Size: Standard HDMI (Type A) - 15CM|Change

on 30 November 2012
I got this to go with my son's Raspberry Pi. At first it didn't seem to work, but after some googling managed to get it to work by editing the /boot/config.txt file on the SD card. First try with the hdmi_safe=1 option, which should give low-res (VGA) output when booted. If that works it is a matter of turning off safe mode and finding the settings that work for you. I tried:
config_hdmi_boost=4
this worked after a reboot and gave full resolution on my old Samsung SyncMaster 172v. Haven't checked if all these options are needed.
So the product works with the Pi but you may need to experiment a bit to get it to work with your monitor.
88 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2013
This is a really cheap way of getting your Raspberry Pi to work with an old-school monitor. The seller was excellent - I struggled for a few days because my Acer AL1715 stayed in standby, even when the Pi was connected to it. I emailed the seller on Sunday evening and got a response on Monday morning with a list of settings for the config.txt that worked perfectly.

I think the important setting for me was:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

This forces video out from your R-Pi, whether it detects the HDMI monitor or not (the R-pi doesn't send out video unless it detects a monitor, as default, but the monitor wasn't switching on unless it detected input - a sort of Catch 22).

If you need more information about the video settings for the Rasperry Pi check out:

[...]

The full set of settings I used were as follows:

# Settings for Flatron VGA monitor
# 1024 * 768
# Force HDMI signal even if monitor not detected
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16

A very happy customer.
on 9 January 2013
As the other positive reviews suggest, we have it working with the latest Raspberry Pi (512MByte version B model).
Requires configuration before use.

To configure the video output from Raspberry Pi, you must change some settings using a text editor. For simplicity,
we recommend 'nano' as it is very easy to use. First, make a copy of the original settings should you need to restore them.

> cp /boot/config.txt /boot/config-old.txt

Then edit the file...

> nano /boot/config.txt

When it loads up, edit or uncomment (remove the hash character) of the following parameter:

hdmi_safe=1

This will force Raspberry Pi into a VGA output mode, which proves that the HDMI converter and monitor are working.

Restart your Raspberry Pi for the changes to take effect.

If successful, you can then make the following edits to increase the graphics resolution:

hdmi_safe=0 (or comment out the line with a hash)

disable_overscan=0 (or comment out the line with a hash)
hdmi_drive=2 (remove the hash)
config_hdmi_boost=4 (remove the hash)

To set the screen margins, uncomment the overscan top bottom left right parameters, changing them from 16 to 32.

Restart your Raspberry Pi for changes to take effect.

That's it - you're done!
on 13 May 2013
I'm new to the Rasberry Pi thing (my son having been given one for his birthday). I also don't have a lot of spare time (or inclination) to work out how to get stuff working that doesn't work straight out of the box. I'm pleased to say this is as easy to get working as other reviews suggest. I was dismayed initially at the prospect of not being able to use a perfectly good VGA monitor I had in the attic (why would I want to fork out 100 quid on a DVI monitor for a Pi that costs 30?) Other reviews helpfully provided details of the changes needed to the config file so I followed them and it worked. My biggest challenge (which says a lot about my level of expertise in this area) was working out how to open the config file in the Nano text editor that I downloaded to make the changes. Took me a while to work out that you need to use windows My Computer to locate the config file on the SD card, then select the file, right-click 'Open with' and browse to the folder where you stored the Nano text editor executable file. Then it was as simple as making the changes suggested using the text editor and putting the card in the Pi.

My advice: Don't be tempted to listen to those who say this doesn't work and end up buying an expensive converter or a new monitor. In my case anyway, this just required a few changes to the config file on the SD card - maybe I just got lucky with the monitor I had lying around.

I'm using a LG Flatron VGA monitior at 1024 * 768 resolution and the following worked for me so hopefully it's the same for any VGA monitor. As I understand it, the following tells the Pi to send a signal out of the HDMI socket regardless of whether it detects an HDMI monitor at the other end.

'Uncomment' (which means delete the # at the beginning of a row) the following rows and modify as follows:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16
on 16 November 2012
Up until recently hdmi to vga has been and expensive hit and miss task. Not any more it seems! This has an active chip in it which does the job perfectly. I have an old Infocus X1 projector which only has VGA/SVGA/Composite in. You can get other PS3 leads which fudge VGA out through the AV connector but are flaky. This lead/device works perfectly and outputs at 720p on my set-up (though higher seem to be covered). One thing I would say is that make sure you buy the audio out version (a few quid more) unless you absolutely do not need audio. This vendor was kind enough to upgrade me for free - great service, rock solid product.
on 23 October 2013
Very useful. But only the resolution is only VGA ( 640 x 480 ). This means you cannot achieve true HD.
on 8 October 2013
This works product works very well. Plug it into the HDMI output on the Laptop and the VGA cable for the projector and up comes the image. I'd recommend it to anyone that just has the HDMI output and needs to connect to a projector for meetings etc.
on 15 May 2013
Works nicely on R.Pi into PC projector. Self powered. Just read the instructions first about modifying the config.txt file with nano or your favourite terminal editor.
on 30 March 2015
Mine lasted only 2 months because although there are 15 wires in the cable NONE are soldered. There is only one tiny bit of solder on the outside of the HDMI socket, so that after a few times pulling out the plug it all falls apart. A waste of money.
on 23 July 2014
I decided to give my class a special end of year treat this year and run a Rock Band competition.

The only problem, How to connect my 360 to the classroom projector which only has VGA inputs. After lots of searching I found the product I needed but nearly everything on the market comes without the audio cable. I finally found this wire and purchased immediately.

In school this morning I set everything up and it works like a dream, nice clear image and good level of audio. This cable and the prompt service provided by the seller is going to make a class of 10 year olds very happy.