4.0 out of 5 stars Capitaviting Read
Published on 9 Sept. 2012 by Paulette Mahurin

2.0 out of 5 stars Main characters need more depth
This could have been good story but I gave up third of way through. Author needs to build more background or personality into his main characters as by that stage if they still feel like strangers to me I lose interest. Otherwise well written and researched.
Published 24 months ago by Alan

4.0 out of 5 stars Capitaviting Read, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Kindle Edition)
David LeRoy's The Siren of Paris, was a surprising read. I started it with no expectation other than an interest in the time period in which it was written and the geography, WWII Germany Nazi Regime, a historical dark stain , that stands out among a societal evil ranked high up. On this backdrop comes the story, of Marc an American, born in Paris, who returns to his birthplace to study and falls in love with a model, Marie, from one of this art classes. The story flips around between
viewpoints, of various of Marc's acquaintances, and also flips around in time, to give a dramatic sense to the story of the impact Hitler's suppression had in its incipient stages on France, its citizens, and the final impact once the invasion took place. LeRoy adeptly brings the reader into the horrors that abound, on land and sea, with deaths occurring that leave the reader wanting for air. Why this read was surprising, is how deeply it grabbed me and had me caring about its protagonist, and the pain of his fate. While there was nothing watered down about this story, LeRoy also captivated with innuendo and subtleties of underdone gore, playing well onto the readers imagination without repulsing. After concluding this read, I am left with a sober realism of the horrors we do to each other, in the name of revenge, in the name of fear, in the name cowardice, in the name of stupidity, in the name of love of ones country, etc., leaving me lost for words to describe the power that this read had on me. I seriously recommend this read for anyone that wants to feel what it must have felt like under the reign of atrocities Nazi invasions had on the unfortunates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aptmospheric read, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Paperback)
I found the siren of Paris to be a really atmospheric read, set just before the outbreak of World War II in Paris. The book takes you though the changes from peacetime to war and the occupation of France. The Siren of Paris is really descriptive and really makes you feel like you are standing Paris. The storyline was strong and the characters well rounded and you got to know them very well. This is a book for anyone with an interest in World War II and makes for quite an historical read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtefuge and espionage - Excellent story about life in Paris during WW2", 6 April 2013
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Kindle Edition)
This is a thrilling historical novel. Beginning just before the outbreak of the 2nd World War. It focuses on how choices in good faith can come back and haunt us in the future. Brutal and shocking and times, tender and gentle at others; a great mix. I found the ending a little confusing which is why I didn't give the book 5 stars but I am very glad I read it and recommend it to other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars very different, very moving, very personal, very insightful, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Kindle Edition)
you won't have read a WW2 book like this ever before. I certainly hadn't. I really can't praise it enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Puts you right in the war., 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Kindle Edition)
The point of view of the book is about freedom from the guilt of surviving the war, and also surrounding betrayal.

This is not a romance novel. In fact, it is at times graphic, and follows real historical events and people set during world war two, such as the sinking of the RMS Lancastria.

Marc Tolbert is not some cock sure arrogant alpha male who beats the Nazi's and wins the girl in the end. Instead, he is just a normal guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, who fell in love with the wrong woman, and for that, he must fight tooth and nail to save his soul.

2.0 out of 5 stars Main characters need more depth, 11 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A life well lived?, 25 April 2013
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Kindle Edition)
This is an interesting story, a flashback through a life lived in Paris in the Second World War and how the choices we make impact on our future. I very much liked the language and style of the novel, the way in which characters drifted in and out of the timeline and the real-life events and historical characters woven into the story. In tone, it reminded me very much of 'Birdsong'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opens your eyes, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Paperback)
The Siren of Paris is a historically accurate novel about life just before and just after the outbreak of World War II. With Paris as the back drop and a student travelling back home form the USA on the Eve of war. The Siren of Paris quickly gets you hooked. It opens you eyes to what is was like to be alive at that period and the fear that occupation brought to the populous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhelpful, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Siren of Paris (Kindle Edition)
Sorry I couldn't finish this book so I know it's not a review t all. The first couple of chapters were dull and I want to enjoy whatever free time I have to read, after 60 pages nothing was holding me to it and I was itching to switch to another book.

The Siren of Paris