4.0 out of 5 stars TURNING PRO
'Turning Pro' is a good book with good ideas but he already covered them in his previous one, 'The War of Art' which, in my opinion, is much better.
Published on 19 July 2012 by SuePlumtree

2.0 out of 5 stars This book doesn't add anything--buy War of Art
Published on 2 Mar. 2013 by Evelyn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars This book doesn't add anything--buy War of Art, 2 Mar. 2013
Pressfield's other book The War of Art changed my life. I refer to it regularly when I'm struggling against 'Resistance'. Then came Do the Work, which is one of the weakest books I've read in any genre. Turning Pro falls in between those two. If you haven't read War of Art there might be some inspiration in here, but Turning Pro lacks clarity of message and seems to be a cheap attempt to capitalize on the loyal following for War of Art.

I bought this book because of the apparently-new concepts of shadow careers and displacement activities. However, they are only described in passing and I can give you a more explicit and helpful description here: we pursue a shadow career when we sit on the sidelines of our passion (e.g. professor of creative writing instead of a novelist). Displacement activities are things which replace and displace doing our Work (e.g. blogging or reading a good book on writing instead of *actually* writing your novel; writing a review on Amazon...... etc.).

If you don't own War of Art, absolutely buy that book. If you own War of Art, read it again, or better yet, sit down and do your Work.

4.0 out of 5 stars TURNING PRO, 19 July 2012
SuePlumtree (Richmond, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for all creatives who want to turn pro, 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Turning Pro (Kindle Edition)
This book is a serious challenge for any creative who wants to be considered a professional in their chosen sphere. Pressfield holds nothing back and this book seriously kicked my ass. He takes the excuses we all wheel out sometimes and blows them to pieces while telling of his own past, giving emotional resonance to some difficult life lessons. The book underscores the fact that turning pro is not for everyone, that there is considerable sacrifice. I was personally convicted on my habits and how distraction can sometimes ruin my creative time. Taking action on this book is difficult but necessary, and I start today. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a simple answer to living bettter, 2 Dec. 2013
Read this clever little book, which if you get it, could change your life forever. Don't query it just take it as it is.
You could spend years reading all kinds of heavy, deep books about life and how to change it, but you could just
read this one and accept that all that has been done already and pooled into a simple answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing; essential; grateful, 13 Jan. 2013
Thank you Steven Pressfield, for living the life you did, you do, because it has led to discoveries that now benefit every aspect of my life. I am a pro mother. And my next step is to get out from under my shadow career and dedicate that time to my muse. Ever ever gratefully, alexia

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a state of mind, 7 Feb. 2013
M. A. G. Nolan "Koyunbaba" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turning Pro (Kindle Edition)
Along with the war of art, this book is about how to approach the creative process in the most effective way. What it all appears to boil down to is your state of mind. The level of commitment by the "Pro" is total. Your dedication to completing your work and getting it out into the world, irrespective of the potential mauling it may receive, is what sets the Pro apart. It is a brief book but well worth the look. I found this book along with The Icarus Deception to be very useful at breaking down the "block" that plagues the amateur. Good luck with your creative efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Following your true calling, 22 Oct. 2014
This book is a must for all creative people who can`t seem to actually get past thinking about living the creative life and wondering why they can`t seem to get round to do doing anything creative, (or if you do, it isn`t for very long). Resistance will use everything in its vast arsenal to stop you from following your calling. First read War of Art, then this, it will all make sense. This book is a mega weapon in the war with Resistance. Even if you don`t read War of Art, this book will help you begin to become the person you`re supposed to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars On point!, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Turning Pro (Kindle Edition)
After reading The War of Art I was itching to get my hands on a copy of Turning Pro. For me the timing couldn't have been better to pick up this book, I just wish I read it when I was younger. Perfect for everyone and anyone but especially the ones that are finding their way and still dealing with all the noise of today's world. As I enter into a new chapter of my life I am grateful to have read Turning Pro before I do. POWERFUL stuff people! Be the hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars I quite liked it but felt Pressfield didn't really nail the nature ..., 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Turning Pro (Kindle Edition)
This book was exactly what I needed, as I had tumbled into a self-pitying, creative slump. It was precisely the wake-up call I needed, and it has had an immediate impact on my creative energy. I read The War on Art a few years ago. I quite liked it but felt Pressfield didn't really nail the nature of resistance; he just seemed to be saying that you should grit your teeth and get on with it. Turning Pro is more nuanced, in spite of its crisp, short sections. Like a lot of books such as this, the impact will depend on the receptivity of the reader. I had been searching for something to help shake me out of the doldrums for quite some time. This book certainly hit that mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best!, 25 Aug. 2013
Mr P E Bellingham (parmi le Cantiaci!) - See all my reviews
A brilliant mature and insightful book written for those who are working in genuinely creative areas. The author really knows his chops and has the insight and awareness to present a guide for those who are working through the "growining pains" necessary to complete. Many societies just don't seem to have this kind of wisdom on tap and there are many obstacles to learn to deal with and approaches that need to be cultivated. Brilliant, extremely concise, a real gem!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›