Published on 17 Aug 2012 by Darkelf99

1.0 out of 5 stars Plague Lagoon Collection
A bag of dump is what this series is, avoid it like a plague as that's what it is.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. S. Riaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Lagoon Finally Re-released ! Neo Nazis ~ Triads ~ Russian Mafia, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
I hardly do reviews but I figured I may as well start with my first. Now a little about this anime gem , I heard about it a while back though back then it had already sold out everywhere so it was a suprise to see it come out again. This anime mixes alot of action and suspense with adventure from a mercenery perspective. The main character Rock is sent on an errand for the company he works with to deliver a package he knows nothing about but ends up having his ship hijacked and getting kidnapped by a merc company named Black Lagoon where his life changes forever as he has to adapt to living aboard the ship with the resident hot head Revy. The crew of the Black Lagoon all have there unique stories which makes the characters very likeable, the only quirk I have with this anime is that I wish it had been longer than 24 Episodes as it does seem short for how good it is being that it is 2 seasons long. The animation and dub was very good as well I thought but I'll keep it short and finish by saying this anime is definately worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anime the way I remember it!, 30 Sep 2014
S. Beddoes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
I used to watch a lot of anime. Back when it was a little less 'mainstream' (nothing wrong with mainstream, don't get me wrong!), only the wildest and most spectacular stuff got translated, so I was introduced to Japanese animation by the likes of AKIRA, Urotsukidoji and Ghost in the Shell, and eventually enjoyed stuff like The Guyver, Evangelion and Dirty Pair Flash.

Unfortunately the more stuff came out, the harder it became to find anime to my tastes. These days there tends to be a lot of high school 'ecchi' (risque) and teen-focused stuff dominating the medium. This is fine, but not for me. So my anime days (aside from the occasional Miyazaki movie) were pretty much done.

Until I saw Black Lagoon.

The wit, violence and action which got me into anime in the first place are all here and as strong as ever!

Highly recommended to anime veterans, and newcomers too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
This series is some of the best fun I've had watching an anime. Great story with great characters supported with a rare case of an excellent dub. Well werth the price and the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars too overdone and out of culture to be properly enjoyed. In many ways I was right, 3 Dec 2014
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
I came into this purchase on a recommendation, expecting the usual over-the-top Anime kind of style. I'm not a massive fan of Japanese animation, and I thought this one looked a little too niche for my taste, too overdone and out of culture to be properly enjoyed.

In many ways I was right. Right up until I was absolutely WRONG.

Are you a fan of the Godfather? Can you quote Quentin Tarrantino off by heart? Does absurdist comedy and satire do wonderful things for your think-box?

Then buy Black Lagoon. Nearly every spare minute is filled with gung-ho gun-waving and over-the-top explosions, coupled with regular interjections of the F-bomb that would make Robert De Niro blush. Part of the charm of this is in it's knowing silliness: a character is fully aware of the irony when, for instance, they fire a gun too big for their body. Anyone caught narrating about their weapon or pausing for dramatic effect is mown down in seconds.

Despite this, the stories manage to achieve some genuinely dramatic moments, ones that raise the question of whether it's better to be a free man in crime rather than a slave to ethical labour. The main character, Rok, is abducted by the titular Black Lagoon company, and his headlong dive into their world and way of thinking is pretty powerful stuff. Watch out for the ex-Spetsnaz Captian Balalaika and her team of Afghanistan-vet mafia agents. Yes, I know, silly, but they're one of the most interesting things about this show, and pulled off rather well.

On top of all this there are some pretty unique side-characters: Nuns with Guns, Vampire twins straight out the shining, and one very memorable Irishman addicted to crystal meth. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
I love the packaging and the show it self. Sound was good and the video quality was great. The only thing I dont care for is that there are 3 cases each with two discs. I don't understand why so many are needed, i do know that a dvd can only hold so much but besides that im glad i bought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very hit or miss, in my case, no doubt a hit, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
Black Lagoon takes place in and around the fictional city of Roanapur, based around Thailand. The anime follows the various exploits of the 'Lagoon Company' and that's about it for a plot. However that's all it needs, as the shows mini arcs are all different and each contains a variety of characters.

The animation is fluid and the music is incredible, matching the scene perfectly, whether it's a full blown gun fight or a moment of contemplation. In my opinion the thing that really stands out the most however is the dialogue, the banter between characters is amazing and you really feel a connection with them, this really helps to emphasize these already unique characters.

Whether you like the show or not is going to be up to you, but I would agree with the age rating, considering its graphic nature, bad language and dark overtones

4.0 out of 5 stars Join a white-collar pussy and the queen of F-bombs on an epic adventure to deliver bad things to semi-bad people!, 28 Nov 2014
Mr. D. W. Brennan "I love me some top-quality... (South Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
They finally released the entire TV series at an affordable price! Not really a thinking man's anime, but definitely a man's anime. Plenty of action, comedy balanced with serious moments, and a whole load of F-bombs. It's a classic in of itself, and is worth checking out, even if you might not enjoy what it has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont be fooled!!, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
The anime is awesome but the discs, covers and cases are blatantly copies. The cover for the second dvd was printed back to front and so has to be put on backwards, the first and second series both merge together on the same disc and some of the episodes started at the end of one disc but finish on the start of the next

5.0 out of 5 stars would recommend, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
watched with my son, really enjoyed it, so different quite a bit of humor and exciting would recommend to age group stated. ,

4.0 out of 5 stars i, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set (DVD)
Enjoy watching it, but it wasn't that great...seen better. But I will watch it again, maybe will be better second time, like some series requires for some (a.e me) .

Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set
Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Collection DVD Box Set by Sunao Katabuchi (DVD - 2012)