5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for Icy Box or PC
Published on 4 April 2013 by Paul.F

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE - Dodgy Amazon business practices.
Amazon are trying to palm off used drives as new use the link below to check your drive and send it back if the warranty has started before the date of purchase.

Published 3 months ago by Sonic

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for Icy Box or PC, 4 April 2013
This review is from: WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue (Personal Computers)
Ordered this for use with an Icy Box IB-318StUS2-B. Had used a 500gb drive in the box before, but after building another PC I ended up with no spare drive. This WD Caviar Blue 1TB does the job, transfers 50gb in around 5 mins or less (video files) - great for backing up or storing music, films or TV programs to catch up on later, or anything else. All hard drives I have purchased in the last 3 years have been WD Caviar Blue, with no issues at all, so I highly recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for a second Drive for a Gaming Rig, That's what mine is used for, 5 July 2013
Does the job black WD HHD probably would of been best as there a little faster i believe but as this was cheap priced at £49.99 i couldn't really argue with that. My games run fine with it and most of my games are with steam so steam is installed on this drive so I'm happy with it but as people have already mentioned it will probably be my last HHD due to the SSD dropping slowly in price so i will invest in something like that in the near later future. But as for now my 120gb SSD for boot and programs and HHD for Games and larger programs.

A Note for new builders Remember to go through a New volume setup and then format the hard drive.
type this in the search bar diskmgmt.msc for windows 7 users probably same for windows 8 and other OS your see the drives in there and just right click on the new drive and your see what you got to do from there as stated above. Hope this helps non experienced people

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 27 July 2013
arrived quickly, easy to install, holds 1tb of data, has not exploded and killed my family. Until I've had it a few years can't speak to the reliability.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE - Dodgy Amazon business practices., 24 Mar. 2015

I gave Amazon the benefit of the doubt as a 2TB drive I got from them was fine. 3 times they tried to pass off a used drive as new.

Product review.
Have used these in the past as on storage or media systems. Good entry level drive that have always done the job and seemed cooler than counterparts. Would recommend just not from Amazon unless you want to take a crap shoot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good HDD... But beware the warranty and rogue traders, 29 April 2015
Firstly the drive itself. In my experience you'll nearly always get a slight hum / vibration when a HDD spins at anything over 5400rpm, as far as 7200rpm drives go, this is a quiet one. How your drive is attached to your chassis / case will have a big bearing on what reaches your ear.

The wake up times are very good when compared to a Caviar Green, so it's good for an everyday storage drive for say downloads etc as there's very little pause when waking after the drive been put to sleep to save power etc, say 1-2 seconds compared to say 6 with a Green. All in all, I definitely recommend this drive, especially for the price. Obviously the only thing that matches an SSD is an SSD but as far as transfer speeds go, I was getting around 120-130mb/sec sustained when moving large files across internal mechanical drives.

Now why only 3 stars? Well I went to register the drive and check the warranty. I'd had the drive about 2 days, ran the serial and it came back as having about 5 months remaining out of the 24 months you get with a new Blue drive! I queried this with Western Digital, they revealed what I already suspected... I had been sold a recertified drive. These are basically knackered drives that Western Digital then refurbish and put back out, usually for resellers to flog at a discounted rate. The fact they only give them 6 months warranty says allot. The fact that the seller puts them out as a new drive also says allot.

So the moral is, make sure when buying that your drive is DISPATCHED FROM AND SOLD BY AMAZON themselves and not a third party seller. Even if it's fulfilled by Amazon it can still be sold by a third party.

I returned the drive for a refund and purchased a new drive from Amazon themselves, this time with a full warranty. I have attached images showing the differences between the two drives. The most obvious being the difference in the stickers, the brand new drive has the Blue sticker, the recertified has a black sticker, but both have the same part number. There's also a shot of the faint 'Recertified' stamp that I missed when fitting (*face palm*) hopefully this review will help people avoid being fleeced by unscrupulous sellers charging the same for a refurbished unit with a dead warranty as a brand new unit with a 2 year warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital 1t internal hard drive, 7 Dec. 2013
I just want to inform people who may be like me and not computer 'savvy'.
I thought I would just connect the new hard drive inside my computer and then switch it on and the new drive would appear under 'my computer' Unfortunately, whilst it showed up in disk management, it didn't appear under 'my computer'. What I had to do was initialize it first then format it into NTFS files. Probably everybody who has wrote a review was aware of this but I didn't and this review is for people like me!!
It quite straight forward though, however I did read a good article on how to do it at 'pc supportabout .com'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Performance, 2 Dec. 2012
Rob (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
Hard to review a basic part of your computer. Upgraded storage from a WD 500Gb drive to this 1Tb version. Easily installed, worked well once installed with slightly improved performance from the previous drive no doubt due to larger cache. Would recommend the reliability I have experienced with WD drives.

5.0 out of 5 stars decent cheap drive, 18 May 2013
im using this as a boot drive in a budget build and it does a good job, you cant use a wd green as boot its too slow, but if you want better speeds go with a wd black or an ssd

5.0 out of 5 stars Drive Hard, 24 May 2013
Took a chance.
It arrived within a few days - perfectly wrapped, a box within a box all carefully padded.
Cloned W7 across to it in 20 minutes - no problems
CrystalDiskMark3 showed it was 5 times faster than my previous WD600GB drive
Started using it and it has given me a much more responsive PC, I love it!
It is near silent and access is so quick, files and apps load so quickly.
I won't need a new PC for at least a couple of years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, remember to purchase the wires too!, 22 Aug. 2013
I am not an IT wizkid but just to say that this product does exactly what it says. I am using it as a drive for all my games and so far, so good.

Just something to state, this may be common knowledge in the IT world (but to me it wasn't!) but it turns out you need to buy a SATA cable and something else, I forgot the name of, to hook this up in your machine. I am posting this as I think it may be useful for someone else, like myself, who did not realise this at the time of purchase as I assumed all the necessary wires would be supplied!!

WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue