4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and economic trap camera
The first four times I used this camera I managed to film both a fox and a badger - wow! The camera uses both daylight and infra-red light at night. It can be set for still pictures of high quality, video sequences of up to a minute, or a combination of both - I find the video sequences most useful although the quality is not as good as the still picture.

I...
Published 15 months ago by A. H. Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware - Possibly Counterfeit Goods
I bought this trail camera a few months ago on the understanding that it was a genuine Ltl Acorn 5210A however several factors have now led me to believe it is COUNTERFEIT.

Published 9 months ago by Ambriel

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware - Possibly Counterfeit Goods, 20 Mar 2014
Ambriel (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acorn 5210A Wildlife Trail Camera, Covert 940nm Infrared (Garden & Outdoors)

Firstly, although the camera in the advert images shows the Acorn logo moulded into the casing the unit I received did not. Neither the camera nor the packaging show this anywhere. Note that no manual was supplied with it, either.

Secondly, when using the date/time-stamping option on images it prefixes this data with Bestok, who appear to be another manufacturer with a product surprisingly similar to the Ltl Acorn 5210A which they call the 8210A.

Thirdly, the serial number printed on the device begins with the prefix BTK and nine digits. I believe genuine Acorn cameras use a different format.

Fourthly, when putting the camera into setup mode it should initially display the Acorn logo. The camera I received displays a world map logo and, again, no mention of Acorn anywhere.

My particular order was fulfilled by the seller LG Supply and my Amazon order number was 202-3028712-8236338.

Don't just take my word for it, though. Take a look at Ron Bury's Wildlife website where you can find a report on this also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and economic trap camera, 3 Sep 2013
A. H. Thompson "multimedia man" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews

I have not given five stars as I find that sometimes it captures multiple video sequences when there appears to be nothing there, or occasionally produces sequences of less than a minute. I also find the use of the camera on a tripod a bit awkward in that the tripod screw is on the base and access door of the camera, and you have to set the camera going first before fixing it to the tripod and then have a put a spindle of some sort through the supplied hole to stop the door coming open while in use. This results in a number of video sequences of you setting the camera up or taking it down. However, with a 16 or 32 gb card this is not a major problem. An on/off switch on the outside of the camera would be an improvement.

But if you simply want to see what wildlife you have in your property or elsewhere, this is a jolly good buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective camera trap that works as it should!, 20 Oct 2013
KWren "KWren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:10 Mins

I wouldn't call this the best quality camera in terms of build quality, particularly the battery flap behind the bottom cover, and the technology behind it feels somewhat dated. However, and much more importantly, the camera works. Strapping it to a tree trunk, tripod or other object and leaving it running in our absence, it captures images or video of wildlife, prowlers or intruders, both day and night assisted by the side-facing 'prep' sensors giving a wide field of vision. It's simple to set up, does what it's supposed to and withstands torrential showers.

We've been using ours for a year, running it on rechargeable AA batteries - one set in the camera unit and a second 'backup' set in the attached battery pack fitted behind the camera.

If you have any doubts re whether the camera is for you, here's a sample video clip direct from our camera and I've uploaded a few still pics of a young roe deer to the customer images section.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three years on I am still really pleased with the results that I am getting, 20 Sep 2014
I first purchased one of these cameras about three years ago when they first appeared on the market in this country. A lot of retailers derided them a bit using the argument that I would get what I paid for, they were considerably lower in cost than some of the British and European models that were on the market at the time.

I am involved in small mammal conservation, British Bats, and wanted a camera that could be used to record their flight activities in a pen that is used to harden their flight capabilities prior to release back into the wild. Three years on I am still really pleased with the results that I am getting. The menu is simple to follow and set up and has enabled me to use the camera at odd times during the night and see the results with a date and time stamp. I have loaned it out a couple of times to other conservationists and they have gone on to purchase one. That alone, I think, says a lot for this little camera.

The additional battery pack means that I can leave it in a cage for some weeks. The sideways PIR detection doesn't seem to always work but that could be because I am using it in the confines of a pen rather than out in the open. The phot flash can also be a bit too strong in confined areas with the result that I often just get plain white photos where the flash has over exposed the area. The videos however have been first rate and have been a hit with other bat Rehabillitators. I am working on a way of reducing the flash levels for next year.

I intend getting a second camera for next year and this will be my preferred choice. A good little camera with nice features and a good price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Aug 2013
Mrs. Penny A. Tindle (oswestry) - See all my reviews
Does what it says on the tin. It takes pictures and video as set up. The pictures are clear and it is easy to set up

3.0 out of 5 stars Wild life entertainment, 1 Oct 2013
Our suburban garden is a busy place at night, seeing the characters that come and go is very entertaining. The camera has its limitations but used with some degree of thought it works reasonably well. the smaller fittings on the plastic case and not very robust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this model, 5 April 2013
Having trialed this model alongside others and I have now purchased several of these units and am using them professionally when surveying wildlife.I cannot fault it for the price, reliability and picture quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETELY HAPPY, 25 Mar 2013
I have been completely happy with my wildlife camera from Pakatak. The photographs the camera produces are very clear even those taken at night with the infrared. I had an issue with the camera but this was soon put right by the company at no cost to myself. This was good of them considering the problem was simply with the batteries! Pakatak's help was first class and very friendly. I would have no hesitation in recommending them as a company to deal with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing Buy, 26 Feb 2014
This camera did not function properly at night. Everything was pink. We wanted to use it for security as well as bird watching. Sent it back 3weeks ago and havent had any response from the company.£99 wasted a lot of money as we are pensioners

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good trail cam for the lower price range. Recommended., 12 Jun 2014
I bought this cam over a year ago and for most of the first year stuck with the still photo only setting. I managed to get mediocre shots of the back halves of the local cats and a few other bits and bobs. It has really come into its own recently when I started pointing it at the entrance of a badgers' sett and having it on video mode. Since then, with something interesting at last to film, I have started to get my money's worth (I bought it when it was £150!) and have some fun footage of animals going about their business. I'll finish the review after inserting this YouTube clip, that I hope Amazon leave in...

If the link does survive, have a look at some of the other videos taken with the cam. I hope you'd agree that the camera does well in that kind of setting.

Other points:

I agree that the cover to get at the batteries and card slot is a bit flimsy, but take care and it should be ok. Battery life is good. You get slots for 4xAA in the camera itself and 4 more in the extra part. When in action at the badger sett, my 16gb card filled up before the batteries ran out. I use 8x rechargeables - a bit of an investment at the start, but worth it in the long run. The relatively low resolution seems more obvious in still shots compared to video. I also agree with other reviewers that close up stills are problematic at night with the "flash" being too bright, but there are ways to deal with that (e.g. Putting the cam further away, trying different filters over the LEDs). Make sure that you check the time and date setting after changing the batteries. The cam does seem to remember it for a while with no batteries in (eg while swapping for fresh ones), but I've been caught out a few times where the date on my footage/images is wrong. Really annoying but not a fault of this cam.

At the time of writing this review, the price of this cam has been dropped to £100. I think this is very good value for what you get. There are better quality trail cameras out there; it would be nice to gave sound on the videos, for example. But for a camera for occasional amateur use, this one comes highly recommended.

Acorn 5210A Wildlife Trail Camera, Covert 940nm Infrared