5.0 out of 5 stars love it
Published 17 months ago by Oostrijck

3.0 out of 5 stars Plain in comparison with his better work
Nick Cave albums generally fall into two categories - mean, hungry stompers (Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream) and melancholy, subdued classics (No More Shall We Part, Boatman's Call). This album fits into neither - and depending on your perspective this is either a Bold New Move, or a Neither One Thing Nor The Other.
For me it's the latter. It's pleasant enough, and...
Published on 10 Mar 2003 by Mr. Paul J. Bradshaw

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Plain in comparison with his better work, 10 Mar 2003
Mr. Paul J. Bradshaw (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
For me it's the latter. It's pleasant enough, and enjoyable in places, but lacks the guts or the heart of his best work. Highlights like Bring It On work well but you're almost left wondering whether he hasn't worked on the songs as much as he could. There isn't the depth or simplicity of previous work.
If you;re a Cave fan, this is definitely worth buying - it's not a bad album. But for those curious about his work, you're best trying one of his stronger albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 19 Mar 2013
Oostrijck (Rotterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
No, sorry people, I love Nocturama. Eventhough it is not as cohesive as previous releases and the songs don`t really fit together, i do feel the songs individually are really superb. Some rockers, lovely ballads and clever lyrics. I prefere Nocturama over more recent albums such as Dig ! Lazarus dig ! or both Grinderman albums. In fact, Grinderman sucks. I have not heard Push the sky away yet, but if it`s as good as Nocturama, then i cannot complain.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag, 6 Dec 2011
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have set their critical bar so high in recent years that this album is, for me, probably their weakest during the 2000s. It doesn't have the consistency of great songs as has Abattoir Blues, Dig Lazarus Dig, or their masterpiece, No More Shall We Part. Nevertheless, it is still a very good record. leaving most other 'rock' records in the shade.

Standout songs are Wonderful Life, He Wants You and Bring It On (the latter being right up there with Cave's best). However, on a recent play of the album (the first in a few years I'll admit), I was struck by the majestic masterpiece that is the album's epic 15-minute closer Babe I'm On Fire. On first hearing this song appears to be a (rare) piece of Cave over-indulgence, comprising 38 (yes count them!) identical verses, followed by a few interspersed choruses, leading to an initial impression of irritating repetition. But, on subsequent listens this song grows in stature until it achieves the aforementioned classic status. In its gradual increase in intensity, it begins to live in the same league as such other extended epics such as the Velvet's Sister Ray, Yo La Tengo's And The Glitter Is Gone and even Bowie's Cygnet Committee.

The song's wonderfulness is, of course, substantiated by some of the wittiest lyrics Cave has thus far set on paper - each verse just gets funnier and funnier, with Cave stretching the limits of lyricism to achieve some marvellous rhymes. My current favourite is the following:

The athlete with his hernia says it
Picasso with his Guernica says it
My wife with her furniture
Everybody!
Babe, I'm on fire

Marvellous stuff. Oh, and if this wasn't enough, there are backing vocals on this song (and two others on the album) from legendary Blockheads, Messrs Jankel, Watt-Roy, Gallagher and Turnbull.

5.0 out of 5 stars When he's good, he's wonderful..., 25 Jan 2007
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
This album will give you the measure of a master balladeer at his very best. True, he's as inconsistent as the next artist, but at his best, Cave has a wonderful talent for finding melodies in the darkest places. For heartrending riffs, listen to 'Bring it on', for fond and witty paeons, hear 'Rock of Gibraltar and as for 'He wants you', it remains one of his best ever songs, matched only perhaps by 'Love letter' off 'No more shall we part'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nick's best, but certainly worth having, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
Now (unfairly) considered one of the low points of Nick Cave's career, it certainly didn't sound that way at first listen. Songs are well written, if a bit unexceptional, Nick's singing is confident and The Bad Seeds' playing once again phenomenal. Certainly worth listening singer-songwriter stuff, just not on a par with Nick's best.

