4.0 out of 5 stars A great idea that is still evolving
+Quick setup
+Great remote with full keyboard and function keys
+Marketplace apps add functionality
+USB support
+Plays a number of video file formats, including many that consoles wont play (TechRadar reports AVI, AVC HD, MKV, MOV, MPEG, WMV and WMV HD support)
+Supports multiple audio formats (Techradar reports MP3, AAC, FLAC & WAV)...
Published on 25 Oct. 2012 by Mr. T. Berriman

3.0 out of 5 stars OK if you have a dumb TV
I thought that I would give the NSZ-GS7 a good couple of weeks before doing a review as initial impressions were not that favourable.

The box itself is small, sleek and piano black, and fits in very nicely with the rest of my mostly Sony AV gear. As usual, the GS7 was not shipped with any cables or connectors apart from the power lead, so it is as well to...
Published on 2 Oct. 2012 by Nick Flynn

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars misleading spec, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player with Google TV (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this item as it stated 1000s of apps on the playstore. However the apps that work with it are very few must of the apps that I like will not work with it. I believe they either should stop advertising it have google playstore or state the apps that work with it is limited. Also it does not have flash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, 23 Aug. 2013
Works flash at all Internet sites very good alternate for smart tv. Only issue is there is no ad blocker for now hoping for some updates soon

3.0 out of 5 stars For Netflix and Plex its great. sorely needs an update, 10 Aug. 2013
This device is a fantastic bit of kit but I wouldnt recommend it to anyone not familiar with the eco system currently.
Honeycomb, the core OS is its main fault.
BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5 - None work on Honeycomb, I bet they would if Sony update this to Jellybean. Sony have hinted at an update to fix iPlayer, which I can only assume is JB...
Plex and Netflix are almost the only two apps I use on it and work well.
For me - if it gets JB it will be a whole new and worthwhile device. If it doesn't I'd rather recommend waiting for Chromecast

4.0 out of 5 stars good.. some room for improvement though, 28 July 2013
Its a glorified YouTube player which can also play videos from your local storage. But accessing the storage from within your network from other device is not possible. The remote is well designed and adds up nicely to the experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 July 2013
Was a bit dubious upon reading the reviews, decided to take the plunge, I now have a smart tv, yipee

4.0 out of 5 stars googles tv, 15 May 2013
Great to have if you want internet on your tv.
It's good because you can view things on the big screen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you want it for, 25 April 2013
UPDATE 09/13: Since Google announced the Chromecast this box becomes more or less redundant - providing you have an Android/iOS device to act as remote control. If you don't or don't want to use your phone as a remote, then Google TV remains a sensible option as an under-the-TV device.

Despite regular updates from Sony and Google, the box remains too slow as a web-surfing computer so it remains a very good streaming box. Note that although there isn't an iPlayer app if you bookmark the BBC's iPlayer web page it works absolutely fine in full HD.

---------------------------------------------

I bought this box for one thing and one thing only - to play movies purchased off the Google Play store. Their selection of titles is way better than Amazon's Love Film and the prices are reasonable too.

The box takes a while to set up but once going it works fine. Just don't expect it to do very much. The browser is slow and clunky, the apps very limited, the interface not exactly intuitive, no apps for iPlayer, 4OD etc.

And don't get me started about connecting your sat. box through it. It might work for a bit, then it gives up and you have to more or less reset the box and start all over again.

However, for what I wanted it for it is brilliant. I purchase or rent movies (similar to iTunes) and they start streaming in HD (if you pay the extra compared to SD) in seconds. The quality is way better than broadcast TV and certainly comparable to Blu-ray. Having reviews, trails suggestions etc all available beats Blockbuster (when they were around) any day. The only "downside" is that I rent far more movies than I did before - but I guess the saving on the petrol easily outweighs the rentals.

Downsides are that there is no download for later offline viewing. Apparently Google allows this for "supported" devices, but Google TV is not one of them! Give me a break. Also lip-sync can be a bit dodgy. I think this is the fault of the Sony box, not the streaming, but I can't understand why a TV manufacturer like Sony couldn't get something so basic right.

I also purchase movies occasionally from iTunes, especially when I want to view offline. My experience of downloading over the same broadband is that iTunes takes hours to download a single movie in SD, never mind HD. I haven't tried streaming from iTunes but I can't imagaine it being a good experience.

The other use I have is to play music. You can sync Google music from your iTunes library and then play it on your TV. Sounds like nothing much but I quite like it.

All-in-all, if you are looking for a net-aware media PC this definitely isn't it. But if, like me, you want to watch HD movies on a proper large-screen TV without fiddling around with your PC/iPad/cable converters etc, and you have a decent broadband (mine's 12Mbps)there isn't anything that does the job as well that I know of.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it., 3 April 2013
Don't waste your money. The system is slow and creaky when you surf. Spotify isn't available on it as it is blocked. Most apps don't work on it. Disappointed is not the word for how I feel about this product. Wish I'd either bought a more expensive Mac mini or a cheaper Amazon Kindle Fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a lot better now!, 15 Jan. 2013
I have waited a while before ordering this product. I must say with the latest updates it has got a lot better. GTV Box app in Google Play does everything you want. Without any apps, you are limited to local storage only but with GTV you can play and stream any media from your server and it even does AirPlay now! I had no crashes so far. The remote control is excellent and the ability to control my Virgin Tivo is great too however I have chosen to use my box stand alone. There is no delay in HDMI and browsing the net is seamless. Low power usage as well, great product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Video streaming performance very poor, 14 Aug. 2012
I bought this Internet player as a replacement for a 2 year old PC that was running just fine through a large LCD TV.
What a dissapointment it has turned out to be. Any video streaming, You tube, BBC Iplayer, 4OD, ITV player etc is absoloutely diabolical with frequent stopping, jerking and on occasions refusing to start at all. I have tried playing exactly the same video streams back through my PC, placed in the same physical position as the Sony player and it has worked absolutely fine. There seems little doubt in my mind that the problem here lies with the Sony player itself or the onboard Google TV software and not with my broadband connection. The onboard chrome browser works OK and renders most websites without any obvious problems. The remote controller/keyboard unit is a neat and well layed out and is suprisingly quick in operation once it has been mastered. For UK users, there is at present no seperate apps for BBC iplayer, Skype, Netflix available for Google TV, a situation that needs to be remedied. As this internet player is likely to be purchased mainly for it's video streaming capabilities for the big screen, I have to say it falls well short of the mark and at present is really not worth the money being asked for it. Perhaps there may be improvements delivered via firmware updates in the future, but if not I cannot see this platform ever catching on with such sub-standard performance in the video streaming department.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›