4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bedtime read!
I first came across an extract of this book in a magazine, and thought it was worth reading. Normally magazines print the best bit of a book and the rest isn't worth reading. This book is very different! I read the entire novel in one night because I simply couldn't put it down. The romance, passion and, at times, comedy, will take your breath away.
Published on 8 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better
This romantic thriller has a gripping opening, with Catholic priest, Thommy Madden hearing the confessional of a psycopath who reveals that Maddens own sister will be his next victim. He calls on his best friend, FBI agent Nick Buchanan to protect his beautiful sister and as the pressure builds so does the attraction between the protector and his charge.
I couldn't...
Published on 16 Feb 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 16 Feb 2002
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Paperback)
I couldn't help being a little disappointed by this book. It starts off so well that you expect the suspence and the sexual tension between the two main characters to continue to build. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case. I got the feeling that Ms Garwood was continuouly reigning in the emotions and holding back on the romance, perhaps in the hope that it would make for greater suspence. However the plot lends itself to the building of sexual tension and Ms Garweood did us all a disservice in choosing to underdevelop this theme. (If you want to see how it should be done read Linda Howard's "Dream Man" or Susan Andersen's "Obsession")

There are definately some very nice moments, a fine array of secondary characters and pleasant touches of humour. In fact all the elements are there for a excellent romantic thriller, the 'boys will be boys' relationship between Jimmy and Nick, the insider view of an FBI operation, the heat generated by the central characters forced to live together in a high pressure situation as well as the disturbing inner voice of a madman on the 'hunt'. Yet the book never quite fulfills its potential. Some of the details are somewhat farfetched (I find it hard to believe that a an entire FBI department would be mobilized on the hearsay of one man, even if he did happen to be an agent's best friend and a priest), the 'red herring' thrown in was unconvincing, and it all came to somewhat jumbled and overly sentimental finish.
A good start, Ms Garwood's contemporary novels will definately be ones to look out for in future, even though this could have been better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bedtime read!, 8 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired opening chapter, 15 Sep 2001
The opening chapter itself is worthy of praise, though it does make it difficult for the author to live up to expectation after that. I rather thought she copped out of an interesting and intriguing dilema by the revelations of the following chapters. Ah well, you can't have everything I suppose. I feel obliged to give full marks, however, on account of such a splendid opening plus a bizarre sense of loyalty to Ms. Garwood who, whatever the faults of the book, if they are faults, is still excellent within the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Best, 4 Dec 2001
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Paperback)
I love Julie Garwood books and eagerly awaited Heartbreaker. I was really disappointed when I read it, she has left the historicals behind and gone contemporary, big mistake! I have always laughed and cried my way through a Garwood book but not this one.
It is quite boring really, the main characters do not grab you at all, you're really not bothered whether they get together or not.
If you want a really excellent read go for THE BRIDE a 5 star book.

4.0 out of 5 stars thumbs up, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Kindle Edition)
Slow start, great middle, awesome finish. I like her stuff anyway but first time I reading the modern cop books.

5.0 out of 5 stars shes done it gain, 7 Dec 2012
C. E. bateman (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Kindle Edition)
Julie Garwood has not dispointed me yet & heartbreaker was another great read that i couldn't put down.
i picked up Murder List while traveling in the states about 7 years ago for just something to read and couldn't put it down & thats where my love of her books started, and i'm still guess who done it right up to the end of ech book, def worth a read and you'll keep coming back to read them again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars heartbreaker, 4 Dec 2011
it was a lovely read i realy enjoy it i couldnt put it down till i finished it took me a day it was that good

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you guessing., 11 Oct 2004
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Paperback)
I thought this was a great suspense book. I did not buy it thinking it was a romance book.
I loved the fact that I could not work out who the killer was until the last chapter.
The main story is about Nick, an FBI agent, who goes to help his friend Father Madden protect his sister Laurant from a serial killer. There are other characters within this story that connect this book to Julie Garwoods's next book MERCY.(story about Nick's brother Theo)
I hope to read more about Nick's friend Noah.
This was a great read and I hope Julie keeps writing this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is : WOW!!!, 27 Mar 2005
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Paperback)
The first Julie Garwood book I have read - definately not the last. This book has it all. It grabs you from the very first page and doesn't let you go. A steamy suspense that gets your heart racing.
The characters are so good it makes you wonder what is everybody doing after the book ends. Ms Garwood made me feel what the heroin in the book feels "sorry for every woman who doesn't have Nick Buchanan as a lover"

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 29 Dec 2000
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Hardcover)
Julie Garwood is one of my favorite authors and I eagerly awaited her first book set in modern day. I felt that both Nick and Laurant's characters had HUGE potential, but ms Garwood didn't seem to develop them. The same about the plot. I feel that Ms Garwood kept getting bogged down with minor details and the larger story was lost. I don't see HOW Nick and Laurant fell in love! All their contact seemed so cold and distant........and only ONE sex scene!!! Although I must say that if Ms Garwood is thinking of making another story in modern day times......the character of Noah has tremendous potential!!

Heartbreaker