5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic scale, now even better with improved setup!
I bought the Fitbit Aria to track my weight and keep my progress updated easily. It seemed like the ideal choice as I already use the wonderful Fitbit tracker.

Out of the box, the scale looks terrific. It's very attractive and has a clear display.

Published on 18 Sept. 2012 by Danielle

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm not sure how smart this is...
Published 8 months ago by MP

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic scale, now even better with improved setup!, 18 Sept. 2012
Danielle (Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale (Sports)

I followed the instructions and began to setup the scale, sadly this is where I had some problems. Using my Mac, setup repeatedly failed to complete. Fortunately, I had my phone handy and was able to complete the setup from there (as suggested in another review). Setup then completed successfully and I was all set.

At this point I hit problem number two, the results. The scale appeared to be wildly inaccurate with the displayed weight changing +/- 8lbs each time I tried it. Convinced it was faulty, I was about to give up and return it.

Then I noticed my Aria displaying a message saying it was updating, so I waited.

Over the next day or two I noticed the Aria update itself several times, so I patiently kept waiting until it was finished.

What a difference the updates made!

Now the scale is consistent, accurate (only 2lbs different than the one at slimming class, and always the same difference), and has better BMI detection.

After the updates the scale becomes a brilliant product with loads of functionality, stylish looks and is consistent and accurate, though they still need to fix the setup problems.

In summary, a 5 star product which is let down a bit by some niggles.

**UPDATE** - I have now updated my rating to five stars. Late last year FitBit significantly improved the setup procedure making it much simpler; the niggles are gone and this is now a five star product :)
It's also helped me lose 5st since purchasing it :) x

5.0 out of 5 stars Geeky gadget but really cool and useful, 22 Sept. 2014
I bought a Fitbit One and got so hooked that I decided I had to buy the Aria scales as well and I wasn't disappointed.

The initial setup is simple enough - download a program to your laptop which runs and configures the scales - couldn't be any simpler really!

It did take me a while to figure out how to add a second user but it turns out you do that by going to the Fitbit website, going into the settings of the scales and then inviting another user there. Next time you step onto the scales it will update from the web and the other person is added.

The clever part is that if your body weights are different enough then it will automatically figure out who's standing on the scales. The only downside is that every single time you stand on the scales it uploads that record to your Fitbit account which if you're like me and track weight in the morning and evening causes confusion on the measurements. That is a very minor issue because you can login and delete the weight records you don't want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore bad reviews, this is good a product!!!, 28 Feb. 2015
I've read so many reviews on this smart scale with people complaining about setup being hard, not working etc etc... Let me explain what some reviews say
1. Setup is very hard and doesn't work? Hmmmmmm just unboxed it and setup within 15 minutes.
2. It didn't take my body fat %... Well I just had my first weighing and body fat did register and weight also worked first time.
3. Doesn't connect to my wifi and had to make loads of changes on my router... Well I can only say that this is an issue with your actual router setup and not the scales. Mine worked first time, but if your router is setup to only connect at say wireless n or ac then of course you're going to have issues!! Most routers are backward compatible so you shouldn't get issues.

The list goes on, but from my experience it works first time and okay I have weighed myself 4 times within 3 minutes and first two readers were 13st 3lb and last 3 were on 13st 2lb. So 1lb out so weighed myself again another 3 times and it was 13st 2lb.

I can only go from what experience I've had with this so far which is good, so ignore the grumpy people's reviews!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome addition to the Fitbit range, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale (Sports)
Really like my Fitbit Ultra, so when I heard about the Aria Scales, I ordered them straight away. Took about 2 months to arrive, but meanwhile reduced in price by £20!

Still quite expensive at around £100, (hope my wife doesn't read this!)

Quality is good, and attractive appearance.

It is very important to use these scales on a hard base, I have used a large ceramic tile. If you use direct on carpet you will get very erratic readings (in common with many other scales) The instructions do cover this. Once you have settled on a position, keep in same place.

