5.0 out of 5 stars Pinocchio, Blu-Ray
`Pinocchio' is a childhood favourite of many and one I particularly remember loving as child. It was bought for me recently as a present and I was immediately impressed at the quality of the animation; you tend not to notice these things as a kid! I am usually quite dismissive of Disney films for a variety of reasons but say what you will about them, the early films were...
Published on 29 Jan 2010 by Spider Monkey

3.0 out of 5 stars This was quite boring, actually.
Old lonely Geppetto builds a marionette or puppet, Pinocchio, and wishes on the Evening Star that he had a real boy. The star, which is really a fairy, hears his wish and grants the public life however, it is still made of wood. It must prove itself worthy to become a real boy. Because Pinocchio was made of wood, he does not have an internal conscience and is assigned...
Published on 11 April 2010 by bernie

‹ Previous | 114 15 1622 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent video. Disappointed for not having italian language, 20 Aug 2014
Excellent video.
Disappointed for not having italian language.

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, 11 Aug 2014
great value, good quality, prompt serve, would use them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 18 July 2014
Very good value with a quick despatch from a reliable seller

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Aug 2014
C. A. Russell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinocchio [DVD] (DVD)
Bought as a present so cannot comment - they loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinocchio - a walt disney legend, 22 May 2009
I got this DVD more for me than my daughter who is 5.

I used to watch it when I was a little girl and when I seen it on your website and the excellent value for money, I simply had to have it.

Me and my daughter had a bit of a girly night and watched it. I loved it, she loved it - it's her favourite DVD now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful animated story., 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Pinocchio [DVD] (DVD)
Another Disney 'Classic' that deserves its 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not Play on US BD Players, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pinocchio [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Specification unclear on what region this disc is. Purchased Toy Story set and Harry Potter with no issue for US player

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 9 Aug 2013
Another disney classic, I loved this film as a child and now my children love watching it. Very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinocchio DVD, 3 Dec 2010
Very lovely film, another Disney film to my collection! Gave all of my Disney videos away to a charity shop a few years ago because there wasn't any room in my room at that point because we had just moved in. STUPID IDEA! Wish I had never done it, and now trying to get them all back again on DVD =] slowly...

5.0 out of 5 stars Heigh-Diddly-Dee, A Blu-Ray life for me, 3 Dec 2009
Having slightly suffered in watching Disney classics such as "Cinderella" and "Sleeping Beauty" with my daughter because of the extremely slack story-telling tempo, I wasn't sure what I would think re-encountering this 70 year old film some 30 years or more after my first viewing of it. The film is a delight from start to finish, never boring, and no sense of the film being padded out to cinematic length due to insufficient material. "Pinocchio" is maybe not as slick and contemporary in feel as Pixar films but it is very entertaining for young and old and has not dated badly at all.

The picture quality is superb, with excellent colours, contrasts and sharpness, but do not expect the sense of three-dimensionality and depth associated with today's animated films on BD. The soundtrack has been reworked from the original mono to a 7.1 HD soundtrack, it is more than respectable for its age (much better than "Snow White") but, again, do not expect surround trickery as in "Monsters Inc" or the sonic force of "Horton Hears a Who".

A very good bonus here is that Disney have included a DVD version, perfect for those of us with portable DVD players to entertain the kids away from home.

Some reviewers have rightly praised the presentation of the film in its original aspect ratio of 4:3. But owners of widescreen TVs who are haters of black bars need to realise that this means that the film will be 'pillar-boxed' i.e. presented with vertical black bars left and right. This is much more distracting than the horizontal bars and takes some getting used to. There is of course no alternative to this, other than allowing your TV or Blu-Ray player to falsify the format by stretching and distorting the picture (an option on the disc itself too), but I think potential buyers need to know this in advance to avoid disappointment.

That technical footnote aside, a truly wonderful film looking and sounding its best makes for a clear recommendation!

‹ Previous | 114 15 1622 | Next ›