5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent charger (but read on if you're having problems)
Published 10 months ago by A Stares

1.0 out of 5 stars Fail !
Worked for half an hour then just stopped, never worked again. Returned it and still waiting for my refund. It seems to be a good idea when it actually works.
Published 7 months ago by AAM

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent charger (but read on if you're having problems), 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: PowerGen Dual USB 4.2A 20W Car Charger for Apple iPad Air, mini, iPhone 5S 5 4S 4 3Gs, Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3; Note 3 2; Tab 3; HTC One (M8) Google Nexus and more [Designed for Apple and Android Devices] (USB Cable NOT included) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This charger is well made, looks quite snazzy and works very well indeed. It fits perfectly in my cigar lighter socket, which is a bit shallow and caused my old charger to regularly fall out. This one is a nice snug fit. Only tested so far on my Samsung phone but I'm sure it will work for anything else. The red LED is very subtle, something I appreciate when driving at night.

If you're having problems charging your phone then read on.
This was the second car charger I had ordered recently. The first was a Belkin - Micro Car Charger adapter 2100 mAh + ChargeSync cable for iPhone/iPod/iPad (F8Z689cw). This didn't appear to supply enough charge to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and so ordered this PowerGen version. This seemed to have the same problem so running SatNav on my phone meant arriving at my destination with less battery than when I started. I was mystified and a bit disillusioned by these so called high current chargers until I stumbled upon the real culprit - the blooming cable!!! Turns out all but 2 of the many sync cables I own weren't able to supply the current needed to keep the phone charging. The original Samsung cable worked, also a very chunky flat cable I had did too, but all the others, including some other genuine Samsung cables didn't. I was amazed at discovering this fact, thought all these USB cables were basically the same. Seems like if you have a power hungry device you need something a bit chunkier to carry the current. So if you're having problems getting these chargers to supply enough juice, don't bin it, just try a different cable. Hope this helps.
P.S. Ordered VEO - Heavy duty MICRO USB DATA CABLE FOR BLACKBERRY SAMSUNG NOKIA HTC SONY ERICSSON - 1M black and can confirm this cable works well and is well made. They also make Apple versions too. K Bye x

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on charger, 20 Nov 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
The Powergen Dual port car charger fits into your car cigarette lighter socket and enables you to charge your electronic devices whilst on the go.

There are two ports available marked up as N/A and A. The A port is specifically for Apple products such as ipad/pod and iphones. The port marked N/A is designated for all other compatible devices. The only device mentioned in the leaflet provided that cannot be charged is the Asus Transformer. There is no cable supplied with this charger so you must use the one supplied with your electronic device.

The charger fits nicely into the charging socket and feels solid enough with a good build quality and doesn't stick out too much in my opinion. When active there is a red light emitted from the charger ports so you can see it's active. Delivering 3.1 Amps this is ideal for the fast charging of your power hungry devices such as ipad, Kindle Fire and tablet devices. There is a fuse inside the charger which can be removed/changed just by unscrewing the end off and it will pop out. Simple enough.

The devices I tried it on were-

Kindle touch-Worked on both ports.
Kindle Fire- Worked on both ports.
Apple ipad- Only in the A port.
HTC Desire HD- In N/A port
Sansa Clip mp3 player- In N/A port.

After using this for a few weeks I've found that the charger performed well using the devices mentioned and they were charged quickly enough even when two were charging simultaneously. Obviously when charging two devices they may take longer to fully charge than when being charged alone.

Great little charger, no complaints.

I was supplied this for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to the people..., 14 Mar 2013
I'm going to get this out of the way; this product is fantastic.

I bought this for use in-car (unsurprisingly) to charge my Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy S3. To put it through its paces, I set up the Nexus with Sygic (GPS navigation) on the highest performance setting. On plugin, battery rated 27% remaining. After a 25 minute drive, battery was at 40%.

That's an increase of 13% in 25 minutes while the unit was under heavy load.

