5.0 out of 5 stars As ever, an excellent read.
'Single Shot' by Ron Ellis
Published by Allison & Busby: ISBN: 0-74900-569-6
Published on 26 May 2003 by Ms. E. Hayes

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Educational
Well it taught me a lesson!

Published on 24 Jan 2011 by Glorious Fool

5.0 out of 5 stars As ever, an excellent read., 26 May 2003
Ms. E. Hayes (Leicestershie) - See all my reviews
'Single Shot' by Ron Ellis
Published by Allison & Busby: ISBN: 0-74900-569-6
When a luscious Spanish lady Gabrielle Lorenzo calls at the offices of Ace Investigations with a tale of industrial espionage concerning top-secret tests of a new drug, Johnny Ace is intrigued, not only because of Gabrielle's obvious attractions, but business is going through a slack period. Gabrielle is from El Greco Detection in Alicante. Working undercover she has located the leak and traced it to Liverpool. She wants Ace Investigations to infiltrate the recipient company Derek Routlege Pharmaceuticals.
"Could be a nice money-spinner, this" said Jim, Johnny's partner "Corporate clients, that's the market we ought to be aiming at Johnny. I Like it". Certainly a bit classier than our other case admits Johnny. Their other case is guarding twice-married, middle-aged, overweight, Dorothy Grove, who is convinced that she is being stalked by someone from the local singles club. Set for a boring evening both Johnny and Jim attend the singles evening , and assure Dorothy Grove that they will be right behind her when she leaves, but things take an unexpected turn and Dorothy Grove is killed by a single shot to the head.
In true fashion from having no cases it looks like Ace investigation is suddenly in demand, when Mike Bennett Ex DI with the Merseyside police, asks them to help him find the real killer of Selina Stark who was shot some twelve months previous, also by a single shot to the head. Note I said 'real' killer since the chap currently in jail for the deed is pparently a stand-in.
Whilst trying to figure out why anyone would want to murder Dorothy, Johnny fronts up at Derek Routlege Pharmaceuticals on the pretext of doing a radio program on their work. Here he meets the four suspects, the researchers, Dr Heather Schneider, James Scanlon , Leroy Holden and beautiful petite Alison Whyte. (where have I heard that name before?)
On the home front, his life continues to be complicated. Maria and daughter taking up so much of his free time that he is finding it harder and harder to get away to spend time with long time girlfriend Hillary. I would like to feel sorry for him but.......
As ever, an excellent read. I find Ron's books very satisfying in that I am given a couple of intriguing scenarios to grapple with and the comforting knowledge that the solutions will be skilfully revealed at the end. This is his best to date and highly
recommended.
-----
Lizzie Hayes
Earlier books in the series are Ears of the City, Mean Streets, Framer, The Singing Dead and Grave Mistake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace Book, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Single Shot (The Johnny Ace crime novels Book 6) (Kindle Edition)
Ron Ellis shoots to kill again. Riveting story, couldn't put it down

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Educational, 24 Jan 2011
Well it taught me a lesson!

I bought this book second hand from our local library and I know why they were 'letting it go'. I only paid a few pence for it, so can't complain, but I'll never get the time back that I spent reading it. However, I now know not to waste time reading any more of the exploits of Johnny Ace. It gave me a few laughs, but in the main it read like a cross between an A-Z of Merseyside and a down market Egon Ronay guide (too much detail about roads travelled and meals eaten).

I can see why people enjoy Ron Ellis's writing. It's an easy read, mostly light hearted and full of 'facts' about Liverpool, but they get tedious after a while. I know that you have to suspend belief when reading this kind of fiction, but this book expected too much from me on that front. I will not write Ron Ellis off completely, if I see another of his books going cheap (and it's about another character), I'll be prepared it give it a go.

But no more Johnny Ace for me!