From the WiFI point of view, the setup was easy, scales are in a bedroom and it found my router which is downstairs in a room on the side of the house, so a good test. Easily set up my wife as a second user,(you do this via the software on the computer to add a user) because she is much lighter than me recognises her straight away. For users of similar weights it suggests likely initials and you select the correct one. Computer does not even need to be on, as it all links through your router. Mine is latest Virgin one.

Have found the readings to be generally very consistent, did have a period of around 5 days when Body Fat reading lowered quite substantially, then it reverted to normal thereafter. At best this is only an estimate anyway.

Weight readings occasionally record 0.1 of a pound lighter in Fitbit than the reading on the dispay - hardly a major problem! Syncing is very consistent, perhaps only one in 25 fails to sync, but always goes second time. You need to stay on the scales until syncing has confirmed to get best results.

I have certainly not had large fluctuations in weight like some people report, I think some of them were probably not using on a firm base. Generally if I repeat the weighing I get exactly the same result. For consistent results day by day, always weigh yourself at around the same time, and bear in mind any retained body fluids etcetera can cause quite a variation in reading!

In common with other Fitbit products there are no printed instructions. You have to go on line to read them. This has the advantage that it is easier to keep them up to date, but some people will find this irksome.

Love the way it all integrates into your Fitbit account, and also any other apps you may have linked to your Fitbit.

I think perhaps they sould be around £25 cheaper, this may come with further sales, but also will be influenced by similar products (e.g. Withings)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm not sure how smart this is..., 29 July 2014
MP (Winchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale (Sports)
Setup for a single user was reasonably straightforward, and syncing with MyFitnessPal and the FitBit dashboard works well, but adding multiple users just simply doesn't work. It involves sending an invitation email to the other users so that they can set up a fitbit account, and the email process has been broken for the past few days. I'm sure it will get fixed, but a 5 day outage of an online service is poor to say the least, and leaves a terrible first impression.

The other aspect of the Aria which has me worried is the accuracy of the scales - repeat weighings over a 10 minutes show a range of weights (only by a few hundred grammes which is about the same variation I saw on my cheap digital scales) but the fat % calculation is different every time - even when the weight is the same, so I'm sure it's much use.

I expected better for the money so at the moment I'm not sure if I'll keep the Aria - currently thinking about returning and buying the Withings WS-30 instead. If you're thinking about buying these then I'd suggest checking the FitBit community forums first to see if the various issues have been sorted yet : https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Help-Forums/ct-p/product

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 5 July 2013
This is a beautiful bit of kit and would look great in any bathroom. It’s relatively easy to set up but please note that the process isn't a totally idiot proof. The customer support line (via email) is excellent – both helpful and friendly if you get into trouble. You’ll get there in the end if you have problems.

Be aware that the scales go through a process of calibration and software updates over a period of time before setting into a routine. That can take weeks and I can see why some users have ditched the scales early on. It didn’t bother me.

My major grip is that the scales cannot be moved after use without affecting the calibration. This means that if you stand them up or move them somewhere else when not in use they need up to 5 weigh-ins before they’re accurate again (according to the support team).

In practice for me this meant the first weighing was inaccurate – out by 5/6 lbs. I’m not referring to natural weigh differences during the day; when I put the scales on the floor after standing them upright and weighted myself 3 times in quick succession, the first one reading would be massively out.

I found this too annoying and sent the scales back. I think others tend to keep the scales in the same spot all the time and don’t have a problem or just weigh themselves twice.

I did also notice a software glitch with logging your weight (if you use stones/lbs). The support team told me they’re working to resolve that issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars A its heart a very basic set of scales if you ignore the wifi, 25 April 2013
Having read all the reviews good and bad, I took the plunge and ordered the Aria.
Working in IT i thought I would be able to set it up without issue. No such luck via the PC windows 8.
Having read the reviews I knew i could also do it via the a smart phone, and that worked.

