5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser PC 323D -Top quality Headset and Microphone!
Wow..I cannot say enough good things about this headset. Sennheiser are famous in the music industry for their products and it's no surprise that the sound reproduction and microphone on the 323D is of superior professional quality.

Published 9 months ago by Ronnie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but not so sure 7.1 headphones are that useful
Comfort and Build quality.

Published on 11 Nov 2012 by Magos

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser PC 323D -Top quality Headset and Microphone!, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser Over-Ear Open-back Gaming Stereo Headset with 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Mic and Integrated Volume Control - Black (Personal Computers)

The 323D uses a USB soundcard which lets you engage the Dolby 3D Game technology via a slider. The 323D supports 2 Channels (Stereo), 4 Channels (Quadraphonic), 5.1 Surround and 7.1 Surround sound. The 323D comes with a CD containing software. This software lets you select which of these listening methods you want to use. Sennheiser attached a sticker to the software cover denoting to download the latest driver from their website so I ended up not using the software provided and opted for the latest drivers.

Headphones Sound Quality 4.5/5
The sound production is really nice, pure and balanced which is exactly what I wanted. The frequency response is really good, better than many headphones that typically support 20 Hz to 20 kHz. I personally use the 7.1 listening mode so that I can listen to music comfortably and slide my USB card for 7.1 enabled 3D gaming.

Microphone Sound Quality 5/5
Sennheiser are famous for their microphones and there is no doubt you are getting a professional studio quality microphone on this headset at an affordable price. The frequency response is so life like that it's actually good enough to record in a studio! Your voice will be clear due to Sennheiser's prowess and their brilliant noise cancelling technology.

Headset Build Quality 4/5
It's very comfortable and you get what you pay for. The soft pads at each ear cup and above the head are comfortable enough for prolonged use. The circular volume slider integrated onto the right ear cup is extremely helpful to adjust volume on the fly.

Microphone Build Quality 5/5
Amazing, it automatically mutes the mic in the raised position and automatically activates when lowered, which means you will never have to mute your mic via software. Genius. Additionally, it does not add any annoying weight to the headset in the mute position or active position. Very well built and thought out here.

Software Quality 3.5/5
The software runs silently in the background under the notifications area. It's extremely simple. You just right click on the Sennheiser icon to select the listening mode for your headphones. The slider on the USB sound card applies the Dolby 3D Game technology to the currently selected listening mode. It takes 2208 K of RAM to run this software in the background which is reasonable.

Conclusion 5/5
Sennheiser are the brand for professional headsets and microphones for me. I'm completely happy with this purchase and would be happy to spend £91.06 again in the future for this headset.

This headset is not only for gamers, I would recommend the 323D to anyone who wants pro audio (which is essentially everyone) with the option of a top quality microphone. If you don't want the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound powered by Dolby, you can get the Sennheiser PC 320 (£67.50) which only provides a nice stereo sound!

If you found this review helpful, please comment and click on Yes! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but doesn't justify the price tag, 13 Nov 2012
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At the writing of this review the price tag of these headphones is 109GBP and I can't see how the sound reproduction can justify this price. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the sound is bad, I just don't think it is 109 pounds worth of good. I have had active sound cancelling headphones for the same price with better sound and a pair of Sennheiser headphones of equal quality, but 35% cheaper (and these are essentiallly Sennheiser phones.

I guess what you are paying for is a piece of hardware that is the USB sound card which the headphones and mic plug into (standard 3.5" jacks). The card is also a slide switch which activates the sound card.

I have used them for some CoD gameplay. I found them to be lacking a little in bass (explosions didn't have as much boom depth), but the sounds were crisp and footfalls were discernible. Of course to make full use of these headphones you need something that supports 7.1 surround sound. The best I have is 5.1, so I tried out a few DVDs and BDs - I have one film that has crickets chirping away from the rear speakers which always makes me think I have an insect invasion in my room, but I didn't get the same effect when wearing the headphones and I can't see that having a set of speakers an inch away from your ears will ever re-create that sound all over the room feeling.

The microphone is on a boom arm which has a smooth slide action and a positive feel of the micro-switch disengaging it. On Skype friends can hear me clearly enough, but even they failed to detect the difference between my cheaper headset and these.

One big plus for me is the rotational volume control on the one ear-cup. Such a great idea, easy to control the volume and can go from full sound to silent in one swift action.

The earcups I found to be just about the right size for my average lugs, but there isn't a great depth to the cup, so the outer edge of my ear is in constant contact with the inner cloth covered plate. My ears don't protrude, so I think most people will feel this. I found the slight pressure begin to feel a little uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Bottom line - good build quality, great volume control, easy to install the software and hardware, sound reproduction from the Sennheiser speakers is good. I just don't think you get the same bang for your buck as the competitors. Maybe at 70-75 GBP I would rethink the missing review star.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but not so sure 7.1 headphones are that useful, 11 Nov 2012
Magos - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Comfort and Build quality.

I have been using these headphones from everyday use for listening to iplayer and music through to playing computer games. I find the headphones very comfortable.I have got quite small ears so they fit nice and snugly and cover all my ears. I have not found them uncomfortable to wear for long periods. The build quality is very good although for the price they cost I think I was expecting something more as the material around the ears feels and looks a little cheap.The microphone boom is sturdy and works very well with Skype.It auto switches off in the raised position which is clever.

