5.0 out of 5 stars Rlll with a difference
As a member of the Richard lll Society I am always a little wary of new works about the king - often very romantic & fanciful. So I found this one quite refreshing. Richard is depicted as a 'real' person on the historical stage, and also likeable without being too attractive - he has flaws which are all too evident. His relationship with Anne & his family/friends are...
Published on 7 Aug. 2012 by Julia

3.0 out of 5 stars King Richard III
This book has a good idea for the plot,and the writer has obviously done a great deal of research.
However the poor grammar and anachronisms are annoying.There were no pews in churches in hte middle ages, and people did not use a mixture of modern slang in their speech! One for poeple who don't mind glaring mistakes.But a good try, and an ingenious plot.
Published 23 months ago by Mrs. S. A. Charlewood

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual theory, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
The tale of Richard III is told well and the reader is left hanging until the end of the book to find out why Sir Thomas More is telling it to Hans Holbein. Yet another theory about the Princes in the Tower! However, in the Kindle edition the editing seems to be somewhat poor - the misuse of "loose" for "lose" and "starred" for "stared" occurs throughout the book, bringing the reader up short, and I am not sure that all the historical details are thoroughly researched (I believe that it was Henry VIII who was the first king to be addressed as "Your Majesty"). I would add that the theory of the fate of the Princes in the Tower seems somewhat superfluous to the main tale about Richard himself and the supposition that such a busy person as Sir Thomas More would spend an entire day recounting the tale to the artist is rather far-fetched.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon : published or self published?, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Paperback)
Was this book self published? I have no problem with books of this kind, but Amazon does not appear to differentiate between properly edited and professionally reviewed books which have been selected by reputable publishers and have therefor passed their high standards. I think this is necessary as it was an unwelcome surprise, after reading an author of the standard of Phillippa Gregory, to encounter this book. I will be extremely careful in future when ordering books from Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Richard III, 25 Aug. 2013
Dido Wilson (Staines, Middlesex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
I thought this an interesting but so badly written as to be very irritating to read, and I couldn't finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Dec. 2014
good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyal to the Man, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
Knowing Thomas More was in this book made me approach it with a bit of trepidation - but having read a description of the story - it got me intrigued.
I know very little about Holbein apart from some of what he painted, and the Tudors are far from my favourite novel subjects - but with this being interwoven with Richards story - I just had to read it. Being female - and a staunch Ricardian - I will unashamedly admit to veering on the more romantic versions of Richard that are depicted in many novels. However, this was a very likeable version Richard - portraying him as a man with faults and flaws - which he undoubtedly had.
Having read it - and not being able to put it down at all over the last few pages - I just had to read Honour - Matts next book continuing the tale. I suggest you do too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not riveting, 22 April 2013
Mr. Graham M. Payne (Somerset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
It drags far too much in the middle and needs more action

Too slow and plodding but we'll written ....could do beter

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and flawed, 14 Nov. 2013
Christopher Ward "Bretwalda" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
I bought this as it was cheap and I am a lifelong Ricardian of the non-certifiable persuasion. If you do not know the story then this book might be of interest, but otherwise it's not worth it. There are sevaral typos e.g piece of mind for peace of mind, and other errors such as the repeated reference to the Bishop of Rotherham (sic). The person in question is of course Thonas Rotherham Lord Chancellor but most certainly not the bishop of Rotherham! As the author is a historian I would not have expected such sloppiness from him; I suspect it's sloppy proof reading.

I also found the premise a little flawed. Without spoiling the plot, how could Thomas More have known in such detail what was actually said 50 years before. The use of direct speech is a device that did nothing fof the book's cedibility for me. On a minor point too I was always led to believe that it was Henry VIII who introduced the practice of being addressed as your majesty. It is fascinating to know that primary sources for the period use the title and that in fact it dates back to Richard II. (Thanks to Matt for pointing thus out).

I don't like giving poor reviews but on this occasion, to be fair to other books on the subject I have to. There are better novels out there about Richard III but none of them are a substitute for the real history which is exciting enough in itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected...., 9 Nov. 2012
L. Andersson (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
When I began reading I had other expectations, so i found it a bit dull. The begining and the end of the story is about Thomas More telling Hans Holbein what really happend with the two princes in the Tower - or what happend with the younger one, Richard. More commissions a family portrait and wants Holbein to put signs in the picture that reveals the true identity of his son-in-law, who happens to be the son of the younger prince.

I was hopping to get more information about the picture, having read about all these signs/symbols. Unfortunately the story about the picture is just a frame to tell a story about Richard III and how good he was. The story draged on but at the end I really started to like both the writing and Richard. Thelove and loss of both his son and wife in a short time was really well presented.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in Richard III and I'm glad I read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vanity Publishing?, 23 May 2013
Amazon Customer "Imelda" (a village in Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty (Paperback)
This books gives the impression of being published privately.

I am sure the author knows his subject and is passionate about it but it does not read as anything other than an attempt as an historic novel

Good effort but sorry, not good enough for me - I didn't get past the first few pages

5.0 out of 5 stars very good read, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
accurate with latest historical findings and keeps you guessing. i don't want to say any more but you put this silly word count on

Loyalty