4.0 out of 5 stars Simply explained without being dull
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by Emily Hutchinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what the point is
I admit to having a bit of an understanding of quantum mechanics, but have struggled with some of the concepts so I downloaded this when it was free.

Published on 17 Jun 2012 by Clare Topping

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what the point is, 17 Jun 2012
Clare Topping (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum Mechanics for the Rest of Us but not for Dummies: Quantum Theory Simplified (Kindle Edition)

The first half of the book was about famous physicists that had contributed to the field of quantum mechanics, the second half made a few references to quantum physics. However, the main theme that I got from this was that the mathematics is hard, you won't understand it, therefore you will only ever have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics. Yes, it does have applications in every day life, but the author seemed inclined not to bother giving any detail about why it is important.

I started to wonder if the author understood less about quantum mechanics than I did. I am glad I didn't pay for this book and if you want just the basics of what quantum mechanics is all about you would be better off doing a general search on the internet and reading the Wikipedia entry.

I really don't know why this book exists and I would definitely not recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly explained and badly written, 1 Sep 2012
Fortunately I've already read several books on quantum theory and have a basic grasp. If I hadn't, I think this book would have convinced me I was incapable of understanding even a little of it.

Some of the examples were just plain silly - such as photons being much smaller than a full stop (period) - the largest cell in the human body (the ovum) is about that size, and a photon is a subatomic particle! To compare a "." with a photon is like saying a tennis ball is much smaller than the sun!

It's also badly written: sometimes sentences just don't make sense, the author's misuse of apostrophes is painful (its' is a construction I've not seen since primary school, and possesive apostrophes are often missed, and as if to balance this out, they're often used in plurals), the author refers back to things that actually haven't been mentioned, etc.

There are some diagrams, but they are too small to see properly and don't enlarge well

Don't waste time, never mind money, on this. It's unclear, confusing, and badly written. A reader who wants to learn the basics of QED and actually understand someof it would do better to pay out for something like How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog or Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply explained without being dull, 18 Jun 2012
I've bought other books by Beki Becker and liked the way she explains things is a chatty, friendly way that doesn't get dull and tedious, so I was keen to read this one too. Again I found it aimed at the right level for me, but again I'd say, if you already have a reasonably good knowledge of the subject then it's not the book for you. It covers basic concepts with some good background information about some of the most famous scientists.

I could follow everything in the book without getting too confused, the concepts are well explained in a simple manner. I didn't want to become a Quantum Mechanics expert, I just wanted a basic overview and I feel I got that from this book. My only complaint would be that I would have liked to have more diagrams and illustrations to look at. The teenage son of a friend read it too, and enjoyed it, so this could also be a good purchase for younger readers.

2.0 out of 5 stars A short simple book, 7 July 2014
This is a very short book with limited content possibly suitable as a brief introduction to Quantum Mechanics for a young person.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish don't waste your money., 26 May 2014
It was about 20 pages long. I wish I could beta refund. There was hardly any information and none of the diagrams.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good short guide, 15 May 2014
Marc Lawrence (Blaby, Leicestershire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
A good guide to the basics of quantum. Not too simplistic but basic enough for your head not to explode with the enigma of quantum, explains the basic theories behind quantum mechanics and their relationship to classical Newtonian physics

5.0 out of 5 stars the simplest overview of physical principles I have seen in a long while, 10 April 2014
I already have a basic knowledge of quantum physics but this book very simply. Places it in context with the wider range of physical theory and concepts.
Very easy reading and an excellent way to bring back into the current memory things almost forgotten too many years ago.

Frank Bedford

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 5 July 2013
I was looking for an insight into the mathematics of the subject and how it is applied. Nearly a year since I bought it so I cannot recall detail but it was more a tale of who developed it than how. I have not looked at it since my initial scan of the book. I wanted something more detailed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, 12 May 2013
R. Bailey (stowmarket, england) - See all my reviews
I thought that the explanaition of the subject was explained very thoroughly without being going too deep and for a non-scientific type,I was able to follow the information.Now makes me want to look deeper into the subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars QM ... OMG, 1 Jan 2013
Easy reader. Maybe too easy!

It would have been nice to see an example of a maths matrices.
I still enjoyed the book.