5.0 out of 5 stars Darker and better than ever.
Published on 8 Jan. 2013 by Sarah Sterling

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
DISC NOT FIR FOR PURPOSE AND A REFUND BEING QUITE RIGHTLY MADE BY ZOVERSTOCKS.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. James Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker and better than ever., 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The series continues and enters a more mature level of drama...The acting is amazing--Colin Morgan and Bradley James shine in this series--they deserve to win a BAFTA for this! The story is closer to the legend than ever before but there are many unexpected twists throughout...It was great to see Angel Coulby with an intersting story line this year. This was just part one of two parts of Merlin's final series...can't wait to see volume 2 and the final installment. I only wish they had continued with this show into a 6th and 7th series. I will miss it terribly when it is gone, but at least I will be able to re-watch it on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Christmas present, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Another present for my Merlin mad niece. Recommend this product for any Merlin mad fans out there to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merlin Series 5, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Delighted to finally complete my collection of Merlin DVD's that I received quickly and were as described from a seller that I can recommend. I am looking forward to watching them all again, but if I can put the family through (including my Hubby!) the ending again I really do not know. We all cries buckets the first time round. As a person who has a great interest in the Arthurian saga this series was a delight to see, combining stories from old to medieval tales and I thought it was very well done and the acting just got better and better through out. Utterly devastated when it ended. A huge well done to the BBC and all involved.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 5th and final series of Merlin, 9 Dec. 2012
KRB (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is an episode-by-episode review.

Episode 1: Arthur's Bane, Part 1 - 7/10
This starts of series 5 well, but it is not as strong as I was expecting it to be. It is clear from just the first few minuets in that the series has got a lot darker. It is set 3 years after the events of the finale to the fourth series. It has the return of Mordred and Queen Anis (two characters who have previously been in the show), it has a good cliffhanger than falls nicely into Part 2. However, I thought this episode was slow at times, and the character ''Sefa'' is yet another character who is a ''traitor'', this has happened too many times now, in series 3 it was Morgana and in series 4 it was Agravaine, it's getting old now. But this is still a good start to the series, and had a good ending that involved the return of Mordred, who has not been in the show since the second series.

Episode 2: Arthur's Bane, Part 2 - 8/10
This episode did not fail to deliver. There is a relation to the cliffhanger at the end of series 4, that of cores involved the return of the white Dragon ''Aithusa''. There is also an scene that refers to events that took place in-between the previous series and this series. There is a scene where Katie McGrath is giving her very best performance and this scene also shows just how much Morgana's character has changed. The episode has a very unexpected event that has a big effect on the series. Then comes a chilling ending, however, the ending of this episode is actually quite disappointing as it is one that has just happened so many times before. But still, I did enjoyed this episode.

Episode 3: The Death-Song of Uther Pendragon 10/10
I looked forward to this episode ever since I found out Anthony Head would be returning as a guest star (Anthony Head was a huge cast member in the first 3 series and had a shock ending in the 3rd episode of series 4 - ''The Wicked Day''). In this episode, Arthur is given a chance to speak to the dead, and he seeks the chance to speak to the person he misses above all others, his father, Uther Pendragon (who is Anthony Head's character). But little does Arthur realise that he does something that realises Uther's spirit so he can be a poltergeist and undo all of Arthur's changes to Camelot that he disagrees with. This is an amazing episode with lots of darkness, scenes that make us 'jump out of our seat', good pacing and slight elements humour that involves friendly banter between Arthur and Merlin.

Episode 4: Another's Sorrow - 7/10
Not as good the preceding episode, but not terrible either. It has the return of two characters who have previously been in the show: Mithian and Odin. The episode has humour, good acting and pacing and Morgana is getting more powerful. The downside to this episode was that is very slow and one of the most predictable episodes. However, it is still good and enjoyable at times.

Episode 5: The Disir 9/10
Whist again not as good as episode 3, it is still an improvement on the preceding episode. This is mainly centred around Arthur's views on magic. The episode featured great acting, especially from the three guest stars as The Disir, along with Sarah Parish, I think these actors are the best Guest Stars that Merlin has had. Unlike preceding episodes, this episode has a lot focused on Mordred. All in all, the episodes storyline is Merlin trying to stop awful events from coming to pass, but all he does is make sure that they do come to pass. This is a bit too similar to an episode from the third series, ''The Crystal Cave''. But this is still a great, well paced episode that has a chilling ending, which makes us think about the future of this series..

Episode 6: The Dark Tower 10/10
An amazing episode which is as good as, maybe even better than episode 3. This episode is even darker than the opening 2-Parters to the third and forth series. This episode is mainly centred around Gwen, who spends most of this episode locked in The Dark Tower by Morgana, there is also a bigger part for the Knights of the Round Table. The acting was phenomenal, especially from Angle Coulby's, her acting in this episode is absolutely brilliant, her golden episode. The episode has un-predictable events that lead to very un-expeced events and a great cliffhanger shaping the next episode.

51/60 - The fifth series of Merlin has been very good so far. Although, I must admit, I am not enjoying it quite as much as I have previous series. But this show is still a pleasure to watch.

The adventure continues...
''A Lesson in Vengeance''

5.0 out of 5 stars Pushing The Boundaries of Pre-Watershed*, 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
*Please Note, this is purely a review of THE EPISODES on this DVD, which I will be updating weekly, and then again when I have the genuine article.

MERLIN has come to the darkest part of the legend now, I've noticed, and It's not so much a family show anymore. In my opinion, this is a brilliant thing, as I much prefer the darker episodes to the light-hearted ones in the first series.

