5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and useful...
This book starts with what coeliac disease is and then moves on to how to survive and thrive on a gluten free diet, using the author's own experience and extracts from other coeliacs.

My only (minor) critcisms of this book is that
Published on 4 Feb. 2009 by Ian Reay

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
OK
Published 8 months ago by Rainbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and useful..., 4 Feb. 2009
Ian Reay (Hackney, East London) - See all my reviews

My only (minor) critcisms of this book is that
a) it is written from an American view point - so some of the ingredients used in the recipes are not available in the UK and the recipes measure quantities using American cups.
b) the author doesn't stint on mentioning her website, her other book and her consultancy work throughout the book.

However, I think this is a very useful book for anyone who has just been diagnosed as Coeliac. Buying Gluten Free cookery books just don't help with questions about eating out and having a normal life, which this book addresses.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to living with celiac, 22 July 2011
The best way for me to do this is to list the good and bad points.
So good points first
1) excellent introduction to celiac, if you have no previous knowledge - so ideal for newly diagnosed or for family members or friends
2) List of foods you can eat
3) List of foods you can't eat
You can copy both of these so you can carry with you when you are shopping/eating out. Extremely usefull even for those who are used to the illness.
4)Card to take to restaurants - again you can copy and print this, then hand it to staff so they know what they need to do and what you can't have.
I had never even thought of this - a very useful tool
5) recipes for lovely tasting food.
Bad points - and they really are just minor niggly points
1) as a previous reviewer mentioned author is American so references to food/products/companies that are no use to Europeans.
2) frequent references to negative attitude about Celiac, I personally had never even thought like this till I read the book
3) advice on how to hide the illness from new people....Bad, bad, bad!!! If people are going to come into your life then you shouldn't be hiding something this important.
4) recipes are a bit time consuming - I barely get time to eat, let alone make my own flour....
In summary negative points are just me being picky. this is an excellent starter book and an excellent refresher/summary book for the more established.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 29 Mar. 2009
This is a very good book and a very easy read. Although a lot of the information is what I knew already it would have been a great start if this had been the first book I had ever read on the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where to turn, 11 May 2010
Mrs. Lm Kirbyclarke "Linda K" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
Being new to Celiac I wanted to obtain as much information as I could. This is the first step to understanding and making Celiac part of your everyday life. I bought it I read it and I understand it. Good information.

5.0 out of 5 stars My account of the book, 3 July 2013
Being diagnosed with this disease is over whelming to say the least. Lots of info. about what you can and cannot eat. what to look out for when shopping and eating out. Also listed symptoms and explain what has happened to your body. Good self help stories. Glad that this was my first book I read on the disease. No-nonsense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (Kindle Edition)
OK