USB soundcard

The headphones come with a usb 3dgame sound-card device. This plugs into any free usb socket and then acts you sound card providing 2,4,5.1 and 7.1 channel sound.
You have to install some drivers and a little piece of software that runs in the system tray. I tested this on Windows 7 64 bit and it installed fine. You can switch between sound modes easily. However that's about it as the software is really limited. I have a realtech sound card on my motherboard which has lots of different options and sound modes. In comparison the Sennhieser software is really basic. I was expecting more configuration options. The USB device has a switch on it that when enabled turns Dolby sound on. When I used the device on my laptop which has a basic sound card it came into its own and I found was the equivalent of a sound card upgrade for my laptop.
The headset contains volume control built in to the right headset. This works well and think is pretty cool and convenient.

Sound Quality

Overall using the 5.1 channel setting I found that the sound was good although lacking a little bass. When I switched the Dolby on the sounds in movies feel more like they are in the same room as you and background noise seems faded out and foreground noises such as speech seem closer. It may not be for everyone's taste.
I was looking forward to trying 7.1 out in games. However I could not find any games that supported 7.1 channels which was a disappointment. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 sounded really good using the headphones on 5.1 channel mode but has no option to support 7.1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset that's left my wife rather jealous, 18 Aug 2014
B. Griffin (UK) - See all my reviews
A great headset for gaming and general media use.

My main use was for playing MMOs with voicecomms through ventrillo/mumble/TS2 and this headset gives me the best of both worlds in terms of audio quality and microphone clarity.

Upgrading from a Creative Fatal1ty USB headset, the audio quality is exactly as you'd expect from Sennheiser. Deeper base, clearer midtones and great clarity at the top end. I wouldn't recommend these for listening to music, however, for gaming and movies, I doubt there are many headsets better than these for the price. Turn on the surround processing and game audio just comes to life. There really is no comparison between this headset and a standard 2.0 stereo headset.

The mic also seems to be pretty robust. Although I had read reviews stating that the mic was prone to breaking, my experience has been nothing but positive. When not using voicecomms, I simple flick the mic boom to the vertical position which silences it and I can pretty much forget it's even there. When in use, I just move it down and it works instantly. Other people on voicecomms have commented about how clear my voice is and it's "almost as if I'm in the same room" (of course this will also depend heavily on the quality of your voicecomms server).

The on-ear volume control is easy to use and there's no fumbling around trying to find a volume up/down button which is nice to have.

The only downside is that I'll probably have to buy another set for my wife as she's a little envious after inheriting my old Creative Fatal1ty headset!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good headset, surround sound is a bit of a gimmick, 4 Dec 2014
Very clear sound and microphone; which is good as I've previously bought a similar Sades headset which had a terrible microphone, so I thought I'd trust Sennheiser to delivery what Sades couldn't and they haven't disappointed. Although the two most important factors of a headset are great, the surround sound is both good and bad:
Pros:
- When talking to friends, they seem almost to be talking to you directly, I find that when I turn off the surround sound they seem too unreal or robotic, so I love the surround sound for that.
- With music, the instruments are in the background while the singing is in the foreground, making it; again, seem as though I was there.
- Finally with gaming, the background noises such as distant gunfire, engines and the like are just that, background, and closer noises such as speaking and footsteps are very distinguishable.
Cons:
- During music, can affect sound quality making notes almost slurred, but mostly unnoticeable.
- Don't see any effect while gaming, in fact it makes footsteps ad the like harder to pinpoint than having it on stereo.
Overall, the headset is great but I wouldn't have paid the extra £20 (about $30) for the USB surround sound card, as the good just about outweigh the bad of it. However the overall headset with or without the surround sound is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good quality of sound, comfort and durability. The volume/mute functions on mic and headset are the best., 9 Dec 2012
Ioannis Ziakas (London) - See all my reviews
Awesome value for money and sound quality. Recommended 100% to anybody after a really hgood mid and headset. Any headset of their range is good but the 3D sound really shines in FPS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Headset, 9 Nov 2014
Daz (Stroud, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Light and comfortable to wear all day.

Sound great.

Convenient volume control on the headset. I was skeptical about this but it is genuinely useful.

Can still hear external noise while using them e.g. doorbell ringing. For me is a positive but these aren't what you're looking for if you want to be totally isolated.

Only slight criticism would be the switch between stereo and surround sound. It's a simple slide switch which does the job but isn't ergonomic like the rest of the headphone design.

3.0 out of 5 stars High quality sound, well designed. Does hurt your ears after a while, 21 Sep 2014
D. Victory (UK Essex) - See all my reviews
High quality sound, well designed and made, easy to adjust and install. Very much like the volume control designed in the outside ear cup, very neat. Initially very comfortable and I would have given four stars but after consideration decided to only give three stars for the discomfort to my ears after wearing them for a length of time. I think the size of the ear cups should be larger to fit around the ears and not squashing them to the side of your head. May be there is a reason for this???

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!!!!!, 11 Oct 2014
Well I love them the 7.1 surround in you ears ow so crisp and clear you can immerse yourself in what ever you are listening to or playing. the head set itself is comfortable and well made takes a bit of getting uesd to the volume controls on the right ear. the mike an mute set up is way cool and the mike is so sensitive. the whole thing is light after a while you don't realise you are wareing anything on you head a must buy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality!, 25 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fab! The sound quality of sound effects is so good I found myself looking around and jumping lol. The sound of peoples speech is also very clear and easy to understand as is my speech to other people.

These are also very comfortable. I will say that this is the only gaming head set I have ever used but that I see no reason to get any more as these do all that I would want or expect.