Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 9 January 2013
This was one of those books that was heartbreaker to read but hard to put down. As an account of a real crime the book was well written. As a true story you are shown the results of a sick human being and how difficult life is for the victims of horrendous crime. I hope that Colene Bush will find happiness in the future, but that will never make up for her terrible past.
on 27 August 2014
This was an amazing and shocking true story but was marred by the amount of mistakes through it, many of them very sloppy indeed which spoilt it. I do hope she'll revise all the errors and tidy it up. It doesn't seem respectful putting it out like this.......
Jody foster is spelt Jodie for starters and the dates were wrong in a couple of places stating it was April 6th 1981 when it was still the 5th. That was pretty careless, I thought. Then 1981 ended up written as 198 !!
The most common mistakes were words missed out of sentences. This was highly annoying-like was/of/the/a/to...............all the way through the book.There were also quite a lot of apostrophes misused, too.
Wherewithal was spelt as where-with-all, there was a random n in front of Monica's name in one place and a random fullstop put in front of Suddenly, driver was used in the same sentence twice needlessly and the same in another with him being repeated. This was a true gem-"Do theses photographs essentially depict...." as was a mention of Julie being found at 8.45pm when it was in the morning !! Later on Colene was spelt as Colleen twice which was pretty bad as well. WHY weren't these mistakes spotted ?
I had to admire Colene's sheer tenacity in managing to survive the horrendous attack on her. She totally saved her own life. I know I'd have probably been happier to curl up right where I was attacked. She was amazing. It upset me how her life turned out and the crappy breaks she had in life after such a promising start and of course the perpetrator was living it large in prison. It's so horribly unjust. I was shocked he was given permission to leave the courtroom at certain junctures because hearing his confessions upset him.....amazing. I did feel for him with the rotten life he had with his delightful mother Linda though that in no way gave him leeway to commit the atrocities he did.
I was never quite certain whether Julie had been raped as it didn't seem to be confirmed by what we were told. I'll need to Google Michael to see what happened to him as we weren't really told this, either.
I hope both James and Colene are doing OK now.....both their lives were irrevocably affected through no fault of their own which is terribly sad.
on 30 August 2014
Competently written account of a very nasty true crime committed against two young women in Albuquerque. Like other reviewers, I have great admiration for Colene's bravery in surviving the attack and tremendous sympathy for the way it affected her life afterwards.

Why only three stars? A few things: there are a number of proofing errors which should have been picked up, which have been noted elsewhere. I would also have liked some more analysis. The book raises lots of issues - about racism, about mental health, but these are not gone into in any depth. Having read to the end it's still not clear why Michael committed such a horrible violent crime against two women he didn't know. The court debated his sanity but found him sane. I would have been interested to know what the author thought.
on 29 December 2014
Harrowing story well told. Yes, there were a lot of errors and no, the racism and mental health issues were not addressed but it's a true story of her experience and it didn't detract from that.
on 27 August 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book . A serious page turner, what a terrifying thing to happen to two beautiful young survive against ALL odds is a miracle. Beautifully written thankyou.
on 9 September 2014
Everyone seemed to lose . What a society we live in where we penalise the victim and give rights to the Perpetrators. Very depressing that this was so recent. Keep going girl.
on 15 October 2014
What a story and how badly was the victim treated even 30 years later whilst the perpetrator seemed to get the best of the deal, for a while at least!
on 2 July 2015
Great read very detailed. As in a lot of cases that are cut and dried the innocent suffer,while the guilty are allowed to appeal again and again.
on 12 September 2014
Well written but shows the criminal gets better support than those affected including the grieving relatives
on 7 November 2014
Fascinating and harrowing story, but found the format distracting and not very easy to follow