4.0 out of 5 stars I got lost in the silo
Life is good in the silo. The people are friendly, food is plentiful, healthcare is readily available when needed. Those in charge are democratically elected and take their office on the top floor. A skilled IT department keeps channels of communication open throughout. And the whole silo is kept ticking over by the engineers in Mechanical, deep in the belly of the Earth...
Published 22 months ago by Marie

3.0 out of 5 stars She went down the 9,999 steps, forgot the dog, went back up the 9,999 steps......
Wool is set in an apocalyptic future. In a world smothered in toxic fumes we are introduced to the inhabitants of a silo which extends over a hundred storeys down into the earth. A world where people are divided into castes according to their occupations. A world where survival is dependent upon rigidly enforced discipline, where transgression is punished by being forced...
Published 12 months ago by P. G. Harris

‹ Previous | 172 73 7483 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I real change from the re-hashed SF, 13 July 2012
Bought the omnibus on my kindle as 5 books for under £8 was worth a read. Wow so glad I did. The first few chapters I kept thinking to myself, "ah I can guess what's going to happen next"... I was so wrong. The story feeds you lost of clues about what could happen next, but it doesn't go the way you think it is. I read start to finish over a long weekend, finding myself looking for an excuse to read. What really impressed me was how well he incorporates the mannerisms and background of the characters in their speech and thoughts. And each time you learn a little more, you find out there's more to learn. I look forward to more in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 12 July 2012
Hi read the preview and was hooked, from a great short story beginning he does a great job of expanding and emersing the reading in the world of the wool and life in the silos I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good sci if tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Orwell in this excellent read, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a dystopian novel about a society that lives in a silo underground with hundreds of levels. The central mystery is how they came to be there, what are the uprisings and what is really outside. The society is kept under control with the threat of 'cleaning' where criminals are evicted into the poisonous atmosphere and clean the sensors before dying of contamination. But some people choose to go out, and this sparks a chain of events that may bring the downfall of the underground civilisation. Definitely a good read, with Jules the mechanic an excellent protagonist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wool Omnibus, 10 July 2012
This review is of the Kindle edition.
Years in the future an event has rendered the planet uninhabitable. Humanity is forced underground to survive, living in a huge silo, people go about day to day lives. The silo depends upon it. The silo is split into many different departments and job roles so for example their is a farming department who produce food, mechanical who ensure the silo keeps running, everything from working on generators that keep the power on to mining for new resources and of course there is an IT department who look after communications and monitoring the outside world. Hugh Howey is terrific at fleshing this out and the many characters that you meet are believable in their roles and it is very easy to grow attached to them, even those who do not play a major part in the whole story arc.
As there are different roles there are issues arising from this, those who feel they are looked down upon and there is a struggle of power between the different departments. Hugh handles these power struggles well and again written in such a way that it feels these issues are real and pulled directly from what's happening right now at your place of work in the real world.
What makes things worse for the inhabitants is the law. Despite everyone doing their best to ensure survival some want to leave the silo. Speaking of this is against the law. The penalty, you get what you wish for. The law breaker is sent outside. They are tasked with cleaning the cameras and sensors so those inside can have a better view of the outside. This has happened for generations. The cleaners always complete the task given but always die. They know they will die.
This is where the mystery begins, why do they carry out this pointless task and has anyone ever refused to clean. Has anyone rebelled against this culture?. Is there anyone alive outside of the Silo?.

This is an outstanding read and is defiantly worth your time.
I know I have not made the most coherent argument for why you should read this, so if I have not convinced you. Check out the other reviews and the star rating this has. There is a reason why this is one of the most highly rated "products" on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate. Read it., 5 July 2012
I really, really loved this book. Seriously, it grabbed me from the first page. I'm really glad I sprung for the Omnibus, because the story needs to be told in its entirety.

I thought the world-building was perfectly timed and the reveals well-placed. The characters were fully-fleshed, perfectly flawed, likeable when they should be, and not too over-the-top villainous (where appropriate). The prose was heartbreakingly good. Howey has managed to tell a story that really delves into the characters and how they see the world, full of small details that really draw the reader in. I liken it Margaret Atwood's ability to paint scenery and create a clear, solid, accessible picture of the book's world with the emotional reactions of her characters. Howey manages to do that, especially in the first 2 books.

This review is feeling a bit melodramatic, but it's really, really good. I can't say enough good things about this (these) book(s). I want more and will read anything else that ever comes out in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A selection of gripping stories to keep you hooked, 3 July 2012
S. M. Mussell "Chain" (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
I picked up this Omnibus Edition after reading something about it on a Techy news site, one of the reasons they think the Kindle is great etc..
After reading the first short story I was hooked although it took awhile to come to grips with the end, sorry no spoilers here!

I'm terrible when reading and normally have 4-5 books on the go at once, slipping from stories and characters throughout the week, however Wool had me reading one book and all of a sudden come to the conclusion that I "Needed" to know what happened next so I would put that book down and go back to Wool! These other books are great too, but this is not about them ;) So I found it rather pleasing to find myself completing the book in a matter of days.. I'm looking forward to reading more of Hugh Howey and his excellent Silo books :) Now I feel the need to check out his other work :)

All I all I was surprised by the work put into this and found myself chuckling at the ease with which things could be turned head over heels :)

One warning - If like me you commute to work by car I would suggest not reading this before setting off.. You will only end up pulling to the curb to carry on reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly excellent!, 28 Jun. 2012
A. Hewitt (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm very suspicious and wary of buying into hype surrounding self-published books, having read some absolute rubbish bought cheaply on a whim. The worst thing about reading 'Wool' is that I'm now likely to buy more of them, because this is absolutely excellent.

The way the story unravels, strand by strand, and the way it relates to the world Mister Howey has created, is a thing of beauty. It's an almost perfectly realised dystopian future, taking a familiar idea (a society locked up away from an apocalypse) and then running with it in a fascinating new direction. The characters are all well-formed, and Howey writes smartly be he dealing with either gender, and any age. It also helps that he's not afraid to make bold decisions, which I won't detail for reasons of spoilers, but mean you're not along for a cosy, comfortable ride!

So, bravo for this, although you may get fewer impulse purchases since the price more than doubled since I bought it. Still worth the money though, so don't be put off, prospective readers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 18 April 2012
Well written, gripping and in an engaging style which draws you in. Thoroughly looking forward to more work from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wool, 17 April 2012
Although I have never read a science fiction book I downloaded Wool to my Kindle on a great recommend from my son who reads a lot and raved he had to spend a weekend reading it all.
I thoroughly got hooked and even several weeks later still talk about it and think about it where generally 'the end ' means out of mind.
Please please more and hope the writer soon gets his recognition .

5.0 out of 5 stars A golden future awaits..., 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Wool (Wool Trilogy 1) (Paperback)
I'm a bit worried that I'm reading too many of these sort of novels. I've even started to research water purifiers and lay in a few extra bags of porridge ready for the apocalypse. This book was so good that I had to buy the sequel immediately, and am about to start reading the third in the series.

‹ Previous | 172 73 7483 | Next ›

Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1)