That to me is simply incredible; I'm used to leaving the Nexus plugged in through USB and from 20 odd percent taking a good 7 hours to charge fully and that's without being under load.

I can't fault this at all and would really recommend, especially if you need to charge two devices at the same time. The NA port worked for the Nexus 7 no problem at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast charger for iPads; some compatibility problems on the second USB port, 19 Sep 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The good news is that this charger (which I had supplied to me for review) charges iPads pretty fast. It's capable of delivering 3 Amps through either of the two USB ports (or 3 Amps split between them if you plug in two devices). However, while one of the ports (the "A" for Apple port) was able to charge any device I tried (including a Motorola phone, an iPad, an iPhone and a Walkman), the "NA" (for non-Apple, ie. standard USB) port wasn't able to charge the Motorola phone or the Walkman (it charged the iPhone, and it powered but didn't charge the iPad). I may have been unlucky with the choice of devices I tried to charge; in any case, it's worth reiterating that they all charged on the "A" port.

The design is a little busier than the other Powergen charger (PowerGen Power-U Dual USB 2A Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger for HTC Sensation, Flyer, Thunderbolt, Desire Z S HD / Samsung Galaxy S2 S II Ace / Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC), but it's well-built and compact. There is a 3 Amp fuse inside the barrel; you're unlikely to ever need to change it. The barrel fits securely in the accessory port; when the device is powered, a small red LED glows. No USB cables are supplied: you can use the cables that came with your device.

I would recommend this as a fast charger specifically for an iPad. For the devices I happen to have, the other Powergen adapter has better compatibility.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read before you buy., 17 July 2013
Charges my iPad while it is being used unless the 3G is on and the Navionics navigation tool is running. Power management is achieved by closing the cover otherwise the charger cannot keep up.
None of the other 12volt chargers come even close to achieving this output so this one is the best so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Jan 2014
Brilliant. At least I can have my sat nav and mobile on charge at the same time when driving the car

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed charger, 26 Oct 2012
This charger works fine with my smartphone, kindle and nexus 7. It stays inside the 12V socket without falling out even when upside down. The charging LED has a sensible brightness level so it won't distract you at night. I have bought 2 chargers before this one which were rubbish. Who designed this charger actually made an effort to produce a good product. 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate charger, 24 Jan 2014
Primarily bought to charge my Kindle but haven't as yet found anything it's not capable of charging (four different phones, two different tablets, two different kindles and my cycle light battery pack !!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dual charging success, 17 Oct 2013
I bought this item so I could power/charge two devices while driving a truck at work. I make use of a dashcam and use my Android phone as a GPS, so needed a way to power both simultaneously, and this adaptor provides USB power adequately. I've been using it for a couple of weeks without problem, and so far am satisfied with performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as I expected, highly recommended, 6 Oct 2013
To begin I have to say that I have become very anal about the charging speed of my Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300). I have had several issues with it so I have been in high demand of a quality product that delivers the maximum charging current for the device (1000mA) in the car as well.

I have had this product for about a month now and it works just as I expected it to. One cable I had (geniune Samsung) did not make a stable connection but the other one did. About a week ago I noticed I had a problem with my Micro USB Port of my S3, so I can not officially say that all cables work perfectly however I am now using my old phone (HTC Desire HD) and it works great with that one. It charges it from approx. 50% to full in about 60-90 minutes with GPS/3G/Bluetooth on and using Google Navigation with music streaming via BT.

I have not had the ability to charge an Apple device as I do not own one myself which made me feel like I could've purchased the Mediabridge 3.1A Dual-port car charger although this one is not sold through Amazon UK.

I would recommend people that buy this product to purchase a coiled Micro-USB cable if you don't already have one. I use it with a standard cable and it really annoys me when I have to shift gears. I purchased a Mediabridge one ([...]) through the American Amazon website after I saw someone else recommend this cable.