5.0 out of 5 stars Good Game
I did enjoy this game. It could have been better, you can't explore much. A bit too much follow my leader.
Published 17 months ago by Michael Rouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but flawed
I originally wrote this review a day after playing the game, but now that I've had a proper chance to play it, I feel I didn't do it justice. I still enjoyed the game, but it doesn't deserve 5 stars.

Published 21 months ago by Robert Palmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but flawed, 14 Feb 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Aliens Colonial Marines - Collectors Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

Campaign was a good length, it took me around ten hours to finish. It felt more like a standard first-person shooter experience than I would've liked, and more than you'd expect from an Aliens game. Unfortunately, you never feel like you're part of a squad, even though you have an AI companion through the whole game. I felt the atmosphere and authenticity was great, the lighting really helps set the scene and the pulse rifle sounds great. Aliens vary from scary to underwhelming, I've had moments where I've jumped out of my chair, and moments where I've sighed at how stupid a Xeno has been. Also, expect to fight human enemies, with guns. I'm kind of ruining the surprise here, but it's not a pleasant surprise. While they can be fun, they'll soon get tedious, and you'll long to fight Aliens again. Y'know, like you expected. Overall, the campaign is enjoyable but underwhelming. When you think about what it could've been, it's disappointing. But as it is, you can have fun with it.

Multi-player is fun, but suffers from a lack of dedicated servers, and a few minor but irritating balance issues. They're aren't that many maps, which is a shame, though some of the game types are interesting. Escape is my favourite game type, which reminds me of playing Left 4 Dead. Controlling the Alien isn't as smooth or intuitive as in Rebellion's AVP, which I believe did the controls better. I'm not a big multi-player person, but I found it entertaining. Expect a much faster pace than the campaign, and expect to die a whole lot more.

In conclusion, the game is flawed but fun. It's definitely a disappointment, especially compared to what it should've been (and how it was advertised). There are people who hate the game, and I can understand their frustrations. However, I managed to find enjoyment in the game, and I wouldn't say I wasted my time with it. But I'd be lying if I said it was the Aliens game I was hoping for.

Regarding the Collectors Edition - it's a bit pricey, but the Powerloader figure is sweet. The extra in-game content can be used in campaign and multi-player, which is a plus. It wasn't a bad price when compared to other collectors editions. You get a pair of badges, a diagram of the ship, a mission briefing and some other stuff. Most of it is flavour material, but to an Aliens fan it's good fun.

Delivery was delayed by a day, but I was refunded for the extra postage I paid so no damage done there really.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average with some flashes of Brilliance., 14 Feb 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I don't normally take note of reviews for a game before purchasing particularly because everyone has different tastes. In this case however I think most reviewers have hit the nail on the head. Aliens: Colonial Marines is definitely not a Great or even good game. It has used it's name to appeal to fans of the Alien Franchise and then dashed their hopes with horribly average and uninteresting game play compounded by an Alien AI that is just terrible and makes a mockery of the Xenomorph killers we all know and love from the films.

The Story starts off genuinely interesting with USS Sulaco found adrift over LV 426 after previously being sighted over Fury 131 (Aliens 3)and a new Colonial marines detachment being sent to investigate why. They quickly encounter trouble however as the Sulaco is infested with Xenomorphs and the first squads dispatched have become hosts to propagate the hive.

It quickly goes down hill from here however, with the introduction of Weyland Yutani PMCs, clichéd dialogue and Aliens who are less dangerous than children's scissors.

There are flashes of brilliance Hadley's Hope being particularly prominent; exploring the colony and realising this is the medical room where Newt and Ellen were sleeping before the Facehugger release, there's the two "dry" automated sentry guns, the briefing table in the operations room and then looking across the cold, dark vista of LV 426 and seeing the destroyed pyramidal structure of the atmospheric processor.

These were absolutely brilliant little pieces of the great game that is hiding somewhere in the deepest darkest depths of the Hive.

The Collector's Edition is not a bad buy with some decent extra goodies like a Mission briefing, some mission patches, a ship diagram and of course the Power Loader figurine.

I haven't had the chance to play the Multiplayer yet, but I can't imagine it will be a saving grace for this game. Which is stupidly unfortunate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy it until dlc comes, 8 Mar 2013
This game falls so far under my expectations, the demo was far superior in terms of graphics, game play and NPC AI. This game is a rip off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a waste, 7 Mar 2013
So much promise in a game and so much failure!

SEGA and Gearbox screwed over customers by out sourcing most of the game and thus its a poor mishmash of a game
Singleplayer wise its just a joke, crap story line, poor AI, and the queen end battle makes you want to scream its that bad. (all though the blind exploding alien part was fun, only part of the game that makes you acctually scared)

Multiplayer (produced by a diffrent company from the SSP version) is a bit better but suffers from poor alien wall climbin, spawn points to close to the other teams (still perfer that over call of duty tho)

All in all not worth the money your payin, maybe wait till its like 9.99 and get it to play multiplayer with your friends

4.0 out of 5 stars Met Expectations, 7 Aug 2013
After thinking about this purchase for a while and reading many reviews I did not expect much from this game, but when it arrived and I installed it I was met with a decent game with some minor bugs. After playing this game for a couple of hours I still couldn't understand why it was so hated, all bugs aside the game itself is decent and is enjoyable with the references to the films and the dialog and voice acting is nice but even if you have not seen the films it is still a functional game to be played and enjoyed.
At its core it is a nice and fun game to pass the time but if you look closer it is a great adventure for fans and newcomers to the franchise.
I hope this review was helpful to you and persuade you to give this game a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, 8 Jun 2013
Michael Rouse (Devon. England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars is it worth it?, 14 Feb 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
in a nut shell, no. the actual gear you get in the box is cool, all the badges and schismatics etc, however i am a huge aliens fan, and was seriously let down. bad game play and mechanics, bugs, "lore" that wasn't etc...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
R. Ardis - See all my reviews
Great

4.0 out of 5 stars One star from perfect..., 21 Nov 2013
..if you already know that the game itself sucks. But what is good in this edition is the nicely done Powerloader figure which is highly detailed and nicely painted. As a nice bonus the package comes with cool Colonial Marine dossier where you can find detailed information about their ship, the mission etc. Also cool legit badges are included so this package is a gem for all the collectors. Four stars just because the game sucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Aliens true fans, 13 Oct 2013
The game itself isn't as bad as most of the critic's reviews...Aliens fans (like me) still have a good time playing it, feeling the thrills of the movies...This edition is a collector's delight, specially the Powerloader figurine...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Aliens Colonial Marines - Collectors Edition (PC DVD)