecting a more commercial type fill in offering, however I was pleasantly surprised! I feel this time the guys have struck a fine balance between the innovation found in their first two albums entitled `Coming on Strong' and `The Warning' with the more commercial contributions of their later stuff whilst introducing some refreshing new instrumentals.
Congratulations to the guys for accomplishing four interesting albums and this one that stands out as classic in its own right, truly a must buy for Hot Chip fans and newcomers alike!
On another note, again the recording quality of this album along with previous Hot Chip offerings is excellent and will utilise any good hifi :)