Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£17.99

on 31 August 2012
This book is addressed to programmers who are supposed to get better understainding of how to use SQL and SQLite in Android applications. You will read few interesting things here, however, if you are not aware of SQLite, if you have never developed Android applications, and you have never worked with Apache Tomcat and Servlets you will be lost. That's a fact. In my opionion this book is addressed to people who already know SQL, have developed for Android and want to combine both topics. There are few drawbacks in the book (at least from my point of view). First of all, introduction to SQL is to shallow. If you are not aware of SQL at all, it will not help you to understand the ods and end of SQL. Another thing that really cough my attention where programming practices that couldn't be called proper ones. First one is related to the upgrade of databases in mobile application. I know this is just an example, but implying that you can remove all the data during upgrade is not a good pattern to follow. Another thing are the helper classes for the SQL access. In my opinion, teaching people to put everything in one place is not quite didactic.

I think this is a good sign that book like this appears on the market. It tries to synthesise various areas: SQLite, Servlets, SQL, Java and Androind in one place, however it seems to be too short and too condense to give 100% satisfaction to readers.
on 17 August 2012
This book is a well written piece of literature although I would have expected the book to be a little more focused. Coming from a database background a lot of this information was things that apply to all SQL DB's. The sections that cover android programming are put together with a specific use in mind. This book will give you a good overview of the options available to you for android, but only an introduction to the details. The case studies do give you a good idea of when to use which storage option.
on 24 August 2012
I started to read Android Database Programming over the week-end.

My first impressions:

You absolutly need to have prior exposure to Android, Java and SQL before reading this book. This is not a beginner's book.

The book is clear and concise and written in a no nonsense style. Right in chapter one, we already dig into some code. Be ready to read code. I liked what I have read so far.
on 22 February 2013
This book is perfect if you know how to develop for Android but would like information on SQLite databases. It will only teach you the basics of SQLite and is not suitable if you want to create complex database systems.