5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best-performing wicking baselayers available
Over the years, I've worn many different types of baselayers from a variety of different manufacturers but in terms of wicking performance, these stand out as the best.

Published 7 months ago by K-Roo

3.0 out of 5 stars fine but see-through
fine but see-through.
not good if you are not wearing anything on top of it. but feels nice and size was as expected.
Published 13 months ago by Jennifer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best-performing wicking baselayers available, 25 April 2014
K-Roo "K-Roo" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Helly Hansen Women's W HH Dry Original Long Sleeve Baselayer (Sports Apparel)

I use mine for walking, cycling, kayaking and as a general daily baselayer all year round. In chilly weather, I wear a merino wool layer on top: because merino doesn't wick as effectively as Helly Hansen's 'Dry' range, this provides the best combination of warmth and wicking without any clammy stickiness.

Worn alone in cold weather, they don't provide much warmth and they don't have much wind resistance either but they're not really designed as a thermal layer hence if you're standing around in cold temperatures then you're likely to feel cold. However, worn during activity then they are the best - sweat is wicked away quickly leaving your body still feeling (relatively) fresh but, most importantly, dry. (They're also perfect for dealing with menopausal hot flushes and night sweats too - although this isn't promoted on their sporty ads and packaging!)

They are true to size. I'm a UK 10-12 and ordered the small size. At first it felt tight due to the close fit but after a few hours, I'd completely forgotten about it as it stretches freely with every move. The close-fit is needed for the best wicking performance and the close-fitting sleeves don't ride up.

Because they wick sweat so effectively, they can be worn for several days without becoming smelly and after washing they they dry quickly too.

Definitely 5-star quality, fit, wicking performance and value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 14 Dec 2012
excellent product and very quick delivery. helly hansen are reliable every time for comfort and quality. highly recommended for anyone who wants a reliable product for cold weather

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Baselayer, 27 Oct 2013
Helly Hansen are always a great fit in the arms and body. They are so light and take up the minimum amount of room, so I take a few with me when skiing or on the mountains. I wear them when cycling as well. So a good all- rounder. Wash really well and last the pace

5.0 out of 5 stars Base layer, 17 Nov 2013
P. Moren - See all my reviews
This si an excellent product which is easy to wash and dry, comfortable to wear and keeps warm and dry.,

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 April 2013
Brilliant fit & quality - lot Helly Hansen thermals for snowboarding - really comfy. Again, brilliant size variety, difficult to find XS in a shop.

3.0 out of 5 stars fine but see-through, 14 Oct 2013
fine but see-through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy and does the job, 24 Oct 2013
I am skinny and tall, got an S. Good size, does the job. I use it as base layer when I cycle. Dries up quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it fits your physique then it's awesome..., 3 Jan 2013
I normally order the mens version of the dry lifa top but got sucked in by the purple version!

In the mens I find the arms are nice and long and a good fit (I'm quite muscular),the body is a long length so doesn't ride up and the it's tighter so stays in place. For me the arms are a lot tighter meaning when I bend them it's a little restrictive, the hem is at a shorter length so I discovered a lot of areas on my shorts that are annoying as they're usually covered. The hip area is cut a lot wider so it rides up which surprised me as I have an hourglass shape and the cuffs are pretty tight.

It's not astoundingly uncomfortable but it's not as comfortable as it could be. The colour is beautiful and the fabric works brilliantly as usual. I found the cut kind of odd but that was just me, the lifa base layers are a fantastic product and I'm sure this would fit most women. If you've got decent size muscles maybe give the men's version a try and go a size down.

5.0 out of 5 stars How many more reviews of this do you want?, 14 Jan 2013
If you're out feeding horses on the cliffs over the North Sea every morning, whatever the weather, then this is what you need if you have a tendency to chest infections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect base layers, 5 Nov 2014
Absolutely great for sailing and hiking - I totally love this top.

I wear it as a base layer for sailing and also sometimes just wear it on its own with my sallopettes and its great. Its warm but the best thing it really does wick sweat away.

I also have the more expensive version which is double layered marino wool for colder weather as that extra layer means you can almost wear it as a jumper on its own.

I also tested these items out when I went on an arctic expedition to see polar bears near to the north pole and again they didn't let me down. I highly recommend the HH polar fleece products and also the leggings that match these tops.

I am sailing across the Atlantic soon and I am taking both the thick and thinner sets with me tops and leggings and i know I will be well protected for all eventualities :-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›