This is small funky looking device that has provided a fantastic boost to my existing Virginmedia broadband Wi-Fi hub. I set the Asus up by tethering it to my PC and using the set up wizard via the internet. It was very simple.

Published 17 months ago by Paul Stevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, lacking in places
This wireless Ethernet is designed to extend the Internet connectivity capability of your home via three different methods which I have described below:

1. Connect wired-only devices to your existing wireless network:
Published 24 months ago by Darren Simons

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up as a Wi-Fi extender with great signal strength, 14 Dec. 2013
Paul Stevens "pas23199" (St Albans, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS EA-N66 WLAN Ethernet Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n Dual-Band 300 Mbps) for WPA2, Windows, Linux and MAC OS (Accessory)

I set the Asus up in "repeat" mode, so it is connected to the internet via my existing Wi-Fi signal and then acts as an access point at the front of the house (my broadband connection being at the back of the house). Despite the Asus being 30 feet away, the Asus is so good that its signal strength at the back of my house is greater than my Virginmedia hub (unless I am in the same room as the Virginmedia hub). Unlike my Virginmedia hub, the signal strength doesn't drop out either. I can recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great once set-up, 30 July 2014
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a few of these wireless range extenders with varying degrees of success. I was therefore hopeful, but somewhat skeptical about this product.

My first impression was that I was surprised at just how compact this item it. Arriving in a box smaller than most smartphones, there is very little extra empty space holding only the device itself, a cable, and the usual literature. The device itself has a nice glossy diamond finish on the front with a small bar running across the bottom, as well as a couple of socket on the right side (when plugged in).

I is perhaps slightly more complicated than some to set up, with one option requiring you to go to a specific web page amd connect via the browser. While this is a bit more effort than a lot of other extenders, it does offer the ability to see just how strong the signal is and has a walk-through explaining the basics of setting the device up. The alternative set-up option uses WPS which is very simple for most modern router/hubs, with a couple of button presses to get the whole thing working.

In terms of performance, this is definitely one of the better ones I've used. It gives a much more consistently high speed. It manages to maintain its connection with the router/hub, which is an improvement on a TP-Link one I've used in the past, and manages to extend the range to a decent distance, in my case, upstairs.

All-in-all, I simply can't fault this product. It is easy to connect and offers a couple of options to establish a connection. It provides good speed, and extends the range of my Wi-Fi throughout the house, which is exactly what it is supposed to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding performance and wireless coverage for a small device, 4 Nov. 2014
I purchased the Asus RP-N53 to improve wireless coverage in another part of my home. My existing wireless router, also an Asus device was not providing adequate signal strength on 5Ghz and at 2.4Ghz, signal strength was acceptable but could certainly have improved.

This review will get a bit technical, but the short version of it is that this provides outstanding performance and wireless coverage for such a small device. The LED indicators which can be turned on or off by simply touching the front of the unit provide an immediate status of signal strength back to the primary wireless access point and the unit build quality is good.

The Asus RP-N53 exceed all expectations I had in terms of performance. It can connect back to a wireless access point on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. The incredible thing about this unit is that typically you would need to position it half way between your weak spot and your router in order for a suitable signal between your wireless access point and repeater to be established, however I put this directly in the weakest spot in the house and it still maintained maximum signal strength back to the wireless access point on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.

I reconnected my wireless devices to the new repeater AP and where I was previously only achieving speeds of 1mbit (on 5Ghz), to my wireless access point, this was boosted to in excess of 80mbit on the 5Ghz SSID set-up on the RP-N53. That being said, the wireless access point on other routers may well be much better the rather poor performance my wireless router provides over longer distances.

The RP-N53 can operate as a repeater or an access point. Repeater mode is the primary feature but as an access point it can be plugged into any wired LAN to create a wireless network.

In repeater mode, it is important to note that you are prompted to create new SSIDs. In other words, your wireless devices will see two wireless networks, your existing wireless access point SSID and a new one that you will create on the RP-N53. Some devices will automatically connect to the wireless network providing the strongest signal, but you may find the need to manually disconnect from one wireless SSID and connect to another.

In repeater mode, the RP-N53 can use an in-built DHCP server, which it attempts to do by default, or you can disable it and just use the DHCP server provided by your existing router. Disabling the DHCP server on the RP-N53 is helpful as it keeps all your devices in the same IP address range. With this repeater, screen casting (e.g. connecting your Android phone to a ChromeCast or Smart TV) works flawlessly even if your ChromeCast or Smart TV is connected to one SSID (e.g. one provided by your wireless router) and your other wireless device is connected to the SSID being broadcast by the RP-N53.

