1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars ANKERMANN GTX 680 Husky i7 Quadcore 3.5Ghz bought 02.07.13, 9 July 2013
Mr. D. A. Hemingray "Daz" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is for the ANKERMANN GTX 680 Husky i7 Quadcore 3.5Ghz, 16BG RAM, Coolermaster 650W PSU, purchased on 02.07.13 and paid 1,288 GBP

I wish there was a scoring mechanism in place on Amazaon that enabled you to score against different aspects of a purchase. I know this review is essentially about the product, but it should also be about the whole experience from when you clicked on an item to purchase, all the way until you actually start using said product.

Anyway, I'll do my utmost to be as honest as I possibly can be. I'll split my review by chunks from delivery to using the product and everything else in between.

Here goes....

Firstly, I wanted a machine to play games. That was my main objective, so I based my purchase based on processor speed and the graphics card. I did research on both of these aspects of the PC and used a benchmarking site to look at how they performed as separate entities.

PROCESSOR: The i7-3770k processor is up there with the best for its price. Yes there are newer processors on the market now, but aren't really ready available when purchasing a complete unit from one of the Amazon marketplace suppliers, so I tried to get the best that was available to me at the time as I wasn’t really interested in building a PC from scratch. The processor's very quick and the system boots up in around 10 seconds from turn on. Although I've not fully put the machine through its paces yet, applications, when launched, appear in an instant without thought. It's like Alt-tabbing between apps it is that quick. If I said an app loads in one second, I would not be exaggerating.

GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB GDDR5. This card really has some firepower. Again, as I’ve only had the unit since Friday (5th July 2013) I haven’t put it through its paces. I installed and played WoW on “ULTRA” with maximum frame rates, the card never missed a beat and no lag when turning etc. I know WoW’s not really a benchmark, but I’ve only had the system 3 days and not been able to go on it much or install a more graphics hungry game. When I do I will update this post with performance and frame rates, resolution etc. etc.

**PLEASE NOTE: There is no internal hard drive with this machine, only the 120gb Samsung SSD drive, so you also need to order another hard drive, or choose a different machine if you don’t want to have the hassle of installing and formatting one yourself, although the drive will come with instructions etc. This was an oversight on my part at the time as I was looking at about 6 machines to choose from and thought this had a 2bg hard drive.

DELIVERY: I ordered the machine in the afternoon of Tuesday 2nd July and it was delivered on Friday the 5th July, from Germany. I was very impressed with that.

When you open the box you get the Motherboard and graphics card retail boxes which I was impressed with cause if I change my GFX card in the future I could sell in on completely boxed up with all the literature that comes with it.

The base unit was the other box in the large box that was sent from Germany. The items were well packaged with all the “CAUTION” tape making people aware to handle the box gently. There were polystyrene pieces inside the large box that packed all around the contents. When I removed the boxes it was 3 quarters full of the stuff.

So, I opened the base unit box and brought out the desktop. It was all intact and not a mark on it, which you expect. I noticed the graphics card box still had the GFX card in it. You have to install the card yourself. As I am quite a technical person when it comes to building a PC I wasn’t at all perturbed at this. However, if you don’t really know what you’re doing this may be a little bit scary. However, I installed the GFX card with no effort. ANKERMANN leave the back plates off the base unit so you know exactly where to put the card, so don’t worry. Not just that, but they also include an installation guide in English, which I found after I’d installed it.

The reason that they don’t install the GFX card before despatch is because they’ve had complaints that the card and motherboard, in some cases have been damaged in transit when they’d sent machines out ready to use.

I linked my PC up to my new 24” LG LED monitor (also bough from Amazon) and booted up the machine. To my horror I found they’d installed Windows 7 Pro in German, so I had to re-install the operating system as I couldn’t see where I could change the language to English (I cannot speak German you see!!).

However, the original CD is provided with your Windows 7 Pro Key so this wasn’t a problem. All you need to do is insert the DVD and re-install in English, it doesn’t take too long.

I had problems when trying to update the Windows 7 updates as it kept circling in a loop. I’d shut down, download updates but then Windows wouldn’t install them. I’d shut down again and it would still say 102 downloads. I had to get a fix from Microsoft website, which worked. This wasn’t ANKERMANN’s fault at all.

In addition, I also had to install the motherboard drivers myself (disk provided) as when I went in to device manager there were a lot of components that were missing drivers.

I would have scored the machine lower if I was to give it an all round score because of the Windows 7 install in German and the fact that the motherboard drivers had not been installed along with the graphics card and lack of internal hard drive. However, being a little bit of a techy I can ignore this, but someone else may find this stressful.

I would recommend this machine to people if you are an experienced PC user, or you know someone that is. If you’re not, I would still recommend but you need to make sure you do your homework on how to install a GFX card, internal hard drive and Windows 7 if yours happens to be in German too…….

All in all though, very happy!