Once up a running I placed the scales next to my other set of health scales I had been using.
Stepped on my old scales and got my weight, bmi, Muscle ratio, Water ratio and Fat ratio. Not bad for £40 pair of scales.

Stepped on my Aria, got my weight and BMI. They did match the scales I used before, but they told me even less information.
I know it didn't say it would measure my Fat, muscle or water Ratio, but neither did my health scales. And they are all worked out by the tiny electric pulse used for the BMI calculations.

What is cool and impressed the geek in me, is the syncing to Fit bit its just really cool and works really well and quick.

But I cant help think, that a part from the WIFI deep down these are really basic scales. They do less than my £40 scales and I know in parts alone it doesn't cost £50 + quid for wireless.

Pros:
Really nice looking scales
Accurate
Tells you your BMI
Syncs to FITBIT

Cons:
Expensive
Tricky to set up.
Very Basic Scales if you ignore the wifi
Doesn't tell you anything other than your BMI and Weight.

Edit:
Scales have updated the software form v28 to v31.
I've only had the new software version for a day but so far not good.

I stepped on my old health scales got a weight and a BMI reading. In line with my last weigh in.
Stepped on the Aria scales. Weight was .2kg heavier than the Health scales, but still close enough to not be bothered by it. However my BMI has jumped up 2% from the last time I used the Aria scales and from the current reading on the health scales.

Because of the jump in BMI i tried both scales again. Old health scales gave the same reading as a few minutes aga
Aria scales my weight went up by .1kg (now a difference of 3 from the health scales) BMI increased as well

Stepped on the Aria scales again weight went up another .1kg (difference is now .4kg) BMI increased as well.
Stepped on the Aria scales again weight went up another .1kg (difference is now .5kg) BMI has come down to the orgion al 2% increase

I did this two more time each time my wieght went up by .1kg so a total of .7kg who knows how much it would of increased by if I kept doing it?

Not impressed so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb set of Scales!, 4 Jan. 2015
Ollie "@Enemy" (Worcestershire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This is the second pair of these I'm buying, this time It's a gift for my family that's recently been bitten by the "FitBit Bug". I've had my pair of Black Aria's for just over a year now and they've been fantastic.

If you're looking to lose weight or even just keep track of your current weight I couldn't think of an easier way to do it than these. You step on, step off - Done. Your weight is transferred (securely) to your Fitbit account that you can keep track of on your phone, tablet or computer.
if you're one of these people who aren't interested tracking small increment changes and would just like to keep an eye on the long term these are perfect for that too, just keep using the scales daily/weekly and check up on your progress once every month or couple of months and the app will show a detailed graph of your weight gain/loss over a selected period of time.

I honestly can't recommend these enough, they're great for anyone and also fairly competitively priced compared with other "smart" scales that in my experience aren't half as "smart", helpful & easy to use as these are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me lose weight!, 24 Feb. 2015
I have been using the Aria for over a month now. The only negative comments I have is that the setup can be a little tricky if you are familiar with wifi connections. The other issue is that the scales just don't work reliably on soft floor coverings - eg carpet, thick lino etc If you intend to use it on these surfaces you will need to put some form of board underneath it so that the weight stays on the device and not absorbed in the flexible flooring. My first reading on hardwood floor vs carpet I lost 2 stone! Whilst desirable clearly not accurate!

Other than that it is a useful device and I have benefitted from using it having legitimately lost 1 stone since buying it. The motivation of seeing your graph improving on your smart phone works well for me as a non-gym, non-sport person.

The cost was one thing that made me think carefully about buying it but it is a well made, stylish item and given how it works and what it is tracking for you, on balance, I think a worthwhile investment in managing a better health plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars but integration with better services like MyFitnessPal warrants 5, 2 Oct. 2014
Simple to set up and use. Only quibble would be the limited use of text for instructions and user identification. When you step on without bare feet the display reads "BF?" and users are identified using only 3 characters. I would prefer to see scrolling text as is used to display weight. The FitBit app is a bit so-so, but integration with better services like MyFitnessPal warrants 5 stars

Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale