5.0 out of 5 stars Best Anime I've Ever Watched
I have just finished watching through Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and I have to say, it is possibly the best thing I have ever watched- anime or otherwise. I've never before watched an anime where I like every single character- there is usually at least one character I can't stand, but not in this series.
The story is amazing, I won't give a summary or post any...
Published on 20 Aug 2012 by James ChaosShadow

3.0 out of 5 stars Great series, poor packaging
This is a great series with an interesting story, characters which tug at your hear and ethical problems you hope never to face. I would have rated this product much better if a bit more effort had been put into its packaging - I find bendy cardboard for box cases a waste of time as they degrade to quickly.
Published 13 months ago by Charles Tagg

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Anime I've Ever Watched, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Complete Series Collection (Episodes 1-64) [DVD] (DVD)
The story is amazing, I won't give a summary or post any spoilers, because it is worth going into this anime completely blind. I had never seen the first anime before watching this, but I did read the manga; for those who read the manga, the anime is a near perfect adaptation, very little is added or skipped.
The voice cast is amazing; to me, all of the characters sounded completely natural and reacted as I would expect them to. All of the characters have voices that suit them and just by listening, you can tell that the actors put their all into their roles.
While I am not going to spoil anything regarding the story; I will say that the ending is possibly the single best ending to any form of media I have ever seen. It is, in my opinion, the best possible ending that could have happened.
This is the first anime box set I ever preordered and when it arrived I was thinking that maybe I should have waited for the price to drop (£53 at time of purchase). Now that I have watched it, I can confidently say that it is worth every penny and is in fact the single best purchase I have made in my life.
I don't usually write reviews when I purchase things online, but I had to share my opinion on this amazing anime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey I didn't want to end!, 17 Feb 2014
Ahhh....Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm actually quite a new fan of this series. I knew that the show exited when I was about 12, but I never found it that appealing which was one of my biggest mistakes, because this anime is too freaking good to be missed out on! I watched it after wathing the first opening that I really liked and thought I would give it a shot. Anyway on to the actual review.(I actually just finished watching the whole anime for the first time 30 min ago)

The story is about two brothers named Edward and Alphonse Elric who lost their mother. They want to revive her to see her smile once again and in order to do so they use the art of alchemy. However it didn't succed, because of alchemy's first law of equvilant exchange and therefore Alphonse loses his whole body and Edward loses his right arm and left leg. They then take on a long journey to find the Philosopher's Stone to get their original bodies back. I don't want to explain anything else, because that would be spoiling the suprises, but I can say without a doubt that the story is really brilliant and amazing. The characters are all really really well thought out and I was kind of suprised that I loved the whole cast(which doens't happen often).

The animation quallity is really good. Studio BONES is my fav anime studio and they always make nice clean animations. The character design made by Hiromu Arakawa are really good and it's awesome that none of the characters look the same, but probs to the studio that they've taken Arakawa's design and made them come beautifully to life. The soundtrack is one of my favs and fits the show perfectly.

The voice casters...What can I say? The Japanese cast have done their job amazingly well. All the voices fits the characters and give it their all to really be the characters they are when their acting their roles. Romi Park is really good at voicing Edward and she is one of my fav voice acters in anime, but in truth everyone does the job splendedly. I havn't heard a lot of the dub, beacause when I heard it was Romi Park who was Ed I just needed to watch the anime in Japanese. But the bits I've tried in English dub sounded really good so when I get around to watch the anime again I will try to watch it in English dub.

All in all go buy this anime. It's a fun journey that's filled with homour, drama and action - I mean what more could you want? It has a brilliant way of making you feel sad, happy, angry and everything in between and you really want the brothers to succed in their quest.Even if you aren't an anime fan(I'm not that into anime but have watched a handful differen shows) you owe it to yourself to watch this. It actually made me cry on different part of the show which is really something, because I almost never cry(except the ending of Mouilin Rouge always makes me cry). I'm happy yet sad at the same time that I've finished watching the whole show a bit the same feeling the song Let it Out(second ending theme of FMAB)It was amazing and is my fav anime of all time. Btw I find that a lot of show in generel are ruined by the way the shows end(Buffy the Vampire Slayer I'm looking at you), but this ending isn't a let down at all I can tell you!

If I would recomend anything else a bit like this it would be Avatar The Last Airbender (if you count it as anime), but I feel that it's one of those shows I wouldn't want to end any other way that they actually did. Shows with endings that didn't ruin the rest of the show.

Thanks for reading. Hope it was helpful and enjoy watching the show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the greatest animated entertainment ever made, 20 Jun 2012
Anthony Horwood "Bruce" (Paris) - See all my reviews
I haven't bought this complete DVD collection yet, but I am going to. I already have it all separately, but want the whole thing, just because!

Summary: FMAB is the story of two brothers; Alphonse and Edward Elric. The boys lose their mother to illness, and they try to use alchemy to bring her back. This goes horribly wrong because they neglected the basic rule of alchemy, the principal of equal exchange. To gain something from alchemy you must give something of equal value. The brothers' disastrous experiment costs Edward his left leg and Alphonse his entire body. Ed manages to affix Al's soul to a suit of armour, at the cost of his right arm and the two maimed boys are left alone to study alchemy in the hope of restoring themselves to normality.

A little while later a colonel in the military, another alchemist named Roy Mustang, invites the brothers to become State Alchemists, an offer only Edward accepts, giving them access to the enormous resources of the military that brothers hope will help them to recover their lost body parts. The brothers set off in search of the Philosopher's Stone as a means to restore their bodies. Throughout their journey, they meet allies and enemies and discover the true nature of the Philosopher's Stone, and an awful secret plan that they must fight to prevent.

Review: FMAB contains that wonderful thing, a totally original, self-consistent universe different from ours, but familiar enough not to be off-putting. The characters are all distinct, fully-formed and convincing; you will love most, hate a few and not care much one way or the other about others. The story is brilliant. It begins in a relatively small way with the brothers travails, and expands into something magnificent I will not go into.

It's mood is finely judged. There's some light comedy, some tragedy, a lot of action and something to think about, and all the while the character development is gripping. The relationships between the characters are complex and changing, and the brothers grow up during the series, adding more levels. There are those wonderful moments when you see one of the enemy attacking the wrong person and you think "That was a mistake", because the relationships are clearly enough defined that you know retribution is on its way. A lovely example is Roy Mustang, the Flame Alchemist, explaining to a homunculus that has just attacked his 'dearest subordinate' how he uses one hand for macro effects like burning an entire room and the other for pinpoint attacks, like evaporating the fluid in the hapless homunculus' eyeballs. It is the minute attention to detail, all detail, that makes this special.

The graphics are excellent. I really like them for both technical quality and art. I have recently seen 'better', but that was because the goalposts moved, and techniques improved. FMAB still has 10/10 graphics.

I recommend watching in Japanese with subtitles. It's just better. The American voice actors did a good job, but it's just more characterful with Japanese voices. The voice acting is truly excellent; it's taken very seriously in Japan, and they do it very well.

As I said in the title, I think that this is probably the greatest animated entertainment ever made. If you only ever watch one anime make it this one. If you watch anime anyway and haven't seen FMAB, do so. It would be a complete waste of your life if you were hit by a meteorite before you saw it. When was the last time you saw a cartoon 25 hours long and couldn't stop watching, despite the fact that life would be somehow empty after it was over?

Do yourself a favour, buy this. It's not a lot of money for the epic adventure you are about to experience. It may well be the best money you ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 July 2012
Brotherhood is a quantum leap in graphics, pacing and overall story telling compared to Fullmetal Alchemist.
Every Episode is a Masterpiece all on its own, you wont have 1 Minute thats not important to the Main Story.
The Characters are ingeniously written and a really strong, rememberable Soundtrack finishes this Work of true Art.
This isnt just brilliant entertainment, but a lesson in life, joy, determination and friendship.

Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood, 22 Dec 2012
This is the best anime i have ever seen. Far better than the normal Fullmetal alchemist.
Worth Every Penny.
The Box Set is great, It has a nice cardboard cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars FMA Brotherhood, 19 July 2014
One of, if not the best programs I have ever watched. Immaculate voice casting, animation and overall production. The story is complex and gripping, the characters all had distinct personality and depth, and the plot twists were brilliant. The theme of the anime is simply amazing. This was the first anime I watched, I got hooked straight away, but now after watching many others it is still among the very best out there.

At first the price of £50 seemed expensive, but you get a lot of material to watch for the price, every second of it beautiful and enjoyable. FMA Brotherhood is one of the few programs that makes me truly cry, laugh, want to punch the TV and genuinely feel almost every emotion out there.... anime or otherwise.

Ten disks are included in the pack - with five slim DVD cases each holding two disks. As well as the actual episodes, there are extras on some of the disks which I thoroughly enjoyed working through.

I can't stress enough how amazing this is. Buy it - and enjoy watching this perfect piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could want in an Anime, 6 Mar 2014
After watching Soul Eater a friend introduced me to Fullmetal and I have to say it is the best Anime I have ever seen.
I was already aware of the original series but Brotherhood eclipses this to be come a even better experience staying mostly true to the original manga novels.
If your a fan of all things Anime I recommend you buy this and enjoy it....
Not wanting to give anything away I'll let you experience it for yourself all I can say with unexpected plot twists and characters you will love even if your not a manga fan this story is so well done and written.
I can guarantee you'll be hooked and if your like most people you'll have a soft spot for Edwards short Rants and Alphonse's caring nature.
All I can say is if you watch this anime be careful you may get hooked...
Enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Elric brothers are back, 23 Jun 2012
I have already seen the anime version of Full Metal Alchemist; this is the Manga story version which still follows the two Elric brothers in their quest to get back their original bodies after an alchemic incident but with a darker story. I think this is a great re-telling and adaptation, without taking away from the past production, although I feel Brotherhood expands on many storylines and with the addition of some interesting new characters which really add to this version. I think the previous review gives a good overview of the series as I don't want to give anything away because I loved the new storyline, but if you loved the original then you will love this too! Who wouldn't live the Elric brothers?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!, 28 Dec 2012
A brilliant series... I loved. I can't say anything else except if you watch Anime then you need to watch this series. It's quite possibly the best series ever out there & most certainly the best I've ever watched, period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best anime in years!, 9 Dec 2012
Never mind my favourite anime, this is one of the best TV shows I've seen in years. The characters are so loveable it was heartbreaking to leave them behind - but this doesn't mean it's a lighthearted show. It contains some of the most heartbreaking moments I have ever witnessed on screen, and a genuinely deep plot. And it still manages to have its hilarious moments. In my opinion it is far superior to the 2003 anime - and I loved that version.