5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from Mike Pannett
I'd been eagerly awaiting the kindle release of Up Beat and Down Dale and it didn't disappoint.

Published on 22 July 2012 by Caroline

3.0 out of 5 stars police
I always enjoy Mike's books and this did not disappoint.The tales are about a favourite part of ther country for me so maybe I am biased.I recommend it.
Published 20 months ago by Mrs. RJ KING

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from Mike Pannett, 22 July 2012
This review is from: Up Beat and Down Dale: Life and Crimes in the Yorkshire Countryside (Kindle Edition)

I've thoroughly enjoyed all Mikes books. He has a lovely way with words and is able to craft a story in a way that engages you from the start. Nice to see the return of Soapy,Algy,Walt et al along with the tales of the criminal goings on in North Yorkshire.it's not all about criminals though with some lovely tales of missing people found and of his colleagues, career progression and the lovely wife who keeps him in his rightful pace.

With an easy wit, and a very human side to him Mike is just the sort of copper you'd like helping you, unless you're a criminal of course and it would no doubt be no more Mr Nice Guy. The story was left with an open ended feel so hopefully there will one day be more tales from him, I'm sure he has lots more of interest to tell us.

My only disappointment is that I was so engrossed that I read it quickly! Only just published and I want to know when the next one will be out!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Business as usual!, 14 July 2012
As with all the previous books it was well worth the wait. Mike didn't fail to please and as usual this edition was full of ups and downs and excitement. Being a retired rural officer myself I can only repeat what I have said before that this is authentic as it gets and is extremely true to life,certainly from my perspective. Things may have changed a little since I left the service but Mike always explains the finer detail of the law etc for the uninitiated leaving you in no doubt what is happening as the book progresses at an even pace. Having family residing in the Leavening area and being a regular visitor myself to the area over the last 10 years certainly helps as you are carried along with Mike and his shift in their daily dealings with the good people of Ryedale. I dont think that it is essential that you have knowledge of the area as one thing is clear from the start that once again Mike has come up with a rattling good read. Well done , Mike. Can hardly wait for the next one in 2013 but it looks as if I will just have to wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pannett's tales get better each time, 18 July 2012
Mike has produced another edition to a fantastic series. Such was my excitement for Up beat & down dale that I couldn't wait for it to be released in stores and snapped up a copy on pre-release from Amazon. He displays a unique method of telling a tale whilst making it feel personal to the reader. As a result, the reader can feel what Mike did why he did. I look forward to the next instalment whether it be with Birdy, Fordy, Jayne and Thommo or a prequel series from his days in the big smoke's TSG. Don't make us wait too long Mike! Up Beat and Down Dale: Life and Crimes in the Yorkshire Countryside

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb book my Mike Pannett, 16 July 2012
Got to say, the days prior to the books release were tough. It finally arrived and I quickly got familiar with the old favourites. Walt, Soapy, Algy and Ann, all feel like people I actually know. This book is well written and a great read. If you have Mike's previous books, then this is a must. If you don't own the others, buy this and them and get reading, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars mike pannetts upbeat and down dale, 14 July 2012
J. I. Lloyd - See all my reviews
i thoroughly enjoyed Mike Pannetts most recent book 'Upbeat and Down dale' i am sad that its the last in the series, Mike has a way of writing which makes you feel you know the characters and its easy to build up a picture of what they look like . I look forward to the next series of his time spent in the met. police force when he was a lad fresh out of college. I hope the series can live up to his Yorkshire series.Very well done mike and all the best with your future books
J. Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars up beat and down dale, 26 July 2012
Another good book keep it up mike leaves it open for another one still say the tv people could use your books would make good tv i think.Good on you.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Yorkshire Magic from Mike Pannett, 3 Aug 2012
NR (Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
Mike Pannett picks up where he left off in Just The Job Lad, and the result is magical as always! His strengths are the great Yorkshire characters who populate his books, Walter, Soapy, Algy, his fellow officers, and the beautiful object of his affection, Ann. With all that, plus the wonderful descriptions of the Yorkshire countryside and his riveting police stories, it is a recipe for literary success. Just like his first four books, Up Beat and Down Dale leaves you wanting more. Cannot wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars This writer has upped his game once more, 22 July 2012
I've read all the previous books in this series and thoroughly enjoyed them. I've constantly been surprised how, with each new book, the author ups his game. This latest volume is a superb read - another splendid mix of serious police work, engaging scenes with the minor characters who people Mike Pannett's world, and, of course, some wonderful descriptions of the North Yorkshire countryside year-round.

5.0 out of 5 stars The easy wit of James Herriot, with a more contemporary setting, 12 Nov 2013
Mike Pannett is back and fans will not be disappointed. Often compared to James Herriott, Pannett's stories share the easy wit demonstrated so well by the country vet but they are more contemporary, containing a healthy dose of gritty realism. This latest offering - the fifth in the series - is based once again on actual cases: a series of burglaries on remote farmhouses, a winter search for a missing dog walker and the harrowing business of taking three children into care. These stories are all skilfully knitted together with snippets of family life at Keeper's Cottage. Hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars more bobbying from Yorkshire, 24 Aug 2012
I discovered Mike Pannet's books a couple of years ago and have read all of them, this being the latest. I have read many books written by ex policemen and found most of them to be a trip down memory lane, being an ex copper with 30 years service behind me. Mike manages to keep you interested in the characters and although most of his time as a rural beat officer is taken up with keeping in touch with the local farmers and drinking plenty of (Yorkshire)tea, see Mike, I got the plug in for "Yorkshire tea", the type of policing that has now taken over in the 13 years since I left the job has changed it beyond all recognition.The theft of very expensive farm equipment is at epedemic proportions since we opened up eastern european borders, at one time it all went to southern Ireland, so rural beat officers have their work cut out to stop these gangs who would not hesitate to use extreme violence against a police officer on his own in the middle of nowhere, with probably no signal on his radio. I believe Mike has retired now, well done, keep drawing that pension before the government think up some other way to screw you out of what you have worked and paid for over the years. Just hope you get round to writing some books about when you were in the Met !