Published on 1 Jun 2012 by Mrs Sarah Maxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither a winner nor a loser ...
Published 21 months ago by I Read, Therefore I Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended - even for boys that don't think they like reading!, 1 Jun 2012
Bought this for my 8-yr-old step-son on a whim, as he's enjoyed some of the Wimpy Kid books in the past. We read it together over the last two evenings - and I came straight back to Amazon to see if there were any more Barry Loser books I could buy for his birthday next week. The illustrations made us both laugh - and he definitely felt that reading could be fun - at last! I've told some of the mums up at school about it as I think even boys who don't generally enjoy reading would really love it. Hope it's not too long to wait until the next one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither a winner nor a loser ..., 4 Mar 2013
Barry Loser knows that his inner-coolness cancels out the naffness of his name but his position in his school's cool crowd is threatened by the arrival of Darren Darrenofski - ringpull throwing ninja, Fronkle-drinking fan and all around pain. Darren likes to sing `Barry Loser is a loser' to the tune of `Happy Birthday' and he always manages to be around when Barry is in an embarrassing situation.

Barry's determined to get back at Darren and prove once and for all that he's not a loser. To do so, he must enlist his best friend, Bunky and learn from his favourite cartoon character, Future Ratboy ...

Jim Smith's book (the first in a trilogy) is an amusing-enough story with some great illustrations that's likely to appeal to fans of the WIMPY KID books but it didn't have enough of a heart for me and I found the characters to all be equally unlikeable.

Barry Loser is an odd, geeky character, obsessed with the Future Ratboy cartoon. I liked the fact that he and his best friend Bunky prefer performing skits for their schoolmates (and I particularly liked Vending Machine Mum, which will strike a chord with many real mums out there) than playing sport and I also liked his closeness to his grandmother (who was easily my favourite character). However I couldn't help but feel that this was something to be laughed at as "loser" behaviour than a fun activity. Similarly Barry and Bunky do some pretty unpleasant things, the worst of which is tormenting a woman who lives near by for no good reason. The rivalry between Darren and Barry is well drawn and the pettiness highly believable and so too is the way that Barry and Bunky occasionally turn on each other and bicker.

The drawings are a lot of fun and the story unfolds at a decent pace. Ultimately though, there was just something missing from this for me - there doesn't seem to be much of a heart to it and certainly no one I could really root for.

As a result, although this book is perfectly okay, I'm not sure that I'll be reading on.

5.0 out of 5 stars barry amazing, 16 Aug 2012
Ms. N. Hall - See all my reviews
I am not a Loser is a breath of fresh air, the kind of light-hearted funny that 99% of kids would love. Along with some fab illustrations, the hilarious goings on make for a very enjoyable read (even for a grown-up!).
And after the umpteenth read of it, my 9 year old says...
"I started reading the book and just couldn't put it down. It was the funniest book I have read (I think ever) and I think it's better than any of the wimpy kid books. Barry Loser is my new fave, is there going to be another one and can I be in the film when you make it?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest kids book of 2012, 17 Aug 2012
Bought this on recemondation for my seven year daughter, starting reading it to her and realised that it is also fantastic for adults!
We both couldn't stop laughing so took a while to finish, she was able to read herself though so she read it again and I also read again to myself.
Illustrations are brilliant, funny and story is quick witted and so true to life!
Can't wait for next book, maybe in time for Christmas 2012? My daughter also wants a cuddly toy of Barry & Bunky!

4.0 out of 5 stars Barry LOSER book, 10 April 2013
This review is from: I Am Not A Loser (Barry Loser) (Kindle Edition)
This book is really good and I'm glad I accidentally bought it because it's really funny. I still liked it, even though I'm 11 so really lots of people should like. Definitely worth reading. I can't wait until I accidentally buy I am still not a loser. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loser is a Winner, 3 July 2012
I bought this book to read to my class of 8-9 year olds and they absolutely loved it. It works even better read by the children themselves as they can take in the pictures that add so much more visual detail to the story. Beware though, after reading it, your child may start adding 'amen' or 'ingtons' to everything they say!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 12 Jun 2012
I liked this a lot. I took my niece and nephew to a talk by the author and it really made them laugh. We bought the book, he signed it, they loved it and my sister says my nephew has already read it twice. I was very impressed. V funny with great drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep, this one too., 13 Aug 2014
I. C. Elsley - See all my reviews
My sister gave my son this "I am (sort of) a Loser" as a present. (he was 5 1/2 at the time) I read it to him and he has pestered me until we bought and read all of the others including this. It's too advanced for a five year old to read by themselves but you'll enjoy reading it to them. Think of Barry Loser, the main character, as the spiritual and updated little brother of Nigel Molesworth.

4.0 out of 5 stars rules!I am NOT a loser, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: I Am Not A Loser (Barry Loser) (Kindle Edition)
This book rocks! It was amazingly funny and very interesting. It really makes you want to read on! I give I t four stars.

Other books by this author are my mum is a loser loser and my dad is a loser!

4.0 out of 5 stars so keel, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: I Am Not A Loser (Barry Loser) (Kindle Edition)
one of the funniest, most adventurous books i have ever read, although there are some mistakes, but even the best authours do that

I Am Not A Loser (Barry Loser)