1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fair night's read ..., 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Fair Day's Work (Kindle Edition)
... for the high price paid. This is an absolute stinker of a book when compared to Monsarrat's masterpiece, "The Cruel Sea", and the price charged is exorbitant for 92 pages.

The book is an open, blatant preaching about the "reds under the bed" which haunted the British shipping industry of the 1960s - and Harold Wilson too! I lived through those times and had some maritime connections and even though I am absolutely of the same mindset as Monsarrat probably was, the book is so absolutely overboard that it becomes a parody of the subject.

I bought it because I am currently in the middle of a sea related reading spell and when browsing through Amazon late at night I decided to finally buy this Kindle book which I'd been watching for some time. If I can pilot others away from it I shall have done my duty of saving souls from unexpected financial peril. :-)
Try it from your library if you can find it there or buy one of those 01p used copies.

At the same time, many other works of Monsarrat are of the highest quality and alongside "The Cruel Sea" stand other sea tales which have stood the test of time such as "Three Corvettes" and "HMS Marlborough Will Enter Harbour".

A great author who stumbled with this book.

A Fair Day's Work