ARTHUR'S BANE - PART ONE kicks off the series brilliantly, and it's clear from just the opening two minuets that this series has got a lot, lot darker. However, this does not stop the friendly banter between Merlin and Arthur: "Is there anything you're actually good at?" - "Putting up with you!?" Very nice to see Liam Cunningham as well, after seeing him in Outcast, which I personally thought was very good, but it didn't do too well. Gwen seems to be settling in to the role of Queen very nicely too, even if a bit harsh. The episode, even though I found it slow in parts, was great entertainment, and really made me excited for Part Two. (8/10)

ARTHUR'S BANE - PART TWO continued the story, and let me say, it really delivered. Aithusa, Mordred, Slow-mo sword fights, Morgana going absolutely stark-raving MENTAL and a weird blue thing, I thought it was already a treat, but it was really the last ten minuets that got my brain going "WOW!" I know the writers said Mordred in series 5 would be 'complicated', but who's side is he really on? All I can say is, if it's Morgana's, then Arthur's in deep $#!% (9/10)

THE DEATH SONG OF UTHER PENDRAGON was an episode I had been looking forward to ever since I found out that Anthony Head would be returning as a guest. Arthur had done so many things to Camelot that everybody knew Uther would despise, and all these things are addressed in this episode, which I really liked, because, Paranormal Activity had NOTHING on it! It's one of those episodes that makes you jump and $#!% your pants at every conceivable occasion, and the ending - Oh, the ending! So many people were left shouting at the TV. We were SO CLOSE to the truth! Though, it can't be long can it? Please? (10/10)

ANOTHER'S SORROW was somewhat of a letdown after the first three episodes. Mithian returns, but she was a character I did not care for anyway, being thretaned by Morgana, who spends a lot of the episode under an ageing spell. There's a scene at the end between Arthur and Odin, but that's really all that stood out for me. And where has Mordred gone? I thought he was a knight now, but he wasn't in this episode at all! (6/10)

THE DISIR was a great, great improvement on the previous episode. For starters, the whole story is basically centered around Mordred, and since we have not seen him properly in action for two weeks now, this is a very good thing. This episode is slightly dark as well (though not as dark as episode three), and centers around the fact that fate says that Mordred will eventually kill Arthur, and Merlin spends most of the episode pondering on this. There is also a scene in this episode that really had me shouting very rudely and loudly at the TV, and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too. (9/10)

THE DARK TOWER is a prime example of pushing the boundaries of pre-watershed. A very, very dark episode that tops even The Death Song of Uther Pendragon - too dark for a family show. However, as I am the only person in my family that watches Merlin, it does not bother me. Another Mordred-less episode (again!), but this time, most of the screen-time is given to Gwen, who spends the episode locked in a 'Dark Tower' with mandrake roots hanging from the ceiling, which of course, creates twisted illusions of Merlin, Arthur and Elyan laughing manically, which even creeped me out a bit. The end of this episode was very unexpected, and in more ways that one. Something happens, but I won't say what it is in case of spoilers, but then, it's the last 30-45 seconds of the episode that really makes us go "WHAAAAAAATT!?" (10/10)

This series has been GREAT so far, and I believe it really has the capacity to be the best yet!

OVERALL MARK: 52/60 *****

GO TO MERLIN SERIES 5 VOLUME 2 NEXT WEEK (17/11/12) FOR MY VERDICT ON EPISODE 7 - 'A LESSON IN VENGEANCE'.

5.0 out of 5 stars What will be the next surprise?, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I liked a lot the 1st part of the 5th serie "Merlin" full of surprises and new developments. The good turns bad and the bad seems good. The characters are bobbing up and down in the waves of their desires, duties and destiny and we never know what will be the new trick of their fate...Their fates are the writers of the serie and they are very clever... I am Impatient to see the 2cd part.
In France, in university, I studied the old french langage with the roud table ' Knights. They are myths and legends that means they can come back in all times of history with the shapes, the behaviours and the adventures that we can appreciate in our own time. It is what did the BBC that, from my point of view, is the best in making series that enjoy kids and adults in a same time.
All along the series, I was always curious of what the writers do with the legend. I was often surprised and I liked that! For example, I could never have imagine Mordred like that! This charactere is a great "trouvaille", a great success. Bravo!
I dream of a spin-off for adults, epic and comic.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to see it end, 6 Feb. 2013
Dr John S Maxwell (Hungary & Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
We have followed this version of an old tale with great interest. Certainly it had more twists in the story line we thought was possible. The fact that they added to the tale was a very nice surprise. The ending was well done with the final scene created an opportunity for a sequel in a different time setting, well done. Not
Sure tHat the casting was as good as it might have been but it worked. If you have not seen it, do what we did each series we watched over two nights so the plots were fresh. Certainly would recommend it to those that love the Autherian tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets better, 17 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The production values, the little extras, are getting better (perhaps more budget?). Even the quality of the recording seems better.
The storyline is solid, although, I have to admit to being frustrated about Merlin still being in the closet.
I particularly like when they banter with each other. The lighter episodes are enjoyable reliefs from the high drama.
And I have got to hand it to Morgana, the original Die Hard.

I will keep watching as long as they keep making it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
What a great start to the final season of Merlin. Brilliant story telling and fantastic acting thoughout.
Highly recommended. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merlin, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Have followed the series on TV and have bought to add to our DVD collection. We can now watch them when ever we like.

Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD]
Merlin Series 5: Volume 1 [DVD] by Justin Molotnikov (DVD - 2012)