• Pure

Format: Audio CDChange

on 22 July 2012
It's no surprise to anyone who has purchased Solarstone's Electronic Architecture compilation albums that his own album would be of similar quality. This is pure trance, in that it contains not only fast club tracks but also some much more downtempo vocal tracks. As Solarstone says in the album wallet, he wanted this album to showcase modern pure trance, and it certainly does that. Trance is an emotional and passionate genre, and Pure captures this very well indeed.
I suppose my only reason for a 4-star rating as opposed to a 5-star one is that, personally, I would like to have heard a few more of the driving club trance songs in replacement of the softer vocal ones. But because of the inclusion of the latter, this album could (and should, given its quality), appeal to a much wider audience than just trance purists. It's basically good, thoughtful and emotional music. And despite this minor criticism, the vocals used are all of good quality.
This album will also be a refreshing listen to anyone thinking that classic trance is fading into the ether. Solarstone, via both this album and his compilations, is demonstrating that it is well and truly alive and fresh.
My personal favourite track is 'Voyager' - an absolutely stunning song with tonnes of energy that, for me, sums up what Solarstone is all about.
on 16 July 2012
Having bought Touchstone earlier this year and playing it at every possible opportunity, it was inevitable that Solarstone would surpass themselves at some point. This they did with Pure. Truly wonderful and an album that makes my perfect top ten. Hints of Pink Floyd at times and no title track that has to be skipped. Keep up the good work and hopefully it wont be too long before another release.
on 8 July 2012
A fantastic release from Solarstone, with the right mix of various styles, from the down-tempo 'Jewel' to my favourite trance track of the year so far 'Fireisland'. Not a single duff track on the whole album. This really is pure trance.
on 28 May 2013
By the third listen, cravings were established. Seriously high quality piece of work from Solarstone. Add it to your collection.
on 1 January 2013
He's done it again, this really is a master class in the art of turning dance culture influenced music into something genuinely next-level. There is real musicianship and strong songwriting here.

The instrumental tracks are, as ever, gorgeous sweeping grand affairs, anthemic but still driven by rhythm that is right at home in the most upfront clubs.
The vocal tracks are well written well recorded and the artists who have been chosen to sing are of the highest calibre.

Stand out track for me and the one that encompasses the entire feel of Solarstone is "please" .... The lo fi sample at the start of the track sort of says it all.... A pure expression of joy, a celebration of existence....
I just intentionally played this track at midnight on dec 31st with a fireworks and laser show up on a hill in front of a small unsuspecting audience.
Yeah, it worked....

Excellent album from a grossly underestimated performer..... Long may he continue..
on 13 October 2012
If you are familiar with the Euphoria Compilations then you shall already know that Solarstone has been around almost from the beginning of the Trance Genre. The quality of his music was exceptional then as it still is now. This project is not just pure trance but electronica as well with some amazing vocals and well written lyrics. Some trance can sound quite repetitive but here Richard Mowatt excels, he twists and weaves the music into a finely textured sounds-cape, he forms a three dimensional vision which takes you to an amazing world where just fire, water and air exist in perfect harmony, his music is truly beautiful. Dynamic, Inspirational, Textured, Ambient, Relaxing, Energetic all of these positive words describe 'Pure' and there are plenty more....LONG LIVE THE TRANCE SPIRIT!!!....more, more, more please Richard!!.
on 9 June 2013
I came across Solarstone whilst browsing Amazon MP3 downloads - And I'm glad that I did! (In my view, Solarstone's in the same bracket as Chicane, who I'm a big fan of.)

I bought Pure and Touchstone at the same time, and initially preferred Touchstone, as I thought the tracks on Pure were too 'obviously great at the first listen' - which for me means I'm bored/irritated by their sound after a few weeks.

Touchstone is good, but I just can't get enough of Pure; other reviewers have singled out good tracks, and for me they're same - Fireisland, Requiem, The Spell and Jewel. Plus of course Pure.
VINE VOICEon 10 October 2012
With more gears than a F1 car, Pure has you covered for whatever mood you are in.

82 mins of electronic genius, I can't think of an album from this genre that comes close this year (including Chicane). Hard to classify because it goes from trancey stuff through to dance music (with vocals) then on to some perfectly chilled out final tracks.

I've had quite a few 'What's this we are listening to?' from my friends and it's not a 'can you get this off right now!' reaction either...
on 23 October 2013
Amazing work, never ceases to enchant you. Fireisland and Please are two of my favourites, truly uplifting tracks. Highly recommend to all trance lovers.
on 12 February 2015