Colour Name: Charcoal|Change

A splendid little device - but not for anyone with a touch of OCD, otherwise you'll spend hours after you've used the GorillaPod getting each individual little link in the legs to line up neatly instead of all poking about at the most upsettingly independent angles.

I use my GorillaPod with a Panasonic Lumix FT5 and have found it to produce stable video results when on loose soil or wrapped around a fence-post in winds gusting to 20-25mph. It is big enough to handle the weight of the camera (something like 250 of the new-fangled eurogrammes or "g") and yet small enough to slip into my medication "man-bag" without taking up a lot of room. This is, if you want it to be, small enough to be a permanent carry. The construction feels to be of reasonable quality, although I suspect that for longevity some careful handling and avoidance of over-squeezing the legs will be called for. Mind you, the same goes for most things in life - I over-squeezed a pet llama once, and that was never the same again afterwards.

The GorillaPod comes with a "quick-release" attachment - a plastic wotsit with a metal screw fitting for the camera end, and a little locking ring on the tripodlet (a tripodlet is a small tripod, as here). The plastic locking ring does not inspire the same build-quality confidence as the rest of the device, but works well enough and does facilitate what it says it does - quick attachment and release.

We all think it but few of us will say it - one of the best things about this beastie is the way it looks in use; like some little three-legged alien with a camera for a head. As I say though, just beware if you're the sort of person who needs all of your ducks lined up military-fashion and neat - it takes ages to get each of the little leg joints back in a row after use.
on 27 January 2014
A lot smaller than I thought. I'd go for the bigger model for anything bigger than a mobile phone. Nevertheless, this is a genuine Joby product of good quality. The legs are stiff and strong. This is pretty good value.
on 1 December 2013
A really clever invention, this cheap device allows a tripod platform to be set up in a range of conditions, as the legs are extremely flexible yet stay in the shape they are placed, so there is no need for a level surface. The device fits in a pocket, so is ideal for situations where you do not have much space to carry equipment.
on 14 April 2016
Really disappointed with the quality of this product - the top mount became loose and eventually broke off - the whole tripod is now useless. I had BARELY used it within those two months mind. I love the functionality and idea of the product but very unhappy with the build quality.
review image review image
on 20 February 2014
Great little carry-around tripod for my Nikon Coolpix P7100, as well as the usual ability to wrap the legs around something. Now the P7100 is no lightweight slim Jim of a (compact) camera, but I'm pleased to say the GorillaPod supports it very capably with no evident sagging. I didn't realise the GorillaPods came with a quick-release fitting, which was a nice surprise. It really is a great little "carry anyway" item that opens up your photographic possibilities for quite a hefty 'compact' camera.
on 25 December 2013
This is an amazing tripod! Great value for money and you can put it pretty much anywhere! Brilliant product! x
on 29 December 2013
Clever little item i was very pleased with the way it worked on almost any surface not to good on bigger cameras but will always be good on compact, great item
on 17 November 2013
Bought for my nephew who was getting a new camera for his uni work. Works very well, twist and turn the legs to attach camera virtually anywhere. Lightweight and compact and a great accessory for anyone who is serious about photography.
on 26 August 2013
I bought this to carry in my bag for those times when I wanted to be in shot too. i wanted something small to hold the camera whilst using self timer.

It certainly fits the bill and holds the camera still once you find a suitable object to latch it on to.

It's finding a suitable object which I have found difficult. I had thought the tripod legs would be more flexible than they are, so it takes time and practice to create the right grip. That's why it has 4 stars from me, as I think the legs need to be more flexible and a bit longer. But it is a useful product.
So I had heard about the GorillaPod, mainly good things, seen the TV spots where the guy wraps it around a tree and remote shoots wildlife or some other such usage, I thought I would get in on the action.

This stand is a lot smaller than expected; about 20cm fully extended, the top disconnects from the legs with an easy-click button that allows you to flathead screw the mount into the camera (standard) and the legs are easily positionable as might be expected from a tripod with so many joints. However due to the lens-heavy aspect of SLRs the front leg of the tripod often needs multiple positioning before it will sit straight. Even after achieving this feat, the legs continue to settle and shift so that your tripod looks like something out of War Of The Worlds and you have lost your original framing.

One might argue it's a lot better if you wrap it around something, but given that it struggles even to hold my Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 up, I don't think I will be placing my faith in a £19 tripod to secure a £1500 camera...

Great for point and shoots however and anything a bit lighter than a full SLR.