The unit has a light on the underside that can be used as a night light as well as a number blue LED indicators. These can all be enabled or disabled by touching the front panel. The affect of touching the front panel (i.e. which LEDs should be turned off and on) can be configured by the web interface on the RP-N53.

In summary, this device dramatically improved my wireless coverage, the extent of the improvement was a surprise. It offers some other handy features and is relatively easy to set-up for those who aren't too technical, although it doesn't provide too many advanced settings for those who are more technical. Overall the unit build quality is good and it looks quite smart.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, lacking in places, 30 May 2013
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

1. Connect wired-only devices to your existing wireless network:
Perhaps you have a TV with Internet access, or a PVR or a Sky box and want their Anytime service. Since these systems only support wired access (they have a rectangular socket for an RJ-45 connector) you need a way of physically connecting that to your network. If your network is elsewhere (and often it will be a wireless network residing near your master phone socket or similar) then you would otherwise have to have a wire running round your home and making a mess. This router is able to connect via your existing wireless network and then allow a device to connect to the Ethernet port on the router. If you want to connect more devices you can add a LAN switch or hub to further extend it (often to 4 or 8 devices). Therefore the only physical wire (apart from mains power) is between the router and your device to be connected.

2. Connect a new wireless network to your existing wired network:
This is the main use I have for this product and will describe my thoughts further down. The idea is simple. You have an existing wired network (perhaps a BT HomeHub router, or other equivalent broadband or cable based network) which either does not have a wired network, or comes with a wireless network which is poor. The idea here is that you connect an Ethernet cable to between your existing router and this router and you can configure the Asus router as a new wireless network. I did this because my existing wireless router has poor range and doesn't support the latest wireless technology (technically called 802.11n which is the fastest wireless technology for home use, supported by most smartphones and laptops now, but not my old wireless router).
One point to keep in mind here though - if you are only using an existing wireless router to access the Internet it may not be worth upgrading to the latest technology. One of the main advantange of 802.11n is that it has much higher bandwidth varying from 50Mbit/sec to 600Mbit/sec, whereas 802.11g (the previous technology) goes up to 54Mbit/sec. If your Internet connection is say 30Mbit/sec (a basic BT Infinity or cable line would be of this scale) then having the better router won't improve that performance (it will improve other problems potentially such as interference from other devices though).

3. Extend an existing wireless network by improving the range:
You can also use this device to extend an existing wireless network which is a sort of combination of the two concepts above... it connects to an existing wireless network and using the same identifier (I think) it lets you reach that wireless network in places you could not to previously. This would be useful if, for example, your main wireless router is in your hallway but you want to access the Internet from the garden - put the router towards the back of the house and you should be able to use this for that.

In terms of installation, the documentation it comes with is hopeless. It doesn't even explain how to get started via each of the three modes above. Online documentation does help, although in fairness if you are able to connect to the router and start on the installation wizard it's all very well explained from then on. You can get started by switching the router on and finding the wireless network it sets up by default and then following instructions (you load up the web browser and it automatically finds the router a bit like accessing the Internet from a hotel room), or connect an Ethernet cable between a PC and the router and start that way. You don't have to do this where you plan the router to physically sit in the future - it's just to get the setup going. For wired connection, ensure you have DHCP enabled (so that it automatically works out what to do) and you should be fine.

The setup wizard is really good - select your mode and there's lots of options (including configuring the wireless signal strength). I've had a play with most of the features and I'm generally impressed, albeit with two big caveats.

The version I received (admittedly a review version) had the firmware from early 2012 and seems to have various issues (more of that in a moment). Checking the Asus website there has been 5 versions since so I'm disappointed Asus couldn't have sent out kit which I am assuming to be newer than early 2012 with more recent firmware. In theory the firmware upgrade is simple - download the ZIP file from the Asus website, uncompress it and follow the instructions on the Asus router's web interface to upgrade it. For some reason I couldn't extract the ZIP file on my PC and was only able to do so on a Linux machine... it's not a problem I've ever seen before although no-one else seems to have mentioned it so maybe it was me.

My biggest issue though is the version I have still seems to have an issue - Using the router as a new wireless network (option 2 above) I want to set the IP address of the router myself as well as the DNS servers (primary and secondary). In fairness this is an advanced feature and most users won't bother with it (if you don't know what I mean here please skip this paragraph and don't let it count against purchasing this product). Whatever I set the DNS server to, it seems to ignore it and instead sets the DNS server as the gateway for the router (which is also the secondary DNS server). This is a pain as I have a caching DNS server which also manages internal host names - this means I can't use this capability via this wireless network... installing the latest firmware hasn't fixed it.

