5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Wonderful Discovery
I find this new album by Mary Chapin Carpenter very moving, beautiful and poignant. it is a wonderfully crafted and produced album from a great song-writer. I had not really listened to Mary's songs before even though she had been recommended to me by others in the past. I tended to shy away from what I thought was 'country' music. However the title of Mary's album...
Published 21 months ago by Jeffers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for manic depressives!
The BBC Review actually sums this cd up = "This profoundly personal album is unlikely to woo passers-by, but loyal, long-time admirers will adore it."
Published 16 months ago by Gandalf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is merciful...., 14 July 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
Ah, another Mary CC album at last, and in many respects this is as good as it gets. Incisive, concise lyrics (which speak volumes more than the usual rock'n'pop'n'country-music mundane perspectives) set against atmospheric, angelic music. Mary is a poet, and she has a poet's eye for the essence of life. Although musically there's a bit of deja vu at times, this is a tiny gripe in the face of the breathtaking and, very often, deeply moving lyrics and moods that sparkle through all her songs on this album. I confess there are songs here that reduce me to tears, and yet oh! what joy to hear lines which cut so beautifully to the core of the matter: "I had to learn to be grateful, I had to learn how to see, mistakes that might have proved fatal, are gifts I now receive". Grown up stuff.
I have all her albums, and in truth I'm not sure where in the pantheon this album sits. It'll take time to settle in me. But what I already know is that I'll be listening to these songs for years to come. This is a brilliant songwriter, using the full range of her powers of music, voice and lyric to create a mature, wise and heavenly album.
If it's true that 'the purpose of love is beauty', then there's a lot of love behind and within this album. Life is indeed merciful.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, quiet and time to think...., 3 July 2012
Steve M (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
.... seems to sum up the mood of this album.

As a fan I really like this album and I recognise where its come from and the back story to it. A casual listener or someone who has not heard her work before may not engage in the same way, if that matters at all. In the catalogue of MCCs work, this is certainly one of her 'quiet' albums of which there have been a few in recent years. It seems obvious to me that she is not inclined to let rip at the moment but I must admit I do hanker after the upbeat material which MCC is unarguably supremely capable of. From memory, the last time that made an appearance was on the album The Calling, which coincidentally seemed to be the start of the period in her life that has influenced this album.

This album defines 'gentleness' and makes me wonder does the lady ever get angry ?, given what she has been through I would be amazed if she doesn't. If some of that emotion was channelled into her music, the results could be amazing.

I am reluctant to identify standout tracks as the album does seem to be about an 'arc' and works well as a whole - however I love Fading Away, after that Transcendetal Reunion and the effortless Soul Companion with James Taylor.

So I really like the album but I probably will save it for the times when I am really in the mood to listen, and in the meantime give The Calling or Come On Come On a spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
What a lovely album. Would certainly recommend. Very easy listening whatever time of the day. Mary Chapin Carpenter is a true artist and performer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Depth of voice, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
Beautiful words from someone who has touched grief , sadness , loss and the ravages of experiences and time. Well done Mary Chapin Carpenter

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for manic depressives!, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
I only have 1 other MCC cd, 'Come On Come On' from 1992, which is a much easier listen than 'Ashes & Roses'. 20 years further on and the voice has become a little monotonous, the content more introspective (which the BBC Review also warned). It's not a bad album, but one it's best to be in the mood to listen to, certainly not one to keep you awake at the wheel on a long drive home.Listen before you buy.
I bought 'Ashes & Roses' (from Amazon) 13/12/12 for 7.30 so the price has been hiked which may reflect the popularity, I guess fans will pay whatever they have to, but at the price now being asked I wouldn't have tried this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Present, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
Arrived with the case a little scratched which isn't great.
But as far as I am aware the cd works well and the recipient is
happy with it, (I bought it for someones christmas).

2.0 out of 5 stars cd, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
love this woman normally but have to say was not impressed, quite depressing!
would not recommend this album but give the others a try

3.0 out of 5 stars middle of the road, 23 Mar 2013
Rw Armstrong "warmstrong" (Basingstoke UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
Not my sort of music but wife likes it and keeps her out of my way, and it was cheap

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit maudlin, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
Some lovely tracks and the usual MCC fabulous voice but as an album its a bit maudlin, my wife says its a bit of a dirge.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›