4.0 out of 5 stars More highs than lows, 21 Dec 2003
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
There are some tracks on Nocturama that fall below Nick Cave’s high standards, like the overlong and somewhat indulgent Babe, I’m On Fire and the raucous, messy Dead Man In My Bed. Fortunately these are more than compensated for by the wealth of beautiful gems like He Wants You and Right Out Of Your Hand, both gentle ballads with poetic lyrics and lovely melodies.
Bring It On is a strong rock ballad, Still In Love with its moving lyrics is another slow jewel as is There Is A Town with its mournful chorus. The masterpiece of the album is Rock Of Gibraltar, an exquisite love song where Cave rhymes “Gibraltar” with “alter”, “Malta” and “altar.” This is a melodic and lyrical classic, ranking amongst Nick’s very best compositions.
I don’t see how some reviewers can dismiss this album as a failure when it contains so many superb songs with intelligent, moving lyrics and memorable tunes, including She Passed By My Window. Yes, the last track Babe, I’m On Fire is five minutes too long but this isn’t a bad song, just too raw and too long. Nocturama is a great work and it deserves four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRING IT ON!, 8 Feb 2003
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
It's been a while since there was a Nick Cave song you could dance to, but Bring it On is just that and I blooming well love it! Nocturama hides this beautiful big folky rock piece featuring the wonderful voice of Chris Bailey amid its brooding long feathered wings of the best ballads, the best rock, the best lyrics and the best music to come from the Bad Seeds in around a decade. As a long standing Cave enthusiast, I am duty bound to love everything he releases but this casts No More Shall We Part and even The Boatmans Call into the shadows. The range of style and subject matter is greater on this album, and Nick's singing sounds comfortable and accomplished. I heard he was giving the Seeds more freedom to do their thing on this album, and the results verify the wisdom of that choice. My special favourite is Warren Ellis, who seems to have been given free reign to do as he wishes throughout the album, and he knows just what to do and where to do it. I think it is his violin which makes the difference between an average and a great song more than once. Nocturama has not left my CD player since I got it. It is Cave's best album for a long time, and I haven't even mentioned the fabulous 15-minute-long beast Babe I'm on Fire! Buy this now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leftovers, 18 April 2003
M. Silvert (London, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This album is ok, with a couple of good songs, I think after the brilliance of his last album, No More Shall We Part, it was always going to be hard to come out with something better. And something distinctly below par, has come out, for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, can produce the most amazing tracks. This album sounds like a few leftover songs that did not make the last album.
If you are a mad Nick fan like me, you will still enjoy it, but it is wont hold your attention for long.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nocturama - the epic last track., 4 Feb 2003
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
The first thing anybody hears about on this album is the 15 minute epic song at the end of the track, so I will base the majority of the review on this particular song. Naturally, after purchasing the album, the first thing I did was watch the DVD - a video of the band performing the song, entitled "Babe, I'm on fire".
On first impression, I was rather dissappointed, because I was rather of hoping for an epic symphony, or perhaps a story, similar to the Carny or the mercy seat, with a climactic build-up. The song is anything but this. In fact, its more of a catchy dit, and the more you listen to it, the more it works. The same tune is repeated over and over for 15 minutes. If this were not the case, I think the song would be rather average, similar to Deanna but with less power.
The rest of the album is nothing short of beautiful. The opening track "Its a wonderful life" paves the way for a lovely melancholic feel. "Right out of your hand" is also a lovely track, and "Bring it on", and "Dead Man In My Bed" are also great tracks. The rest of the tracks, in my opinion are average, but any Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds Fan will appreciate the music.
I enjoy this album, but I am only going to award it 3 Stars. Not because I think it lacks, but because I was hoping for something a little more darker; stories, tragedies, and as I mentioned previously, an epic symphony.
There are many good points in this album, Warren Ellis seems to have come out of his shell on this one, and they have utilised his violin skill a great deal. The backing vocals from the Block Heads (of Ian Dury fame) are a nice touch, and all in all there is a nice atmoshpere to every song.
And you cant help but laugh at the Bad Seeds making fools of themselves in the DVD :o)
And that, as they say, is that.
- A nick Cave and the Bad Seeds fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cave as ill-boding as ever!, 3 Feb 2003
Mr. R. W. Currie (coventry United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nocturama (Audio CD)
The emotional depth that Nick Cave brings to this album is one that could swallow you up whole. The songs possess a wonderful beauty which conjure a mixture of feelings within you of which lament, hope and sadness are but a few. Cave once again manages to unlock the door to your mind and allow you a glimpse of the wreckage that exists therein. If you are a Bad Seeds fan then this may not be a surprise and to be fair there isn't anything here that is new or innovative. If you like the Bad Seeds style then you'll love this album. In fact you could say 'Rock of Gibralter', one of the tracks here is a fine image for Cave's thoroughly dependable ballads. If you are looking for music that is both tender and heartfelt then you will not be disappointed.
The first track, 'Wonderful Life', does salutation to the album as a whole and is a song of pure genius. Cave gives us a bitter account of how evasive happiness is. The Bad Seeds giving marvelous backing to Cave's doomful lyrics. It could be borrowed for soundtrack to a film! In 'He Wants You' the fall and rise of the piano echo our ever changing moods, Cave's vocals are passionate without being desperate. 'Right Out Of Your Hand' follows in an equally poignant and haunting vein. There Is A Town is a lamenting ballad with a whining countrified guitar and a distant looping piano riff providing the emotional fix. Bring It On and Dead Man In My Bed provide faster paced interludes from the intimacy which exists in the other tracks.
Without doubt Cave has written some tracks of genius here. All in all, an excellent album, and a definite must have. Just don't expect any punches to be pulled.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Nocturama
Nocturama by Nick Cave (Audio CD - 2012)