5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Wonderful Discovery
I find this new album by Mary Chapin Carpenter very moving, beautiful and poignant. it is a wonderfully crafted and produced album from a great song-writer. I had not really listened to Mary's songs before even though she had been recommended to me by others in the past. I tended to shy away from what I thought was 'country' music. However the title of Mary's album...
Published on 20 Nov. 2012 by Jeffers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for manic depressives!
The BBC Review actually sums this cd up = "This profoundly personal album is unlikely to woo passers-by, but loyal, long-time admirers will adore it."
I only have 1 other MCC cd, 'Come On Come On' from 1992, which is a much easier listen than 'Ashes & Roses'. 20 years further on and the voice has become a little monotonous, the content more introspective (which the...
Published 23 months ago by Gandalf

4.0 out of 5 stars I hate giving only 4 stars!, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
As a long time fan of MCC, it goes against the grain for me to drop a star for this review.
Don't get me wrong...the album is full of lovely songs and fans will recognise the style and melodies immediately. Mary's voice is as perfect as always and the overall production is excellent.
However! Like a couple of other reviewers, I would have liked one or two upbeat numbers to leave me feeling happy rather than a bit gloomy when the CD finished.
I appreciate the story behind the making of the album but wonder if it is a bit too self indulgent?
The album will appeal to MCC fans but I'm sure that anyone listening to her work for the first time will find it a turn off.
Sorry Mary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving & reflective, 3 July 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
I found What to keep very moving. Memories of my own father. A collection of songs to really listen to in a quiet solitary time

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Ashes And Roses (MP3 Download)
Just a gorgeous, lovely album. I was introduced to Mary's music many years ago when a friend gave me a copy of the 'Stones In The Road' album. I've loved her voice ever since. This album includes a duet with James Taylor who I have listened to since the early seventies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashes & Roses - Mary Chapin Carpenter., 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
I really loved this CD - it was gente, wistful and she has a lovely voice. Thanks for a beautiful CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
I love the timbre of Mary Chapin Carpenters's voice. This album like all her others is about her experiences of life. Wonderful album, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars From The Heart, 18 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
She never fails to produce a great album and this is no exception. Mary is without doubt a great poet and musician who has a canny way of blending her life experiences into her music. This is heartwarming stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
Excellent, I've several of her albums, but this is her best ever! I'd heard it being raved about on the radio - now I know why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 15 Aug. 2012
David C. Topping (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
MCC's wonderful strong voice at it's best. An insightful and moving collection of material brought into being from personal experience. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dosen't get much better than this!, 6 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
I recently listened to an interview with MCC and Shawn Colvin seperately on the Dianne Rehm radio show after which I listenened intently to both of their latest albums. I recommend listening to the podcast as you will then realise what a masterpeices they are.Combining beautiful soft melodies with poignant, meaningfull storytelling lyrics that will touch your soul. Being a Father of 3 and Grandfather of 4 I was particularly touched by the creation of "Trancendencial Reunion", where Mary has skillfully taken an otherwise "mundane" experience of traveling in a plane, arriving at an airport, into a beautiful emotion touching work of art that makes me shed a tear every time I hear it. If I were to say albums don't get much better, it would be understating it. I am very much looking forward to her concert with Shawn in Derby in October.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the soul, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ashes & Roses (Audio CD)
It opens with a beautiful song about airports (that puts me in mind of the film Love Actually). The words 'beautiful' and 'airports' in the same sentence - that takes some skill to realise. The ascension continues thereafter.

I loved the last album (Age Of Miracles) but it took some time to grow on me. This just hits the spot from the start. I find it difficult to get past each track - there's just so much to drink in. It's a perfect combination of music and poetry, the intuitive use of pace to give each song its life is wonderful. For example, the seeming mundanity of tasks in 'What to keep and what to throw away' reveals itself to be the passage of time condensed into intense emotion in the aftermath of the end of a relationship - hovering between fragility, stoicism, despair, and catharsis. In many ways it's quite frightening to glimpse the abyss.

This album is evidently the product of much pain - it seems almost unfair that the listener can extract such joy from it, but I am grateful of the suffering that Mary Chapin Carpenter makes for her art. Another remarkable creation.

Ashes And Roses