TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having read the other 2 books in Katia Lief's Karin Schaeffer series I was looking forward to this one. With the synopsis telling us that young women are being murdered and Karin and Mac's best friend Billy becomes the lead detective it sounded interesting. The last book in the series was okay, it was certainly readable but I felt it was lacking a certain something. This third instalment was only 368 pages so whatever the book was like it wouldn't take me long to get through.

It doesn't take long for the reader to re-establish themselves with Karin and her husband Mac. They live with their young son Ben and Mac is suffering from a serious bout of flu when Karin gets a call from their close friend Billy. Billy is the lead detective on a new case but is suffering from post traumatic stress. This ultimately starts the story with a more personal element and the crime scene seems to be secondary to this. However, it soon becomes apparent that Billy's attacks are more frequent and this leads to Karin's involvement in the cases.

At around the halfway mark, I found myself enjoying the book but it just seemed to trundle along and there was no real urgency to the story. I found myself getting irritated by the constant referral to Billy's stress attacks and this lessened the enjoyment somewhat. The crimes themselves could have worked out really well as all the key ingredients were there. We had murder, human trafficking and numerous suspects but it just didn't seem to gel together well enough.

The elements of the book I enjoyed the most was the main characters themselves and I think Karin, Mac and Billy make great key characters in a series like this. If the crime elements were notched up a bit then the end result would be a lot better. I certainly didn't dislike this book, but just felt with all the competition out there in this genre, there wasn't enough to make it that memorable. I will certainly read the next instalment to see what happens to Mac and Karin but otherwise, may well have not bothered.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Enjoyable. I've read Katia Lief in the past and think this is probably her best novel. The plot's lightweight but; there's a lot going on and the constant movement keeps the story ticking along nicely. The 12th Victim is incredibly easy to read, finished the book in a couple of days, and it's one of those novels you can dip in and out of without losing track of the plot. This is a basic police procedural with lots of investigation, bodies all over the place, and the typical cat and mouse chase which seems to ensue in every Katia Lief novel. The character of "The Working Girl Killer" isn't too real, I struggled to believe in him, and there's no real darkness or violence considering the subject matter. Very typical of this genre, nothing special, and it's a case with Katia Lief that if you've read one of her novels you're not going to be surprised by any of the others, they do follow a tried and tested format. The 12th Victim is a well written and entertaining read though never challenging.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Katia Lief's third book in the Karin Schaeffer series picks up neatly from where Hide and Seek finished. Billy Staples, friend and fellow detective, is recovering from the injury and trauma suffered at the hands of his girl friend but is trying to keep himself together. A mysterious telephone call from Billy summons Karin to the scene of both a hit and run accident involving a young girl, Abby and the murder of a prostitute, the eleventh such murder in both Brooklyn and Manhattan during the previous two years. Abby, a potential witness to the latest killing, emerges from an induced coma but cannot - or will not - speak. It is left to Karin, still recovering from her own trauma, to both help Billy to catch the killer and coax Abby to tell her what has happened.
Lief has the gift of creating central characters who are both believable as police men and women and as ordinary people with private lives, families and homes. Her attention to detail, at times a little too involved it has to be said, can help the reader to understand what is happening to the character and why that character is acting in a particular way. The plot is steadily paced with very few sudden jolts and the whole book is very easy and credible to read. Ms Lief will never win any crime writers' awards with this gentle pace of detection but she makes up for this by making her characters both plausible and likeable.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my first book by Katia Lief. The book gives quite a few sudden shockwaves for those of us adrenaline junkies, and overall a quite enjoyable read. The narrative is well crafted and suspense is like `live current' throughout many chapters. The main character - Karin Schaeffer - is richly moulded and, I am sure that most people will identify with her character. The ending is slightly disappointing, as it is rather predicable and fans of this type thriller will find the ending all too familiar.
on 24 September 2012
This is the third Katia Lief book I have read and if I am brutally honest she's not the best author I have read. However, having said that, if you are looking for a 'not too heavy' read then she is entertaining and I did find I wanted to finish the book to see what happens, and I wouldn't say no to reading another of her books. I'd rate her as 3 out of 5 for her books.
This is the third book to feature the returning characters of Karin Schaeffer and her husband Mac and I think that it is much better than the second one. Mac has 'flu so when their police detective friend Billy calls them for help Karin goes to meet him at the scene of a local crime. A young woman has been killed by a serial killer that Billy has been after for some time. It soon becomes more complex involving a girl in a coma and the death of someone close to Karin.

This is a competent, enjoyable serial killer novel with sympathetic main characters. Some of the coincidences are a bit hard to swallow as is the idea that Karin would have access to crime scenes, etc. in the way that she does but what works well is the juxtaposition of the domestic life with the crimes. There is also a sub plot about a friend and her daughter which adds a bit of depth to the story.

You don't have to have read the first two books in this series to enjoy this one. It is fast moving and well enough written to be very enjoyable.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first Katia Lief novel I have read although it is her third novel.
As I enjoy murder mysteries I lapped this up - to my mind it is more murder
mystery than thriller.

This is an enjoyable tale expertly written and keeps up the pace right through -
It centres on a serial killer dubbed 'the working girl killer' who is causing
chaos on the streets of New York.

P.I Karin Schaeffer is involved in trying to help with the investigation in the
hunt for the killer. The characters are all key to the plot and whilst I read
this as a stand alone novel I think if you have read her previous novels you
would have a broader understanding of them. I would love to get to know the
characters of Karin, Mac and Billy better so I am going to get the two novels
previous to this one.

This is a good read with a few twists that I did not see coming.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is the third of author Katia Lief's novels about Karin Schaeffer - an investigator. The story is about a serial killer who has targeted prostitutes for the past three years and the 11th victim is found close to where Karin lives on the same night that another serious crime is committed. Karin, her husband Mac and their close friend and investigating detective, Billy, believe the two incidents may be linked and begin their search.

This is the second Katia Lief book that I have read but the first Karin Schaeffer novel - the book does stand alone and I didn't feel I should have read the other two first. I had previously read Five Days to Die (a stand-alone novel) which I thought was brilliant so was really looking forward to this one, however, whilst it was a good read and I wanted to know how it all turned out, it lacked something and wasn't quite up to my expectations.
on 10 January 2014
This is the 3rd book in the Karin Schaeffers story's
Karin and Mac have a a house keeper called Chali to help look after there son Ben, while both of them do the PI work,she is saving money so that her daughter Dathi can Come to live in the States
Billy who you remember from the last book getting shot is having flash backs of the shooting and he calls Mac, but Mac has flu and so Karin goes to see to him and while there a young girl has been hit by a car and another working girl had been killed.
The young women are all prostitute at the same time the young girl family is dead and Chali worked from the once babysitting. she tries to tell Karin but never got to tell her, the next day she dont turn up for work and karin waits and then goes to find her only to find her dead.
This book as lots of twist and turns to it and you wont be able to put the book down
on 23 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was quite well written. It is quite a fast paced read and the author does a reasonable job in sketching out and differentiating the various characters.

A lot of it centres on various domestic dramas and the crime element seemed secondary for much of the book.

I think that it suffers because of this. There just isn't enough real tension. Things are set in motion but then resolved too easily. It is quite simplistic and a few of the people in it are quite frankly ridiculous.

For all its faults I didn't mind this too much. It is all quite professionally and proficiently done.