on 13 August 2012
Excellent Reading,Down to earth book,I Would recommend this book to everyone,Good value for money,I will be reading more from this author
on 24 January 2013
Actually thought the book was more about the town itself, when in fact it was more about the author who just happened to live in a quiet part of the town, who didn't go to school in Kirkby nor work there. So was quite disappointed although I was glad I read it.
on 21 October 2012
Really enjoyable! Funny, honest and humbling. A great journey to the past and the family values that were key to happiness. Everyone could learn from this story. I look forward to reading more from Kate Higgins.
on 5 June 2013
Wanted a story and got a documentry, unless you come from the area she is talking about you will not be able to see what she sees.
I come from Liverpool but, not from this places or these areas,she talks about, I found this book appealing only to those that lived and worked in the 1950/60's or from KIrby.
I got fed up reading about places I did'nt know and stopped reading it alltogether.
I would not recomend to anyone outside of liverpool Kirby area.
on 28 August 2013
I thoroughly loved this light, perhaps bedtime, reading. It's a long time since a book made me smile like this one did. Like other reviewers I, too, am not familiar with the places mentioned in the book but this in no way detracted from my enjoyment. I became absorbed in the life of this large, traditional family and hope that the resultant warm and cosy feeling returns when I read the next work from this promising author.
on 30 January 2013
I was born and brought up in Kirkby and whilst I moved South many years ago it was great to read about the many happy memories I have of my childhood, the author reflects it very well in her writing. A great read whether or not you are born in Kirkby a little piece of northern history for all.
on 16 October 2013
I enjoyed reading this book, it's reminiscent of the way I was brought up. it triggered off a lot of nice memories and had to laugh at some of the things my sisters and friends got up to- all innocent.....
on 27 February 2013
I enjoyed this book, brought back happy memories of my childhood growing up in Kirkby and my first days at work. An enjoyable trip down memory lane.
on 29 January 2013
grew up in Kirkby and still live there so loved reading this , loved hearing about the places that i know now and how it was built
on 10 September 2015
A truly marvellous book. Filled with memories of many a time and place gone by-I felt I wanted to be there in the book. Highly recommended. A truly pleasant read.