Given the price and the claims of being the answer to all wireless network problems and yet not doing what I actually want I find myself wanting to give 3.5 but since I can't give half points I'm rounding this one down.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problem after 2 years still going strong., 12 Aug. 2014
Have been using this product for two years now and still works like a charm.

I bought it when building starting back to College as my desktop didn't have a wireless card and I needed this to connect to wireless internet in the house I was renting. I have always had perfect signal using this device when I have been in various rooms ranging from directly above the room with router to opposite end of house.

The only problem I ever had was at first I used to notice a brief 5-10 second drop in connection every 30-40 minutes or so. This would dc me from online games and was quite frustrating at first. In the end I found out the problem was from some auto refresh withing the router supplied by my ISP (a normal thing so it might occur for you too). The solution is simple however, all you have to do is set up a static IP address for yourself. It's a pretty straightforward procedure - takes a minute or two and you can find plenty of YouTube videos on how it's done.

I hope that helps anyone else who may encounter the issue. As said the device itself has served me well from there on also the API for device setup is very nicely setup and easy for anyone to navigate, I personally recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Please, clearer instructions. we are not all computer geeks!, 10 May 2014
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Is it just me that has trouble connecting up these divides. I had high hopes. Only one connector and the instructions looked easy. Followed the instructions and.....went to the webpage ...or rather it didn't. Ok lets try something else I thought and went to the Asus product page. great its there and FAQ how to connect. Now we are in business different instructions, more detailed and I am linking it in. Big smile...then 99% installation...and no more.

Think I might relocate my computers to the same room as the souter and use an ethernet cable....YAWN.

Update. After the "fun" in installing the range extender, it is working well. Giving it a 3 now but please get better installation instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great multifunctional wireless range extender, 17 Oct. 2013
Alien937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Asus's RP-N53 is basically just a dual-band range extender, or wireless repeater, though it does have a few bells and whistles that lift it above the average device of its type - namely, an Ethernet port, a 3.5mm audio-out port, and a touch-sensitive night light.

The RP-N53 is small, nicely-built and easy to set up: just plug it in close to your router, connect to its default wireless network, configure it using its browser-based interface (or use WPS), and then move it to a halfway point between your router and the area where you need improved wireless coverage. The device produces two new wireless network names with the suffixes _RPT (for the 2.4GHz band) and _RPT5G (for the 5GHz band). You must connect to one of these if you want to see any improvement over your existing wireless connection to your router.

It's fairly well known that wireless range extenders are inefficient methods of extending a network compared to other options on the market (particularly Powerline adapters with built-in Wi-Fi), but the RP-N53 performs remarkably well. It's fast enough for HD video streaming, and it doesn't break a sweat when streaming audio to its audio-out port. This audio function is limited to Asus's AiPlayer app for Android and iOS devices; it would have been nice if it was compatible with Apple's AirPlay, but I suppose you can't have everything. The built-in LED night light gives off a subtle glow that illuminates the wall beneath the device; it's a nice addition, and the touch-sensitive panel that's used to activate it also switches the audio output on and off.

With the RP-N53 Asus has come up with a well-designed, multifunctional method of extending your wireless network, one that's particularly desirable for wherever Powerline adapters are impractical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great high quality units. Firmware update really improved the configuration options., 21 Oct. 2014
My main use of these is to boost my 5Ghz network to reach all the rooms in the house. I bought 2 of these units one to cover the upstairs rooms, one to cover the garden. Signal strength indicators on the front help you locate them effectively and the built-in night light is a nice little touch.

The ones I received needed a firmware update out of the box which was easy, it improved functionality/options to optimise the networks. Within a few minutes I had configured both the 2.5 and 5Ghz networks. In the weeks since I installed them they've worked great, no issues and my kids can now use FaceTime seamlessly on their iPads all around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup, so many uses!, 10 Jun. 2013
Gadget Man (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This fantastic little device has so many uses and is so easy to setup that I'm sure a trained monkey could do it.

First off you've got repeater mode - simply scan for wireless networks, connect to your existing one and let the gizmo reboot and you've got a range extender that's super fast.

Then you've got access point mode - connect with a cable to your network and follow the wizard and you've created a wireless network.

Finally you've got ethernet adapter mode - again, follow the wizard and connect to your existing wireless network. You can then connect a non-wifi enabled device with a network cable to the N66 and you've got access to the internet and your network.

There's a very cool blue light which can be dimmed or turned off altogether and wall mounting holes on the back.

I've had this for a couple of months now and have had occasion to use it in each mode on several occasions and each time it just works flawlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for Sky On Demand, 21 Dec. 2012
Used this to connect my Sky HD box to the router as the Sky supplied wifi adaptor was dropping the connection. No more drop outs, 5 GHz wifi rocks! :)