5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a keen DIY'er who'd
I am a very competent Diy'er who is in the process of putting a new kitchen in and I wanted to add some sockets, move the cooker cable and redo all the lighting etc.

Published 19 months ago by R Warne

I'm a DIYer and have worked to IEEE 16th Edition regs in the past using the Onsite Guide. I'm about to embark on a house rewire with Part P building-regs notification so I need to ensure my work is spot on for sign-off. Rather than get the 17th regs, I thought it'd be nice to catch-up with version 17 with a bit of narrative to describe the more complicated sections...
Published 12 months ago by Fuzzyfelt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a keen DIY'er who'd, 31 May 2013

Whilst I always intended getting a qualified Electrician in to check my work, I wanted to do of much of it as I can, what's the point of paying someone else to channel out walls and run cables etc.

This book is perfect and I'm delighted with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential guide, 2 Jan 2013
Granted, a lot of this book is common-sense advice but it is vital advice. I find this book to be an essential reference for any electrical work I undertake.

2.0 out of 5 stars A truly terrible book on so many levels. I could've done better, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Kindle Edition)

This book was so bad that I requested a refund. The main points are:

* Typos, missing diagrams and formatting issues (could be Kindle version related)
* Unexplained symbols and poor diagrams
* Varying level of detail and assumed knowledge. Some sections are really basic while some are unnecessarily complicated. One section starts by describing what a Test Lamp is not but not what it is.
* Unexplained points: "Where fluorescent or other discharge lighting is involved, a factor of 1.8 is used to take into consideration the associated control gear" but has no explanation where 1.8 comes from.
* Absolutely wacky descriptions: Re: Insulation Resistance: "Insulation resistance, as discussed, is the resistance measured between conductors and is made up of countless millions of resistances in parallel"
* References to IET regs tables that haven't been replicated in the book

4.0 out of 5 stars domestic wiring, 24 May 2013
bought this for a friend who was about to rewire his house ,very pleased with it and he has got a lot of knowledge from it

4.0 out of 5 stars very clear, 21 April 2013
A good book plenty of information I would have liked it to be a bit more readable I dont like all the abbreviation they use all the time

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro for DIY enthusiasts!, 11 Aug 2012
David Nash (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
Purchased this to bring myself up to date with current wiring regulations without having to wade through mountains of irrelevant detail. Brian Scannlon does an excellent job of sorting out the wood from the trees, well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice technical book, 22 Aug 2013
Nice book with very clear diagrams.
Straight to the point in any case, focus on parctical way.
I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for anyone attempting to wire a domestic premises., 24 April 2014
Good book, lots of diagrams on how to wire circuits, so even beginners could have a go. Few things that were missing, for example I could not find information on socket and switch heights, however maybe it is in there and I have just not managed to find it yet. All in all I think its a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 7 May 2013
Although not an electrician I bought this as a guide to my DIY jobs

It is concise and allows me to plan well and get the required professionals as needed. Saving a bit of cash but I have added to my knowledge

Yeah, for me it is an excellent reference guide and I have expand my knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 April 2013
I have a few electrical wiring books, this is a valuable addition to that collection. Easy to read and understand, full of good information and a book all who dabble in electrics shown own.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›